United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The coach and the player share the blame on this one:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Vermon...

(Boneheadedness starts at 1:30.)

For those who can't/rather not watch:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Down two points with 1 second left on the clock, Team A attempts a long field goal. Team B lines two players up in the end zone to catch it if it's short. The short kick is indeed caught by a Team B player, who, while running towards the sideline in celebration, spikes the ball in-bounds. It's scooped up by a Team A player who carries it into the end zone for the win.

While the spiking-a-live-ball aspect is bad enough, why the hell did the coach line those guys up in the endzone? A short kick would've been a dead ball had they just let it hit the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh........it's a high school game!! Whew!!

If it would have been the NFL........then WOW!!

Awesome though Erak; definitely the worst play planning possible. What did that coach think? That catching the short field goal was a more exciting victory? Dumb, dumb, dumb........well, at least NOW they know how dumb that was!!

shake

PS: Can't wait to get home to actually "see" the video. So far, just reading about it has been FANTASTIC!!

kiss

THANKS!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard about this on the radio this morning.

The coach of the team called in and clarified that it was a bad call on the refs part. Apparently, there is a league rule that prevents returning the ball from the end-zone. It was technically a dead ball when the kid caught it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a high school referee myself. While I can't see the spot where the other team caught the ball to tell if it's in the End Zone or not, the announcer said he caught it IN the End Zone.

If so, the officials botched the call on that one!

Rule 6-3-1:
It is a touchback if any free kick or scrimmage kick:
b) Which is a three-point field goal attempt, in flight touches a K player in R's end zone, or after breaking the plane of R's goal line is unsuccessful.

(Field Goals are a type of Scrimmage Kick, for what it's worth).

Thus, if the Otter Valley kid DID catch it in the end zone, 6-3-1b should have applied - it was a 3 point attempt, and was unsuccessful after crossing the goal line!

Vermont uses NFHS rules, and by having representation on the NFHS rules committee it is implied that Vermont plays the NFHS rules exactly as written, so unless the state does have a "house rule" for that (which I find unlikely), the officials botched that one - it should have been a touchback (and dead immediately, per Rule 4-2-2-d2: "(4-2-2)The ball becomes dead and the down is ended: (d)When any legal free kick or scrimmage kick: (2)Which is a scoring attempt, while in flight touches a K player in R's end zone, or after breaking the plane of R's goal line has apparently failed.")

However, if the kid caught the ball on the 1 yard line (or anywhere NOT inside the goal line), then the right call was made, but it does sound like it was caught beyond the goal line, and it should have been dead immediately with a touchback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Yay! We won! We won! We are so awesome! Best team ever! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

PS: Can't wait to get home to actually "see" the video. So far, just reading about it has been FANTASTIC!!

The best part is the reaction of the player who fumbled it right as the play ends. It's only a fraction of a second, but still funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My first thought when I read the title was the play in the Eagles-Cowboys game last year where DeSean Jackson was running into the end zone untouched and flipped the ball out of his hands in celebration. The problem was that he did so before he got to the end zone so the touchdown didn't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I should point out that the kid who spiked the ball shouldn't have done that anyway (aside from the fact spiking the ball is explicitly an unsportsmanlike conduct foul). Regardless of whether the officials made the right call, that kid SHOULD have still taken a knee, run out of bounds, or whatever - IE, while I think the officials made the wrong call from what I can tell, the player still should be in control of his own actions.

And yeah, having those two kids back in the end zone was probably not the best idea, but it could be important in case the ball is blocked and starts bouncing down the field - you want to have at least one or two safeties back there to clean up something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, football fans! This week's Chit Chat Film Club Film Of The Week is a football flick, The Replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
True, I should point out that the kid who spiked the ball shouldn't have done that anyway (aside from the fact spiking the ball is explicitly an unsportsmanlike conduct foul). Regardless of whether the officials made the right call, that kid SHOULD have still taken a knee, run out of bounds, or whatever - IE, while I think the officials made the wrong call from what I can tell, the player still should be in control of his own actions.

And yeah, having those two kids back in the end zone was probably not the best idea, but it could be important in case the ball is blocked and starts bouncing down the field - you want to have at least one or two safeties back there to clean up something like that.

Whether there was a botched call or not, I consider this 15 tons of humility in exchange for 5 ounces of cockiness.

Good mistake... good learning experience -- hopefully -- for Mr. Bonehead Spike the Ball Before Time Expires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he was in the endzone. You can see where he crosses the 10, and try to judge where he caught the ball relative to that. Maybe he was (or thought he was) and he actually knew the rule, though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom - I agree with the cockiness/humility part Had he done that during a non-end-of-game dead-ball situation, he would have been given a 15-yard penalty. Spiking the ball is EXPLICITLY prohibited in the rules

molnar - Yeah, it's hard to tell. The camera guy kept moving so it is hard to see where the end zone really is. I'm just going based off the announcer saying it was in the end zone. I tried watching it several times, and the angle of the camera is just too hard to tell, since you can't see the close pylon to tell for sure.

