United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you have got to start with. What are your ideas? Have you got ideas for a theme? Do you have ideas regarding mechanics? Is the game going to be a board game or card game, or something else? Can you playtest your ideas in your mind?

Don't worry about posting your thoughts here, that is what this forum is all about. Others will encourage you and assist you in working out suitable mechanics, etc. If your ideas have flaws, they will be pointed out to you.

Let us know a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Laurent
Finland
Lohja
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My process goes typically like this:

1) Inspiration. Might be anything from single sentence, picture to mood caused by music.
2) Flesh out the inspiration. This involves analysing the inspiration. Is there anything that would be catching in a game?
3) What kind of game this would be? Rough ideas about possible actions and interactions in the game.
4) Try to transform all the previous to some kind of ruleset.
5) Prototype
6) Playtest

In all of the stages above I try to keep in mind the original feeling I'm trying to transmit in the game. In some cases it's just something too vague to really build a game upon. Sometimes the idea just don't transfer to a game well enough.

Typically there is plenty of culling between the steps i.e. most of the inspirations never get fleshed out, and very few end up in the prototyping stage.

Never be afraid to scrap the idea if you have to do too many compromises to your original vision. You might salvage what the idea has become as a different game but try to realise that.

Anyways. All of us have plenty of ideas but what really counts if you want to see your game in the final stages is just perseverence and lots and lots of work.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris balden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Can play test in my mind.
Have got the idea on paper, prototype map , the regiments involved,it will be card driven rules are half done , a lot of the work has been done.

It is a 2nd w.w. scene. what more can I say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
burnel wrote:

QFP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burnel wrote:

No, you can't. Trust me on this one. Every proto I make I "playtest in my mind" and almost always the real playtests go differently.

The important thing really is to figure out not what mechanics to include, but what you want the game to be like, and work backwards from there.

That, and playtest playtest playtest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get stuck, get help. Brainstorming sessions with a couple of gaming buddies are a wonderful way to get ideas flowing, sometimes in directions you would not have gone if you tried it alone. Most ideas (about 99% of them) will get thrown out as they will not fix your problem, but some of the ones that don't work by themselves may lead you to the ones that do.

And then what unixrevolution said: "playtest,playtest,playtest."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris balden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Is their away to protect your idea at the start so nobody can steal it from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend reading these links:

Designer Board Game Basics: http://www.amherstlodge.com/games/reference/gameinvented.htm
Game Design Concepts: Online design course: http://gamedesignconcepts.wordpress.com/
How to Prototype a Game in Under 7 Days: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051026/gabler_01.shtml
Copyright Info for designers: http://gamedesignconcepts.pbworks.com/Legal-Issues-for-Game-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
burnel wrote:

No, you can't. Trust me on this one. Every proto I make I "playtest in my mind" and almost always the real playtests go differently.

I tried to think of a polite way to respond, but couldn't. I'm glad you did. I simply resorted to Quoting For Posterity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:
burnel wrote:

I tried to think of a polite way to respond, but couldn't. I'm glad you did. I simply resorted to Quoting For Posterity.

The truth is, Playtesting is the one thing I fervently believe will produce a good game above all else. There are some games that played just fine in my head, but were completely broken as a real game. Only playtesting solved the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris balden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you very much guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
burnel wrote:

The fact that you appear willing to listen means you are miles ahead already. Designing a game is hard work no matter how you do it, but its even harder if you think you have all the answers already.

Don't worry too much about writing rules - just play it, solo first until you get all the bugs out and catch the obvious errors, then with friends and finally with people you don't know that learn the game compltely from the rules without you there.

Keep iterating till it works and is fun. But don't be afraid to abandon ship and try something else. You can always go back later and revive it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
burnel wrote:

The fact that you appear willing to listen means you are miles ahead already. Designing a game is hard work no matter how you do it, but its even harder if you think you have all the answers already.

Don't worry too much about writing rules - just play it, solo first until you get all the bugs out and catch the obvious errors, then with friends and finally with people you don't know that learn the game compltely from the rules without you there.

Keep iterating till it works and is fun. But don't be afraid to abandon ship and try something else. You can always go back later and revive it.
This is advice I should have followed 4 weeks ago probably.

BTW, Travis suggested that my "next step" is a solo playtest - I really had not thought of doing that with Segundai and now it should have been the first thing I did (I've done it before with my other games), and to call it a next step shows you that I messed up quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris balden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Regarding Copy write law ,

If I had developed an idea and written it down for a game ,does this mean that a third party can not use it with out your permission.Even though at the outset you were working together.

For example in a card driven game if you had done work on cards that described an event they could not be used by someone else in a diffrent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

Boy ain't that the truth. I think I have about eight or nine designs I have spent considerable time with, probably two to three weeks a piece. Of those, maybe two or three have been viable games. I'm not even talking "fun" games. I'm talking viable because they still are missing an ingredient from making them live up to your initial excitement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
burnel wrote:
Regarding Copy write law ,

If I had developed an idea and written it down for a game ,does this mean that a third party can not use it with out your permission.Even though at the outset you were working together.

For example in a card driven game if you had done work on cards that described an event they could not be used by someone else in a diffrent game.

Board games are one of the more lenient pieces of intellectual property out there. If you don't want to lose your idea, don't let it loose unless you are sure what you have is unique and well developed.

The approach that I'm seeing (and taking) is creating a game, not creating a game page and hyping it up. I went out and found some playtesters arming them only with a theme and a flavor for what my game is like based on others they may know. Then I ask for shipping addresses (domestic and otherwise) and ship out prototypes. From there, I get responses and from there I decide if it is still worth pestering a publisher. If a publisher doesn't want it, I self-publish it if I'm up for it. If I'm not up for it, it's print-and-play and everyone wins anyways.

For me, hype comes later. Much later. Bindle Rails was an exception because it was by and large a community effort and I had no intention of taking it to a publisher. Because of that, it was hyped as much as I could here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.