Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark walston
United States
foley
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the supplements stand alone games which can be played out of the box or do you need a "pilot" game too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Mark

You need one or more full ATS games to play the supplements.

All boxed ATS games contains everything needed to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mb
Toktong Pass: Escape from Chosin is a complete and ready to play game for the ATS system. You do not need to purchase anything else to play this game. If you are looking at any other ATS titles I would be happy to identify which ones are stand alone and which are supplements.

The ATS game system is a squad based system in which hexes are 50 yards in scale and each infantry unit represents 7-12 men. There is a basic game which is only a few pages long and lets you get started quickly and allows you to add detail from the full rule book in a gradual way. I really enjoy the ATS system and highly recommend it. Is shares a similar scale to ASL which has a dedicated fan base and is also a great system.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do need British counters to play four of the scenarios in Toktong Pass. You can play 10 of them with the counters in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark walston
United States
foley
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be helpful to identify the stand alone games, maany thanks!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mb
Kenfeldman wrote:
You do need British counters to play four of the scenarios in Toktong Pass. You can play 10 of them with the counters in the box.

Hadn't noticed this as I have not played all the scenarios yet. Though, I only noticed the need for British units for scenario 14, "The Longest Night." The other scenarios seem to be able to be filled by counters in the box, but always appreciate a head's up as I will add the necessary counters from my surplus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
markwals wrote:
That would be helpful to identify the stand alone games, maany thanks!

Mark

I hope I get them all, but here are the stand alone ATS games.
Darkest December: Battle of the Bulge 1944
Scottish Corridor: Lion Rampant
ATS Stalingrad: Dzerhezinsky Tractor Works 1942
Advanced Tobruk System Basic Game II: Streets of Stalingrad - a good inexpensive starter kit
Advanced Tobruk System Basic Game 1a: Screaming Eagles - another good inexpensive starter kit
ATS Blood & Iron
Panther Line: Army Group North 1944
Arnhem: Defiant Stand
Witches Cauldron: The Oosterbeek Perimeter – Arnhem 1944 - there is an expansion set and a stand alone set that I have seen so be aware of this. You can also buy this together with the above one.
Berlin: Red Victory
Against All Odds
Bloody Omaha: D-Day 1944
Stonne Heights
Clash Along the Psel: The Battle of Kursk 1943
Dien Bien Phu - there is an update to this 1954 battle and I am sure you will find the older version and newer version available.

Be aware that there are ASL equivalents to many of the above titles. I accidentally purchased Blood & Iron in the ASL version on an impulse buy without really reading what I was getting. Gifted it to one of my ASL friends, but wanted you to be aware of this if you are shopping around for ATS titles. Here is the company website if you want to look at supplementals such as extra counter sheets, what expansions are available, and what is in the works for the future.
http://www.criticalhit.com/

I hope you enjoy the ATS system!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
you can find more info in this geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15765/item/287028#item...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Black
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, so I'm interested in this system, but I'm primarily focused on pacific theatre WWII and post WWII conflicts. I have a few questions about where to get started:

1) Do any of you know whether Critical hit is likely to publish more post WWII ATS?

2)Would those of you who know the system suggest going straight to Blood and Iron, Dien Bien Phu, or Toktong Pass?

3) Most of my prior gaming experience is old avalon hill, such as Panzerblitz, Brittania, Titan, etc. Would it be better if I started with Screaming Eagles or Stalingrad, as they are apparently more simple?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Black
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry-I thought of one more question: Where would one get the British units necessary to play the remaining scenarios in Toktong Pass? Are they in Tobruk, or some other game?

Regards-Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos A. L. de Miranda
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mb
Michael,

Mblack wrote:
1) Do any of you know whether Critical hit is likely to publish more post WWII ATS?

From the message board, I think there is (at least) a Vietnam module, and an Algerian Revolution module in the works. I don't know the status of the development of those two modules, though.

Mblack wrote:
2)Would those of you who know the system suggest going straight to Blood and Iron, Dien Bien Phu, or Toktong Pass?
The boxed games have a basic game included, so you should be fine with any of them.

Mblack wrote:
3) Most of my prior gaming experience is old avalon hill, such as Panzerblitz, Brittania, Titan, etc. Would it be better if I started with Screaming Eagles or Stalingrad, as they are apparently more simple?
The basic game have some 4 pages of rules. The Basic Game II - Stalingrad is a good module to consider because it have a "middle grade" rulebook of about 20 pages, that would be a good step to learn the system.

The system is not difficult, with the basic game, included in all the boxes, you should have no problems with it, and it is a lot of fun to play.

calm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos A. L. de Miranda
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mb
Mblack wrote:
Sorry-I thought of one more question: Where would one get the British units necessary to play the remaining scenarios in Toktong Pass? Are they in Tobruk, or some other game?

Regards-Michael
I don't have Toktong Pass, so I don't know what British units are necessary, but you can buy them at the critical Hit web site. There are countersheets for infantry units, armored units, and Gurkha units, but wait for a better answer from someone who actually has the module to be certain of what to do.

calm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Black
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks so much for answering me. Looks like I'm ordering Toktong Pass and Dien Bien Phu. I'll probably also look into Screaming Eagles or Stalingrad as well.

Regards,

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.