If it never crossed the goal line, then the call was right. But again, the announcer, the "coach that called in", and even some of the comments on the page erak posted indicates that it WAS in the end zone. Who knows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After taking another look, I saw something that actually quite convinces me it WAS in the endzone, and not just by a little bit:

The red circle is around the Pylon at the Goal Line (as indicated by the "G" next to it). The Pylon in the middle is at the "end line" (ie, back of the end zone). The pylon you see on the left is actually outside the end line by several yards, lined up with the "inbounds" lines (aka, hash marks, marked by the "Inb." in my picture below). EDIT: labeled the pylons on the screenshot

Thus, it looks pretty clear to me that the kid was deep in the end zone when he caught it.

EDIT: Updated the screenshot to show the pylons to compare with the diagram
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if that's the case, the league should reverse the call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:

Well, if I recall, NFHS rules do not allow for appeals, protests, or reversals after the game, unfortunately. (I'll have to look, it may be a state adoption thing, but I'm pretty sure it's not). The only exceptions I know of are when it comes to using illegal players (without the referee knowing; unfortunately, we don't get a list of who is and isn't allowed) or other situations where the referees don't have direct control over it, and then the state can come in and forfeit a game. But I don't think NFHS rules would allow a reversal in this particular situation.

Really, I'm not even sure if the NCAA or even NFL would overturn the results of a game based on something like this. I don't know for sure, as I'm not nearly as familiar with NCAA or NFL rules. But I'm fairly sure that once a game is over there, the game stands unless there is something extreme that would cause the reversal due to forfeiture.

TV Replay is actually specifically forbidden at the high school level (Rule 1-1-9), in part, I would guess, because to use it, it would have to be universal or it wouldn't be fair to schools that don't have the equipment to do so.

As much as it sucks for the losing team, that's just the way it goes. Hopefully those officials realize what they did wrong and don't do it again. Officials aren't perfect (I've made my share of bad calls myself, unfortunately), but it really sucks when a call like that literally costs the game. (Granted, even the bad call could have been prevented by the player as noted by others above, so the player does have some blame in it also).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought this was going to be the (Redskins?) coach who called one of those bush league Time Outs as the ball was snapped on a game winning FG attempt. Kicker missed, TO had already been awarded, and the kicker made the kick secnd time around . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
molnar wrote:

Well, if I recall, NFHS rules do not allow for appeals, protests, or reversals after the game, unfortunately. (I'll have to look, it may be a state adoption thing, but I'm pretty sure it's not). The only exceptions I know of are when it comes to using illegal players (without the referee knowing; unfortunately, we don't get a list of who is and isn't allowed) or other situations where the referees don't have direct control over it, and then the state can come in and forfeit a game. But I don't think NFHS rules would allow a reversal in this particular situation.

Really, I'm not even sure if the NCAA or even NFL would overturn the results of a game based on something like this. I don't know for sure, as I'm not nearly as familiar with NCAA or NFL rules. But I'm fairly sure that once a game is over there, the game stands unless there is something extreme that would cause the reversal due to forfeiture.

TV Replay is actually specifically forbidden at the high school level (Rule 1-1-9), in part, I would guess, because to use it, it would have to be universal or it wouldn't be fair to schools that don't have the equipment to do so.

As much as it sucks for the losing team, that's just the way it goes. Hopefully those officials realize what they did wrong and don't do it again. Officials aren't perfect (I've made my share of bad calls myself, unfortunately), but it really sucks when a call like that literally costs the game. (Granted, even the bad call could have been prevented by the player as noted by others above, so the player does have some blame in it also).

What if the coach of the winning team retroactively forfeited the game? I can see this level of sportsmanship happening at the high school level if it's allowed by the league (considering, of course, it was a blown call and not caught on the 1-yard line).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw it, saw it, saw it!!!

Incredible!!!

WOW!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, as I was reading the paper this morning I saw that they named the kid who recovered the ball as one of the athletes of the week.

Thanks for posting the video, I had missed that one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
What if the coach of the winning team retroactively forfeited the game? I can see this level of sportsmanship happening at the high school level if it's allowed by the league (considering, of course, it was a blown call and not caught on the 1-yard line).

Hmm, that's a good question, I don't know. I suppose if a team willingly forfeit, they'd probably allow it. Reversing a single call, they probably won't do, but forfeiting a game, they might allow. That can be pretty harsh, though, because if the forfeiting team was ahead, the score of the game is essentially nullified. I think they count those games as if they were a 1-0 game (which could have playoff ramifications).

However, that may be a state thing. I don't even know how our state handles it, to be honest, as that's more of a state association thing, which I'm not as familiar with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.