Popular Tags: 18xx [+] [View All]
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it would be interesting to re-draw 1830. I wanted more of an old-time americana feel. The rendering of the Great Lakes and Atlantic coast for this map, and also the typographic style, came from a map in the Library of Congress archive:
A new and complete railroad map of the United States compiled from reliable sources (circa 1857!).

I thought I'd post here, in case I made some grievous typo or informational error. If all is correct, I'll post in the files section.

edit: I am uploading all files for this project to this page: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/47684. The map, trains and privates are all complete and uploaded.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Lovely. And just at the right time, as I'm considering making a homemade version of 1830.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Nicely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great job.

The only thing is that the company colours are different from the original game (PRR is green instead of Red). Of course, it's not a problem if you're creating Company charters too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth M.
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you're trying to exactly match the original 1830 board, if you are, two errors:
A19 connects Montreal to both B18 and B20.
Also, A17 has a curve linking B16 to B18.

It does look like a good map. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for seeing that. Now I see that A17 is a grey hex also. These will be fixed on the .pdf file.

I will also try to match colors to the conventional colors.

If anyone wants to go over the map at full res, this is on my personal gallery:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/572884

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

But that's Lake Huron, not Michigan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If printed out, will the tiles from 1830 fit right? Also, how do I format it to print out correctly for the printer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
If printed out, will the tiles from 1830 fit right? Also, how do I format it to print out correctly for the printer?

When I finalize the design, I'll post a .pdf to the files section that should print to size on two sheets of 11x17 paper. It should be the right size for standard tiles.

And yes, Lake Huron. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Noe
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is wonderful. The current home-made version i have makes it very difficult to read the letters, and this is so much better. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I really like this, I'd love to print one too. :-)

The styling is simple and elegant, the design suits the period and theme, the fonts and coloring are well chosen and integrated, the map has a nice traditional/parchment map look, it's not busy, everything is well marked, the railroads stand out nicely.. I could go on.. but you get the idea.

The shading on the coastal areas - particularly around Lake Ontario and Boston - that terrain looks just a little heavy, and distracting imho. (But this could be an artifact of the image rather than a printout.)

Anyway, very very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Some of the lettering is off centered and off level. It evokes the hand-lettered maps of past. I do hope you don't plan on fixing these ostensible flaws, as I find them very charming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Some of the lettering is off centered and off level. It evokes the hand-lettered maps of past. I do hope you don't plan on fixing these ostensible flaws, as I find them very charming.

In the Library of Congress map linked above, almost all place names are slightly crooked. I surmise that the map was in fact hand lettered, although the script is an astonishingly close match to Goudy Old Style Caslon.

I tried to emulate that look and still maintain legibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Very nice. I like, and particularly like that everything is named (a significant improvement over the original's map). Well done.

- The towns at F24 and I19 use circles rather than the rectangular cross-track bars used by the track-tiles. For visual consistency with the track tiles, it would be good to make those cross-bars.

- The black circles for the un-built towns seem a visually over-powered compared to the rest of the map's features. Knocking them back a little or making them less visually strong might be good (15% diameter decrease?).

- It would probably be better if you didn't make the off-board areas hexes. Square off their outside edges or make 'em blobs. The treatment of off-boards as singular contiguous areas with multiple points of coherent presence is a common source of confusion with new players. Making the larger off-boards a single blobs which touch multiple hexes would help this.

- Thank you for including the coordinate indexes! Putting the north-south index on the top edge will stop it from interfering with expansions that push the map south (eg Coalfields). While not a Big Thing, might it be possible to put the east-west index on the right? That would stop the expansions like Coalfields and Wabash which push out the south-east from overlaying the index. (Hurm, putting the indexes on the right may be too visually busy for the already crowded east coast. Hurm.)

- Would you be up for doing variants of the same map, one with the Coalfields extensions, and one with the Wabash extensions?

- What do you think of putting a racetrack for company dividends in the corners, DTG-style? 1830 is considerably improved by visibly tracking dividends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful...makes me want to mug someone and steal a copy of 1830 even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really love it if you would also did the Coalfield expansion to match this style. Thank you so much for such a beautiful map!

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, there's a lot of interest in this project. Thanks for the corrections and suggestions - I have incorporated most of them. This is a low-res of the corrected map, which I'll upload as .pdf to the files section later today.

JC, I thought it would be odd to have the vertical coordinates on the right. But similar letters can be added to expansion maps, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
E5 should also be yellow, much like D10.

Thanks Peter. My board in 1830 has now fallen apart into two sections, worn out and abused. You've made part of the decision on buying a new copy or building my own easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I eagerly await the PDF download for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
pdf files are uploaded, but they may be a while before they are approved by the moderators. I uploaded the board as two files because the single file was over BGG's size limit. download both, and print each one on a 11x17 inch sheet. I assume there is an equivalent euro sheet, but I don't know it. Enjoy!

I will try to make matching shares and charters next week. I'd also love to make train cards. If anyone knows a source for 19th C. locomotive illustrations - woodcuts preferred - please share!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
With access to a large format printer was hoping to have the ability to print it out as a single file as well. Oh well, guess it was too large to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
With access to a large format printer was hoping to have the ability to print it out as a single file as well. Oh well, guess it was too large to do so.

A few minutes with any graphics package that understands PDF should fix that for you.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.