Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Biggs
United States
Fairlawn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hopefully no one has posted this before and if so, they can give me the answer. We just got finished playing tonight and some of the people playing, everyone being brand new to the game ecept me, seemed to find a loophole in the brig rules to get a lot done. Heres the scenario:

4 player game.
Helo Character was sent to the Brig.
Starbuck sent to the Brig.
Tyrol Is Admiral and free (result of Helo going to the brig)
Roselin (me) is president, free and concealed Cylon (and going easy on them because its their first time playing the game and trying to teach)

Once in the Brig those players made no attempt to have thmselves released. Instead on their turn they kept drawing their full compliment of cards and one (and sometimes both) of them would almost always got an Executive order card, which they would in turn allow other people on the board to repair, take out enemies, play Quorum cards, etc. Because this was offically their (the person in the brig) turn, no crisis card would be drawn. So the typical game round would consist of 3-4 player turns with only two Crisis cards being drawn. This seems like a lot of crisis free turns. Am I missing something here? Doesn't seem like its in the spirit of the game to willingly (or even logical)go to the brig so that you can get crisis free rounds.

Also while I know that, while in the brig, a player can contribute only 1 card to a skill check, can s/he still use other cards to INFLUENCE it (e.g. Declare Emeregency)? It still seems that the player in question has a LOT of power while in the brig, which sort of defeats the purpose of being put in there. They also were doing that a lot.

I thought that maybe while in the brig, there should be a rule change that states that you can draw only ONE card from each skill set you are entitled to rather than the full compliment. That would still allow them to collect skill cards but still hamper their ability to use them which would compensate for the "no crisis card, which is what the inital intent of the Brig space to begin with. Is there a rule I'm missing here? Thanks in advance for your help and input on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
I think this question has been debated a long time ago in the strategy section, you might want to look for it here.

It probably looked like an exploit to you because you were going easy on them. Had I been in the same situation, I would have sent Tyrol in the brig with an arrest order and would have then led the Galactica with bad jumps and crises. If you hoard the correct cards before doing that, you can prevent them from getting out during several turns, and you'll hurt them a lot in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, no changes would be necessary if you're in Brig.

As mentioned, if you brig enough people, you'll become the admiral eventually and will be able to choose poor destination cards. Low distance to draw out the game and put more crisis cards on the table, which in turn will eventually wear out hands of skill cards; or choose big distances to really put the hurt on fuel. Also, waste nukes when you don't really need to use them

In such a situation where a handful of characters are in the Brig may seem like a good thing, but

1) you get more skill cards then you know what to do with

2) you can't activate any of the locations outside of the brig. No president's office, no hangar bay to luanch yourself if you need to defend the Colonial fleet, etc.

3) only 1 skill card towards skill checks. Not enough to pass certain checks

4) no crisis cards drawn while in the Brig. May give you reprive to gather up more skill cards for future crisis cards, but you need crisis cards to get jump icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I'd highlight that the humans NEED to draw crisis cards to win. No crisis cards, no jumps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humans need crises in order to jump, so the 'free actions' come at a hefty price. The brigged players also can't help much on the crises that DO happen, so that's your penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus a card which could go toward skill checks is being used to move another character when you could move for free if you weren't in the brig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WolvenFury wrote:

Also while I know that, while in the brig, a player can contribute only 1 card to a skill check, can s/he still use other cards to INFLUENCE it (e.g. Declare Emeregency)? It still seems that the player in question has a LOT of power while in the brig, which sort of defeats the purpose of being put in there. They also were doing that a lot.

I thought that maybe while in the brig, there should be a rule change that states that you can draw only ONE card from each skill set you are entitled to rather than the full compliment. That would still allow them to collect skill cards but still hamper their ability to use them which would compensate for the "no crisis card, which is what the inital intent of the Brig space to begin with. Is there a rule I'm missing here? Thanks in advance for your help and input on this.

The biggest harm for humans to have people in the brig is that their pace toward Kobol is slowing down and thus giving Cylons more time to sabotage. Giving executive orders is the only positive thing for a human in the brig can do to help a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.