1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: How complex is the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OI OI
msg tools
Hi again!

I thought about buying this game, but I was wondering if this game is complex enough (because I want to buy a complex game).
So I wanted to ask you, is this game suitable for more experienced players?
Or is it beginners-friendly (like The Settlers of Catan, Ticket to ride, etc.)?

Thanx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is quite beginner-friendly. You can find the rules online at the Rio Grande Games website.

The game has a fair amount of depth and is definitely suitable for experienced players as well, but if you're specifically looking for something complex to learn, then keep looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Krupa
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is fast, simple and addictive with high replayability. If you want a card game it is very difficult to find something better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Simple, deep.
2) Spiel des Jahres.

This should really tell you everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother-in-law, whose normal fare is Scattergories and Pictionary, had a blast with this last Christmas, and actually won her third game by a point.

It's as easy as A B C.

One note: When explaining the game to newbies who aren't gamers, I indicate that the goal isn't to get VICTORY POINTS, but to accumulate PROPERTY, as represented by the green cards (ESTATE, DUCHY, PROVINCE and GARDENS in the basic game). That helps cement the game in their head when they have a background of Monopoly.

Later, as I introduce Intrigue, I'll indicate that there are other things of value too (the other greens), and by then they'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it can become literally as complex as your playgroup/random set of kingdom cards will support.

Meaning at first our games were quite simple and straightforward, but now we have tendencies that we all know, so we are metagaming each other while playing the game and pulling off insane combos.

I think you won't be dissapointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty straightforward. CCG-lite. However, once the base mechanics are down, then the strategy comes in.

However, if you let people know that if they have 8 gold, buy a province; 6 gold, buy gold; anything less, buy the best action/money at that cost ... it's the game in a nutshell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are very easy, but putting together a winning strategy based upon the available kingdom cards can be complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
The rules are very easy, but putting together a winning strategy based upon the available kingdom cards can be complex.

Exactly what I was going to say. Learning to play is simple, takes about as long as it does to set up the game--learning to play *well*, or to strategize, is deceptively deep. It's no ASL but I think it's a great game for gamers from beginners to experienced.

I like the concept of "buying land/property" instead of "buying points". That makes sense with the theme and makes it a little more concrete in some beginner's minds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The complexity increases with every expansion. But it probably won't ever get to "complex" in the ASL sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IOIOIO wrote:
Hi again!

I thought about buying this game, but I was wondering if this game is complex enough (because I want to buy a complex game).
So I wanted to ask you, is this game suitable for more experienced players?
Or is it beginners-friendly (like The Settlers of Catan, Ticket to ride, etc.)?

Thanx!

It's not very complex. My 7-year-old son can play it with some degree of competency. It's definitely not as complex as games such as Indonesia, Age of Steam, or Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OI OI
msg tools
thank you, but I'm not sure you got me right.
I'm wondering if this game is "challenging" enough, and if you really need to think and plan for several moves ahead.
And if not, what another game who meets these requirements you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IOIOIO wrote:
I'm wondering if this game is "challenging" enough, and if you really need to think and plan for several moves ahead.

There isn't generally much planning for your next turn. Your current turn and your next turn are almost entirely unrelated, and you usually won't know in advance what your next hand will look like.

However, the decision of how to shape your deck and thus what card(s) to buy is a deeply strategic one that will determine what your future hands will look like in general.

Does this answer your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different people have different views on what makes a game 'challenging', so that's a tough question to answer... but I'd say, yes, it's challenging - but in an unusual kind of way.

You are always planning ahead in Dominion, because the cards you buy aren't available to you immediately. You will get to use them later, but you never know exactly when, so planning isn't a exact science - quite the opposite really. It's all about probabilities.
Because you draw all new cards every turn, you can do very little planning for your next turn (although the Seaside expansion is set to change that) but the card(s) you buy will affect the probability of having even better later turns.
(If all of this sounds very vague, sorry - I can't think of ways to explain it any better)

So if you're looking for a game where you do a lot of meticulous planning for the next (couple of) turn(s), Dominion isn't for you. Try Puerto Rico, Princes of Florence or Power Grid instead just to name a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
It is quite beginner-friendly. You can find the rules online at the Rio Grande Games website.

