Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

More than 6 years ago, I formed the Long Island Boardgaming Organization (LIBO). We started with - I think - 8 or 9 members, and some left and more joined...anyway, we're up to probably around 24 members now, with another 3-4 that have expressed varying interest in also joining.

My home - where we play 90% of the time - really maxes out around 18 (last weekend was particularly stressful as we had 20 there for about two hours of the gameday).

So - for people who have larger groups (20+)...where do you play?

A few concerns/specs I have:

1. We don't want a 'public place' - in other words, something like a library or Borders. The group is a semi-closed group; we'll accept prospective new members, but only if they ultimately fit with us and our style of play (which isn't particularly unusual). Essentially, we want to have control over the group, which we'd lose in a public place.

2. Ideally, we'd like this place to be free. We haven't charged dues in a very long time; and would prefer to not go back to it.

When I was in Canada, visiting this past summer, I joined up with a group in Hamilton which had a very sweet setup - they had the front room of a church center (or something like that) - easily, enough room for 40 players (although, they only had 11).

So...am I missing any obvious places to try to find? If you *do* pay for space, what is the cost?

Thanks!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/446290

These are held at a hotel, in a small conference room. We max out at 50 people, and regularly reach that number.

No, it isn't free. But it's easily worth the money. Jeff did a lot of leg work to find the hotels that we use, and you'll probably have to do the same. Depending on when and how long, you can probably find a room at a very reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa M
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of restaurants will let you use the back room for free, if they have one, assuming that people will purchase food or drinks (especially on an otherwise slow night for business). I hold a weekly game night in the back room of a Coco's, but have been thinking about switching to a pizza place (or anywhere with tastier food). We've had 30+ attendees with minimal craziness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I set up our group at the church where I attend. As a member, and willing to accept the responsibility to clean / fix / etc. afterwards, there was no cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

These are held at a hotel, in a small conference room. We max out at 50 people, and regularly reach that number.

No, it isn't free. But it's easily worth the money. Jeff did a lot of leg work to find the hotels that we use, and you'll probably have to do the same. Depending on when and how long, you can probably find a room at a very reasonable price.

What do you consider a 'reasonable price?'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another consideration...

We typically meet once a month - on a Saturday - from around 12-noon until about 12:30-1 in the morning

And then, we meet one Friday night a month - from around 7pm until around 12:30-1 in the morning.

There are sometimes more meetings than that; but that's usually the minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A group I play with has arranged rooms in a local grade school and in a local university at various times.

I have seen plenty of people mention using meeting rooms of public libraries and churches. There are also culture/social/recreation centers in many cities that rent meeting rooms free or fairly cheaply to local groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
jdludlow wrote:

What do you consider a 'reasonable price?'

We pay $5 per head for the weekend, which is a total of 30 hours, but you have to factor in that a lot of people only show up for 1 day. Saturday is usually full at 50, and Sunday has a smaller attendance. Say there are 35 on Sunday, including 10 who paid once and attended both days. That's 75 x $5 = $375 for the weekend. (This is a guess, but I'm probably not off by much.)

Our organizer, Jeff, runs a risk of low attendance. However, this either isn't happening, or he just eats it, because he's now running these every month (up from every 3 months a year ago). In cases where he collects too much money, in the past he's offered free days to everyone.

You have fewer people, but enough for a smaller conference room. Ask around at some hotels. Jeff would probably talk to you about his approach if you ask him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a month the Rochester (NY) Boardgame Society meets at a local game store, Millennium.
Wer generally have 30-40 people who play from 10am to 10pm on the third Saturday of each month.

If you have 20 people and are trying to keep it semi-private (not sure what that means) then your only options are to rent a place or play at someone's home.

Personally, despite the fact that you may get some folks who may be annoying at times, I'd rather see gaming open to all than keep it a private affair. I just hate for people who'd like to play, not have the opportunity. Especially with a larger group that by size alone offers more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the twin cities area there are pretty regular library events. Most libraries have public use rooms, all you have to do is ask. They hold 15-20 people

We have also had an event at a higher end market in our area that has a dining/community room. Same thing here, just had to ask and they had no problem. 8-10 people here seem to be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago before I was back into gaming, some buddies and I used to rent out a whole basement from this lady for $150 a month. We used the space as a studio for our music collective and a number of guys had a key to the space. The space was a pretty good size (1000 sq ft perhaps) and had multiple rooms, including a bathroom.

If I still had that space today, I know it would have easily accommodated enough tables and chairs for up to 40 people. It could have been a permanent gaming club house and probably would have been far less disturbing to the neighborhood as such. Have you considered anything in a more full-time-availability mode such as this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cook
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has 30 on the average week. We meet in the basement of a bowling alley every Sunday night. They let us use it for free. Sometimes we get bumped by another group that pays to use the space. But not too often. A lot of the members eat supper there before hand and I think that's why they tolerate us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CABS meets in an office park back room ...

We rent the space from them. We treat it as a public space and allow anyone to attend.

We pay rent for the space (which is going up in 2010). BUT we get to store our game collection on site making it great for us.

It has room for about 125 comfortably.

We charge a meeting fee if you are NOT a member or you pay the yearly membership.

We are at 300+ members and are in the middle of our 2010 membership drive which runs with our Buckeye Game Fest this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.