Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a D&D gamer myself, I can see your concern. However, the rules answer your question, as you only place the monsters in an area when it is revealed, i.e. a door leading into that area is opened.

Therefore, at the game's beginning, only the monsters, tokens, and others in the starting area (if any) will be present. When the heroes open the first door, every token, monster and door will be placed in Area 1, and so on and so forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the players, most of the time the heroes will not want to take more breaks than absolutely necessary, since time is on the OLs side, if you take more than one or two turns regrouping after clearing a room, you're giving the OL a lot of time to prepare for the next battle.

The OL can also force constant battle most of the time if the heroes can't secure their route against spawns, it's not necessarily in his best interest to do so (a series of ineffectual strikes is worth a lot less than preparing for a few rounds of heavy hitting), but it's possible.

There are also a few cards (from the expansions) that allow an OL to rush monsters from unexplored sections to the battle, if I remember correctly.

All that said, Descent is not a slow game, especially the heroes need to make every turn count to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johniken
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I was wondering about returning to town to buy items for your characters as you get gold portion of the game. I got the impression that you had to do that as your progressed through the dungeon. But there would have to be a break in the fighting to do that wouldn’t there? You cant honestly have one of the players say “I return to town to buy items” while the other players are fighting off monsters can you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
cthulhuspawn82 wrote:
I was wondering about returning to town to buy items for your characters as you get gold portion of the game. I got the impression that you had to do that as your progressed through the dungeon. But there would have to be a break in the fighting to do that wouldn’t there? You cant honestly have one of the players say “I return to town to buy items” while the other players are fighting off monsters can you?

That's pretty much exactly how it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, there are transportation glyphs in the dungeons you can use to go to Tamalir...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cthulhuspawn82 wrote:

As the Overlord, I delight in providing a free trip to town for the heroes. When you die, you go to town and have to return to the dungeon on the next turn. Sometimes heroes take this opportunity to shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGelatinousCube wrote:

As the Overlord, I delight in providing a free trip to town for the heroes. When you die, you go to town and have to return to the dungeon on the next turn. Sometimes heroes take this opportunity to shop.

of course they have to do so on a much smaller budget in that case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Eckels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
TheGelatinousCube wrote:

Such a carebear overlord... I hope your heroes are thankful for your saving them the movement points. Also, I bet they're excited that they get to return from town so they can start every Overlord turn in the dungeon. They really are very lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they are! My benevolence doesn't stop there, either. I worry about their encumbrance, so I use my Crushing Blow card to lighten their load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.