Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Thomas
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an odd situation that probably doesn't come up too often.
Investigator A enters gate G. During the next movement phase, Investigator A moves to the second side, and Investigator B,for whatever reasons also enters gate G, not just another gate to the same outer realm, but the same gate (there are no other gates to the same realm at this moment).
Side question before getting to the main question. For the purposes of trading,/healing/etc. are the considered in the same area though A is on the 2nd half, and B is on the 1st half, or would that count only if they both were on the same half?
Okay here is the question. A moves out next turn while B moves to the second area. A then closes the gate and there are no other open gates to the same realm. What happens to B? Do they get lost in time and space for a turn? Do they get ejected to any open gate? Something else?
Are there any mythos cards that would close a gate on an investigator while they were in a realm that would also deal with this situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R_Flagg wrote:
Side question before getting to the main question. For the purposes of trading,/healing/etc. are the considered in the same area though A is on the 2nd half, and B is on the 1st half, or would that count only if they both were on the same half?
They have to be on the same half.

R_Flagg wrote:
Okay here is the question. A moves out next turn while B moves to the second area. A then closes the gate and there are no other open gates to the same realm. What happens to B? Do they get lost in time and space for a turn? Do they get ejected to any open gate? Something else?
Are there any mythos cards that would close a gate on an investigator while they were in a realm that would also deal with this situation?
Nothing immediately happens to B. In the next movement phase, Investigator B would attempt to move, and find no open gate back from their Other World. The rules say that this causes Investigator B to be Lost In Time And Space at that time.

Yes there are Mythos (and possibly other types of) cards that can cause a gate to be closed with an investigator inside.

In this case, it may be wise to have Investigator A wait a turn so B can get out of the gate. You're not obligated to try to close the gate. A could even move away from that location and leave the closing duties to B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Leonard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
The person who taught me the game said that you get lost in time and space for a turn. He also said that in an older version of the game, both characters are lost forever (the guy trapped because he was trapped, the one who closed it because she killed him, an unrecoverable loss of sanity)

I always thought that, if I owned the game, I would house rule so that the investigator has to stay there until another gate to the same realm opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
puck71 is right, you aren't immediately lost in time and space, it only happens if you try to come back from another world and there is no gate to come back through.

TheZMage wrote:
I always thought that, if I owned the game, I would house rule so that the investigator has to stay there until another gate to the same realm opened.

The problem with that is you could be stuck in the other world a long time, if not the entire game. I certainly wouldn't want to do nothing for the remaining hour or three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the replies.
I did wait for them to come out, didn't think of moving on to let them close it... I think I was thinking more if I don't succeed they could then try.
I also thought about the idea of being stuck there until a gate to the realm opened, but thought that would be too nasty.The nightmare card in my mind was:
"Students Clean up Campus
Students of Miskatonic U close all gates on their campus.
Instigators who are in an other world from a gate at the campus may not move next turn. If no other gates to that world are stuck in that world until a gate opens up. They continue to have other world encounters as normal until they escape, unless other world encounter allows them to escape via lost in time and space or other means."

Good to know you can try to escape and failing that just get lost in time and space for a turn... that still causes a delay or two, but not too bad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Adams
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a designer-sanctioned house rule:

Rule 7 - Sanity Loss for Trapping Another Investigator in a Gate: The Investigators are responsible for their actions, so sealing a gate that traps another Investigator with no way to return to Arkham is something that should haunt them. Therefore, in the event this should happen (and it did happen at Origins '05--in fact a mother ignored her daughter’s pleas from the other world and shut the gate rather than waiting a turn for her to return), the Investigator should lose D3 Sanity (roll a die and divide the result by two, rounding up). This is one example--the players may expand this to include any activity in which a player inflicts damage knowingly to another player.

Reason for the House Rule: Adds to the role-play aspect and fun of the game. This rule existed in the original Arkham Horror, but of course the penalty for being trapped in a Gate in the original was death. While we have softened that somewhat in the current edition with only penalizing the trapped Investigator by sending them to Lost in Space & Time, they still lose half their items and half their Clues. Therefore the Investigator that causes such pain (even if there is good reason, like making sure no new monster appeared) should be haunted by their actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we think about the situation as "real life" would the person closing the gate necessarily know someone else was in there? Like if they were already in the second area before the other person was sucked in, they would have no idea they were in there. Would it still haunt them even if they didn't intentionally close them in? Maybe, but I don't know if it's worth a house rule. Generally speaking it's punishment enough wasting your resources with two people in the same gate at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with John, thematically it makes no sense and its already a bitch when one person gets stuck in a dimension. The banter around the table makes up for the anguish of loss: I for one wouldn't let someone forget they'd consigned me to LiTaS in a hurry!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.