Well, the rules are available. However, I can tell you, without benefit of having the cards in front of you, the rules are nearly indecipherable. Most card games are like this. It's due to the universal "if the card text contradicts any rule as written, the card supersedes the written rule"-rule.

It's not really a problem. I'm just saying, it won't make much sense without the cards to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But to piggyback off of this post, if you have a good memory you can do some planning for your next turn. IE if you know what you have a good chance of drawing on your next turn, you can plan a little bit... but the planning is more internal. You plan your ultimate deck composition, and then try to make it work given what you can do on a turn/responding to your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vliam wrote:
Well, the rules are available. However, I can tell you, without benefit of having the cards in front of you, the rules are nearly indecipherable. Most card games are like this. It's due to the universal "if the card text contradicts any rule as written, the card supersedes the written rule"-rule.

It's not really a problem. I'm just saying, it won't make much sense without the cards to look at.

The rules contain pictures of all the cards, so I can't really see how this is a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
The rules contain pictures of all the cards, so I can't really see how this is a problem.

This?

That's not nearly as helpful as one might think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
IOIOIO wrote:

To answer your question, no, Dominion is not complex. In terms of play experience it is much more like Settlers of Catan than Princes of Florence. This doesn't mean that advanced gamers won't like it, it just means the style of game is different. Since most people like Dominion, you should give it a try, unless you have something against CCG-like games, or card games, or something like that.

For the kind of experience closer to Princes of Florence, I'd recommend In the Year of the Dragon, Age of Steam, or Tikal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Dominion: Intrigue instead. It's stand-alone and a better game if you want complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
I'll have to chime in and go against the trend here - Dominion is dirt simple and not deep at all. A lot of people like it, which is somewhat puzzling. All of my friends who are into "deeper" and more complex games dislike for its simplicity and its lack of interaction between players (which I consider one of the qualities of a deep game).

Among equally skilled players it boils down to pure luck of the draw and only very, very rarely can you say that someone won because of a superior strategy or scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anwar wrote:

Among equally skilled players it boils down to pure luck of the draw and only very, very rarely can you say that someone won because of a superior strategy or scheme.

I totally disagree, I enjoy deeper games, and really enjoy Dominion. It is simplicity but not simple and indeed deep. After 500 plays, I'm still finding new things and depth. The replay value and complexity grows even more over time with different expansions and combinations.

At first, I thought it was over hyped and simple, but after getting intrigue and playing with up to 6 players. It takes a skilled player to consistently win. Double torturer, then council room how much more interaction do you need? :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In deciding whether or not to buy this game, do not rely on the impression you get from the rules. While they are very good at teaching you how to play, the rules do not give you any sense for the strategy involved in the game. This is a game where the depth and strategy become more and more clear and exciting as you play more. I really had no idea what to expect until I played it, maybe it would help to look at some of the sessions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Double torturer, then council room how much more interaction do you need?

With all due respect (and even taking that comment tongue in cheek), I think we differ mightily on what a deep game is, or player interaction.

For the record, I did not dispute that it takes a skilled player to win. Only that among equally skilled players the one with the better approach will not necessarily win. I like games where I can say (in retrospect) "Yeah, that was a clever move there" or "That's the point where you got us". None of that in Dominion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anwar wrote:
Quote:
Double torturer, then council room how much more interaction do you need?

With all due respect (and even taking that comment tongue in cheek), I think we differ mightily on what a deep game is, or player interaction.

For the record, I did not dispute that it takes a skilled player to win. Only that among equally skilled players the one with the better approach will not necessarily win.

That is true of every game that has any kind of random element. That has nothing to do with player interaction.

Quote:
I like games where I can say (in retrospect) "Yeah, that was a clever move there" or "That's the point where you got us". None of that in Dominion though.

I think "none" is a gross overstatement. While I don't see that in every game, I do see it quite a bit with Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.