Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I've noticed that a lot of my game boards aren't flat anymore or at least as flat as when I purchased them. It's not too big of a deal, just a minor annoyance. I'll leave a hard cover book on a board over night and it alleviates the problem a bit. But it's getting more and more annoying, especially with the thick space hulk tiles.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this because of humidity? I keep my games in an upstairs room. Should I buy a dehumidifier and keep it in the game room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BeanThere wrote:
I've noticed that a lot of my game boards aren't flat anymore or at least as flat as when I purchased them. It's not too big of a deal, just a minor annoyance. I'll leave a hard cover book on a board over night and it alleviates the problem a bit. But it's getting more and more annoying, especially with the thick space hulk tiles.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this because of humidity? I keep my games in an upstairs room. Should I buy a dehumidifier and keep it in the game room?

It's moisture. I solve this by gently bending the boards back against the warpage. This is a very careful process, but I have never had a problem with a warped board.

If a board is warped because it got WET, that's another matter altogether.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
HAhaha... we got pins like that at work one time. Everyone immediately noticed the label on the bag containing the US flag.

Eerily prescient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
aaxiom wrote:
It's moisture. I solve this by gently bending the boards back against the warpage. This is a very careful process, but I have never had a problem with a warped board.

Hope that helps.

I haven't had a board get wet... yet.

But with Red November the board didn't sit flat right out of the box. This was more from the seem not being flexible enough and not the board being warped. So I bent it backwards oh so carefully, then... SNAP! I broke the board in half and an explicit word flew out of my mouth before I could even think. I still have nightmares to this day, and that was only a $20 game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when my boards warp.

Once we've perfected the technology for humans, I'll go right after them! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeanThere wrote:
aaxiom wrote:

Hope that helps.

I haven't had a board get wet... yet.

But with Red November the board didn't sit flat right out of the box. This was more from the seem not being flexible enough and not the board being warped. So I bent it backwards oh so carefully, then... SNAP! I broke the board in half and an explicit word flew out of my mouth before I could even think. I still have nightmares to this day, and that was only a $20 game!

Better way is to put it in high humidity, such as a humidifier barrel, and have it lay flat, then leave it there for a week letting the fibers of the board stretch...then take it out, and still leave it stretched out while it dries so that it lays flat. But whatever you do, DON'T oversoak it or let it get wet...that'll screw you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
I hate it when my boards warp.

Once we've perfected the technology for humans, I'll go right after them! angry

I have a cure. Take a thick bath towel and lay it over the open board. Set iron to LOW...hotter can cause delamination! Go over it slowly and repeatedly using VERY firm pressure. This will "unwarp" the board. This works for paper too...can get the creases out.

WARNING: LOW HEAT.
RE-WARNING: LOW HEAT.
ONE MORE TIME: LOW FRAKKING HEAT

I've 'fixed' many a vintage game, such as my copy of Enchanted Forest, as well as de-bollocksed new games, such as Red November which I share your pain on.

An alternative method is to gently, and I MEAN GENTLY, bend the board in the center of the board area that's warped, such as Red November, and then set it under a very heavy object overnight, such as a phone book (or group of phone books if width isn't enough to cover the area. I actually have used my coffee table (solid wood top, flat) upside down to unbend my Talisman board.

Hope it helps, bud!

I'll take your advice. But I still have to straighten out the whole time space continuum thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Using an iron is just too scary to me. How do I know how much heat is too much without finding out the hard way? A thick bath towel? How thick? I'd be afraid my bath towel would be too thin and too much heat would get to the tile/board. And yeah, I could replace a damaged game if I made a mistake, but I'd rather spend that money on new games instead.

So far I've just been stacking books or other heavy objects on the board for a day or two.

I guess the main question I wanted to know was whether putting a dehumidifier in the room would help prevent this? And if anyone has ever tried it? I would think that with so many people having a large 'investment' in the hobby would have tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too
Checked my boards. Yeah, slight warping if I place any given room upside down. There's a small wobble to them. It's definitely better than having the board warp upwards!

I've added rice in a sock to the box. I keep my copy out in the garage right near our dryer. Probably better if I store it in the house!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.