Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Where Game Time Matches Time Represented rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any wargames where the events covered take up just about as much time as players take to complete the game?

For instance, if the game takes three hours to play, and the historical battle took about three hours to fight, that'd be a good matchup.

But if the game takes three hours to play, and the historical fight took only a minute or so (e.g., Gunfight at the OK Corral), that's not a good matchup.

Or if the game takes three hours to play, but the historical conflict took five years to resolve, that's not a good matchup either.

Can you think of any games where the matchup is fairly close? Or at least somewhere in the ballpark?

Just added: A Geeklist where you can add suitable games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have this WW2 game, and we're currently on year 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might be looking at one of the tactical games. The game turns usually remain a fixed amount of time but the amount of time it takes to carry out that turn can depend on different factors, amount of units, amount of combat, player lethargy etc. CC:E (several minutes) or a high unit game of Panzer Leader (6 minutes) might just work out at a similar time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be a great geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, you asked for it.

Others could speak better to this better than I, but I think that the firefights depicted in ASL are roughly representative of how long the actual firefights took, maybe longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
This would be a great geeklist.

And thanks to that remark, now it is a great Geeklist.

(Or at least I hope others will see it that way.)

Actually, I started out to make it a Geeklist, then changed my mind. Now you've prompted me to change my mind back again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.