David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Link?

This is where I spotted it and noticed the Mayfair publisher :

http://www.frpgames.com/new/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5880...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How fascinating. I'm not sure how many 1853s they're going to sell, though. Maybe if they got permission to include the remix rules and materials.

I think some pointy questions of the Mayfair people come Essen time in a few weeks. There was indirect word from Francis that there would be new exciting announcements around Essen this year, though.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
How fascinating. I'm not sure how many 1853s they're going to sell, though. Maybe if they got permission to include the remix rules and materials.

I think some pointy questions of the Mayfair people come Essen time in a few weeks. There was indirect word from Francis that there would be new exciting announcements around Essen this year, though.

B>

Agreed. I noticed the preorder and was pleasantly surprised. I'd love to get my hands on one of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dagger
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair is the partner on this one. The work on it has been done by Lookout Games (publishers of Agricola and Le Havre). And the answer to your question is yes, it does include the updated rulebook produced by Jeff Heuer, Lou Jerkich and Dick Ruck that incorporates the variant devised by Steve Jones and myself. Whether it will be ready in time for Essen, I don't know. At the moment they are still at the final proof-reading stage on the rule book. One thing I can tell you: the graphics are very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuart Dagger wrote:
Mayfair is the partner on this one. The work on it has been done by Lookout Games (publishers of Agricola and Le Havre). And the answer to your question is yes, it does include the updated rulebook produced by Jeff Heuer, Lou Jerkich and Dick Ruck that incorporates the variant devised by Steve Jones and myself. Whether it will be ready in time for Essen, I don't know. At the moment they are still at the final proof-reading stage on the rule book. One thing I can tell you: the graphics are very nice.

I'm a little bit frightened of what 'very nice graphics' would mean in an 18xx game.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dagger
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're worried about the sort of graphics where the artwork gets in the way of the functionality, there is no need. The pictures that Hanno Girke sent to me and the others were of the share certificates together with the rule book. The latter has plenty of pictures, including the map, the train certificates, the money and the company charters. There is nothing that is fussy or distracting. It is simply that where there was scope for good graphic design (money, share certificates, train certificates) they have made use of it. The playing area on the map is fairly plain apart from the markings for the mountains (which is as one would wish) and the track tiles are of the sort you are used to from Age of Steam (plain background but with track marked inside the black lines, rather than just plain black lines of the sort we usually get in 18xx).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuart Dagger wrote:
If you're worried about the sort of graphics where the artwork gets in the way of the functionality, there is no need. The pictures that Hanno Girke sent to me and the others were of the share certificates together with the rule book. The latter has plenty of pictures, including the map, the train certificates, the money and the company charters. There is nothing that is fussy or distracting. It is simply that where there was scope for good graphic design (money, share certificates, train certificates) they have made use of it. The playing area on the map is fairly plain apart from the markings for the mountains (which is as one would wish) and the track tiles are of the sort you are used to from Age of Steam (plain background but with track marked inside the black lines, rather than just plain black lines of the sort we usually get in 18xx).
\

Oh bugger. I've seen attempts at fancy-trackified-18xx tiles and it frankly just gets in the way for more complex tiles (or more complex layouts). I await the final art for this with a heavy heart.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuart Dagger wrote:
...and the track tiles are of the sort you are used to from Age of Steam (plain background but with track marked inside the black lines, rather than just plain black lines of the sort we usually get in 18xx).

Clean lines with equally clean hashes for towns is a design feature, not a flaw that needs to be played with.

At best, the fancy track is something that can be easily ignored. I don't understand how it could improve the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a somewhat generous 'at best', also.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
England
DARLINGTON
Co Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All very interesting and good news.
However, mindful of the Age of Steam, et. al. legal conflicts, what about all those bits on the original version clearly marked as copyright Hartland Trefoil? Not to mention the intellectual property.

I believe that Hartland Trefoil still resides within Infrogames (?sp) and from discussions it is probable that the company doesn't even know what it has. However, it only takes one sharp executive looking to make a name for him/herself and .... well I will leave the rest to the imagianation.

I hope not for Mayfair's sake.

[And no, I am not planning on spilling the beans! ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
England
DARLINGTON
Co Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And my fingers can't spell "imagination". whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've wanted a copy of this for my collection...but wasn't willing to pay the prices on eBay. Most likely it'll end up like my 1835 set: punched and on the shelf unplayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we now need are reviews of this game. ;-)

On the rules: Do they mostly comply with 1825 or are there differences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dagger
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules Lookout Games have used are the "retuned" ones that you can find in the files section here on BGG's page for 1853. The version you want is the one labelled 3.00 and dated 4/6/09. In addition to the rules, the file also contains a sample game start and an updated version of the "a look at the companies" strategy article that Steve Jones and I wrote back in 1990 when we introduced the variant.

As for where 1853 fits in the 18xx spectrum, it is at the 1825 end rather than the 1830 one. In other words it is designed to be a track building game and has an 1825/29 style stock market. The special features come from the fact that the setting is India in the days of the British Raj. In the background is a ruling authority that wants the companies to do certain things, such as building to the frontier and delivering mail, and which offers financial incentives. But you can read all about that in the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuart Dagger wrote:
If you're worried about the sort of graphics where the artwork gets in the way of the functionality, there is no need. The pictures that Hanno Girke sent to me and the others were of the share certificates together with the rule book. The latter has plenty of pictures, including the map, the train certificates, the money and the company charters. There is nothing that is fussy or distracting. It is simply that where there was scope for good graphic design (money, share certificates, train certificates) they have made use of it. The playing area on the map is fairly plain apart from the markings for the mountains (which is as one would wish)

Provided the certificates are still nice and obvious from s distance with colours, I will silently mourn the elegance of the original ones. This is to a great extent peripheral.

Quote:
the track tiles are of the sort you are used to from Age of Steam (plain background but with track marked inside the black lines, rather than just plain black lines of the sort we usually get in 18xx).

I really want to see a picture of some of these tiles, particularly the complex ones. AS has been pointed out in other threads discussing this, AoS has much less complex track and track interactions so it can get away with this sort of graphic. I'm not sure 18xx can.

When will art go out?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klemens Franz
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably soon.

Greetings,
Klemens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
You mean that the guy that did the artwork for Agricola/Le Havre/Neuland is now doing an 18xx game?!

I'm looking forward to seeing it, Klemens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dagger
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When will the art go out? That is up to Lookout Games. From the communications that have been going back and forth, the project would seem to be at a very advanced stage, but I haven't asked them recently what their planned timings are. As the original poster made clear, this seems to be one of those news items that has crept out by an unintended route. I stepped in simply to dispel the impression that the game was a reprint from Mayfair. It's not; it's a new edition from Lookout Games that has the blessing of both Francis Tresham and Mayfair, and which Mayfair will, presumably, be selling in the States.

I understand your concerns about the possibility of overly fussy graphics on the tiles, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. I have only seen the pictures in the rulebook, but the designs look fine to me. And since I've been playing 18xx games since 1829 was first published back in the mid-seventies, I'd be one of the first to scream if they'd sacrificed functionality in the name of "art".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klemens Franz
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I/we tried to keep things as clear as possible/needed for such a complex system. You will recognise even some of the original (card)layouts. It was/is not about creating a completely new look, but to give it a very "sensitive" design update - clear and structured... and probably even a little bit "good looking". Hanno was very strict about not going too far.

I'll give you updates asap.

Greetings,
Klemens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.