United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Some basic info, so you don't have to go to the main game page, which includes all of this and more.

# of Players: 2 − 5
Designed By: Scott Caputo
Art By: Andy Hopp
Published By: Bucephalus Games

Kachina is a recent release (August/September 2009) from Bucephalus Games . First question - what do you get?
Everything in the picture below:

Rules, scoring board, tracking tokens, player aid boards, 60 tiles. Nothing fancy here. Everything has a "glossy" finish, rather than the "linen" finish of most games.

What's play like?
Well, setup comes first, right?
In this game, setup time is very low. Put all the tiles face down in a pile, everyone take 5 tiles, and pick someone to start.

(not an actual starting setup)

On my turn, what do I do?
Almost simpler than setup.
Play a tile from your hand. Score points. Draw another tile.
Easy you say, right?

So what's the twist?

Each tile has a number and most of them have special abilities. When you play your tile, you compare it's number and the other tiles in the same row and column. If your number is greater than any of their numbers, then you "dominate" and score that row/column. You get 1 point per tile in the row. Rows and columns are capped at 7 tiles, so the max you could get would be 14 (7+7). Most of times the average is around 5 .

Special abilities? Tell me more...

Well, there's the Koshari who negates all the tiles adjacent to himself.
And the Hummingbird dominates if both the ends have Hummingbirds.
The Warrior allows you to take any tile from the board and put the Warrior there instead.
The Eagle can be played on top of another tile.

I'm still waiting to hear about the brainburning part.
On your turn you have 5 tiles. And arrayed before you is the board of tiles which has changed from the last time you played. And you have to play a single tile almost anywhere there. You might spend a minute to get 6 points instead of just 5. Or your mouth moves as you silently plan out your next 3 turns, trying to get some serious points from those 2 rows.

What do you like/dislike about it?
Looking at the simplicity, you might think it is a filler. No. Be prepared to burn those brain cells for about 30-45min .

Often rows/columns simply turn into "free scoring". I play a wolf, I dominate, get 2 points, you play a wolf, dominate, get 3 points, the next player plays a wolf, dominates, scores 4 points, I play another wolf, dominate, get 5 points, etc. But this doesn't happen that often, as the special abilities will react with each other. "Played an Ogre. Nope, you can't play that tile next to mine"

All the tiles are "universal" - no one owns any tiles as they lay them down. Yet you still like to say that row is "yours" and get upset because she messed up your plans for it.

Sometimes you just don't have the right tiles for the current situation. But don't most games have this feeling?

Verdict?
I give it a "7" on the BGG scale. (Good game, usually willing to play) Nothing super special, but I can't think of many other games with such simplicity, yet with a touch of randomness, and a rather large dash of the "thinking required" spice.

*Note: I received this game as a review game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the perfect strategy game if you've only got an hour to play, that's how much I like this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Added to my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.