Subject: Preview 3: shipboard combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=834

Looks potentially interesting and they've clearly played around with a lot of ideas here. Need to give it some thought as to how this would work in practice.

I like the implication that the cannons all have different roles... accurate distance shots vs the Breath Template. Not the standard Age of Sail stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Well, after thinking about this a bit, I'm a bit uneasy how well this will work. All that operating the wheel seems to do is enable the ship to sidestep a few spaces. Can the ships actually turn at all? We've seen from the card that there is wind, but is it going to be in either side's favour or will it just be a random element in an attempt to add flavour? Is having an anchor and and extra sail really going to affect how quickly Laurel with Rapid Fire clears the enemy deck and Nanok boards and finishes the job?

Maybe it will. But I suspect this might be like the RtL night-time ambushes. A fun idea that doesn't actually make that much difference to the game. We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very cool. Also looks a /lot/ more involved than the land encounters of RtL. And it doesn't look like destroying the Revenge ends the game (for some reason I was under the impression that if you lost your ship, it would be like razing Tamalir).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
Some encounters will place your ship at such an angle that you are able to maneuver the bow of your vessel directly into either side of your enemy’s ship

Just realised that this implies that the ships will indeed be unable to turn and outmaneuver/outrun each other etc, but that that whole dynamic will be based on the location card.

So sometimes it will be a head on engagement, sometimes a chase, sometimes a broadside and so on. Quite like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was hoping for some information on large monsters and ship combat. Beastmen and skeletons controlling a ship, firing rune cannons and boarding the enemy's vessel are fine. But what about dragons, daemons and giants at sea. Are trolls and ogres able to swim? Is a naga able to lower the anchor? I know these are quite stupid questions, but one of the best aspects of Descent is the variety of monsters and foes. Do sea encounters limit this variety?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Gronlokk wrote:
Do sea encounters limit this variety?

Well, the Kraken certainly demonstrates that it's not all about ship to ship fighting (incidentally, have you noticed the tentacle token on the back of the box yet?)

In fact, I find it a bit of a stretch to imagine that many encounters which would work on boats... all the humanoids... cue the ogre from Time Bandits... several of the eldritch...I'm sure it's been stated that there'd be fights with flying creatures, so I think you can count on all the soaring monsters showing up.

As for the rest, it's tricky. I'm sure that they won't have an encounter for every single monster type, as in RtL. Pirate Wendigo? Aquatic Hellhounds? What could feasibly happen I suppose, is a card description which amends the monster slightly. Bunch of giant crabs crawl up the sides of the boat: Place 4 Bane Spiders on the Revenge.

We can but see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Carrozza
Italy
Ravenna
Italy
flag msg tools
I really think we're going to have the best game in its gender. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
TheHunterBoy wrote:
I really think we're going to have the best game in its gender. Ever.

Wait - have I been playing with girl bits or boy bits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.