Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

EDIT: This round of playtesting has concluded. Thanks to everyone who participated! The original message is as follows:

I've put together a playtest pack for the quick-start version of my PDF-delivered, hex-based hover combat racing board game.

It's designed for 2 to 8 players ages 12 and up. You're going to need 1 six-sided die per player, and 1 coin or other token per player. You'll also need 1 color print on cardstock, and 5 or 6 black-and-white or color prints on plain paper. You'll also need scissors and glue. Assembly is very easy and should take you 20 minutes, tops. There's a PDF rulebook of about 30 pages that you can print at your option.

I'm going to want playtest reports in a couple of weeks, even if it's just to tell me that you couldn't be arsed to play it or write a full report. Obviously I'm hoping for something more useful than that, but if you only want to use this as a chance to play a free little game, that's cool with me.

Just let me know if you're interested by posting in this thread, by sending me a PM or an email. I'll let you know where you can download the playtest pack.

This is playtest round 1. Any playtester who sticks with me through the final playtest (round x) will earn a free copy of the complete game when and if I release it.

Dave Graffam
Email: luminousbeings@yahoo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Marenic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Playtest] Hex-based hover combat racing board game
I'm game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Long
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it anything like F-Zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Is it anything like F-Zero?

In the sense that it involves racing hovercraft, yes. As a board game, you won't get the same illusion of speed that you get with video games, of course. I've tried to design my game to seem fast, so that each vehicle covers a lot of ground on each turn. If you work it out, the hovercraft in my game are racing at speeds of about 50mph to 120mph but the racing is much tighter and the turns are sharper than you'd find in F-Zero or Podracer, where the speeds are absolutely incredible.

F-Zero is pretty slick, and I've always felt that those sorts of hovercraft were basically magic. I've tried to rationalize the hovercars in my setting and make them grittier and more plausible. My vehicles are more like low-level Moller aircars or VTOL aircraft rather than contragravity landspeeders.

My game is inspired by Formula 1, Nascar, dirt track racing and other motorsports, and since it's set in a crumbling near future it's going to remind people of Car Wars and Mad Max and lots of other dark future road-warrior games and settings. While the objective isn't to kill your competition, you can certainly knock them (or blast them) out of the race.

The world hasn't fallen apart completely, however. Although it's not featured in this basic version of the game, future playtests will include the campaign system that's something like Oregon Trail. For replay value, the game gives players lots of ways to rebuild civilization from the brink of disaster by helping out others. There are also ways to build your own racing-related businesses, and team management is a big part of the campaign system. I also have some non-racing scenarios planned out, with objectives such as 'stop that train' or 'run the blockade'.

I would describe this game's playstyle as being similar to Battlestations, with some light roleplaying elements that are designed to keep players coming back to racetracks to test out their new driver skills, equipment and vehicles. Customizing your racing operation, and even developing all-new player-designed equipment and vehicles will be possible. You can attempt to sell your custom creations to other racing teams and open a showroom and dealership to try to turn a profit from the public.

But for this playtest, it's just the basic game. Zip around the track and get used to how the hovercraft move and interact with each other. There's a minimal selection of vehicles, weapons, gadgets and skills so that you can quickly create a driver and outfit them and get right to the racing. I need to know that the basic racing is working and that it's reasonably fun. The whole game should come to life when I introduce the campaign system, since that's what's going to keep players interested in the next race or scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
In please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Sounds like a deep game. I like that you're trying to make it into something much larger than just a racing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to everyone who's showed an interest! I'm going to look over the playtest pack today and make sure everything's in place, and I'll be contacting you by PM with the download link.

If this basic version of the game works for you, I think you're really going to have fun with the stuff that I'm going to include in the second playtest. That's going to open up the 'after the race' aspects, which give you lots of new strategies for success on the track and reveal some of the light roleplaying features. And of course I'll be including lots more weapons, gadgets, hired crew members and a couple of new vehicle types to test out. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

If you're interested in playtesting and you haven't received a PM from me by tomorrow, just let me know and I'll get you set up.

Thanks for volunteering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am intrigued by this. Please put me down as interested, but I am not sure how much effort I can put into testing it (let alone making it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sent a PM to everyone who expressed a serious interest in playtesting. If you didn't get a message but you still want to try it out, let me know and I'll get you set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Today's the last day to get your playtest reports in. If you need more time, just let me know.

If I haven't heard from you by tomorrow, I'll proceed with the feedback I've received so far and get to work on the second playtest pack.

Thanks to everybody who expressed an interest, and most especially to those who have already submitted their report. I received some great feedback and I'm excited about the next phase of this project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.