United Kingdom
Horley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Not with a bang but a whimper.
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting into ASL,

So I have been playing board games for a while now, I enjoyed Memoir ’44 moved onto Combat Commander and then to Conflict of Heroes and I have loved them all. Now I want to get into ASL and I picked up the starter sets 1 & 2 and intend to get #3 when I can find it.

I am looking for advice on where to go from here, there seems to be a huge amount to choose from. I was told the next step is to get the ASL rules v.2.0 and the ‘Beyond Valor’ module, but it seems that maps and rules are numbered and coded and not all modules come with the maps you need and... well I am a bit confused on how to start?

Does anyone have a recommended product map of what to buy in sequence to get the best growing experience?

Any and all advice appreciated, many thanks.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules binder & Beyond Valor are the basic set, self contained. Virtually everything else depends on having Beyond Valor anyway! When I was buying them, the only alternative way to start in ASL (pre-Starter Kits) was the rules binder and Paratrooper: ASL Module 2, which I believe was also self-contained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing ASL a month ago after many years of playing lots of wargames. I found a list of ASLers in my area and sent out emails. I now have a weekly game against an opponent who owns everything. He even loaned me his 1st ed rulebook while I decide if I want to really get into it. I highly recommend seeing if you can find someone in your area willing to teach you.

I was able to jump into an infantry/support weapon game of full ASL my first night. I read all the tutorials I could find and played around with VASL a bit ahead of time, but I'd never seen a rulebook. (Of course having an opponent who's played for 20 years helps).

In terms of buying, it looks like the latest Beyond Valor includes all the maps you need to play the included modules. If you haven't got VASL setup yet you should. Then you have full access to all the maps and pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just reiterating that Beyond Valor + Rulebook is the way to go.

...however, be sure to pick up and play through the Starter Kits first. There is a lot of gameplay to experience there, especially since you can get bonus scenarios from a variety of source (including MMP's in-house Operations magazine). There is no need to dive into full ASL until you've gotten your feet wet and are sure you want to invest more in the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United Kingdom
Horley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Not with a bang but a whimper.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Everyone..

I just had a 'moment' and tore the shrink wrap off of ASL Starter Kit #1. I have been a gamer for years - but all of a sudden feel like a new starter again!

Many thanks, Kevin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLSK1 is probably the best money I have ever spent on a wargame, lots of fun, and the core rules it teaches are a great foundation for full ASl

If I was you and was looking to enter the world of ASL I'd do one of 2 things

1: grab all the in print stuff you can!

Id go with these for starters

Advanced Squad Leader rulebook ( recquired)
Beyond Valor: ASL Module 1 has the German and Soviet order of battle plus all the misc counters required
then I would grab

Valor of the Guards: ASL Historical Module Number 7 as it is in print and only requires the 2 I listed above

2: go crazy looking at Ebay /kijiji/craigslist and / or preordering gear from MMP ( You could probably grab a few in trades from BGG now that I think about it)

I must admit I had quite a bit of fun sourcing out all my ASL gear over the years, but I had a LOT more fun actually playing with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could buy this

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Slothrop
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:

That aint a bad deal at all there (so far)

Get the Sks first though, no sense in dropping hundreds of dollars right off the bat. Like one of the other posters, I have had quite a bit of fun filling out my collection over the years. Nothing feels better than finding a copy of Gung Ho or something in the back of some crusty old hobby shop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevinsmith1212 wrote:
I enjoyed Memoir ’44 moved onto Combat Commander and then to Conflict of Heroes and I have loved them all. Now I want to get into ASL. . . .

Wow--somebody's really stuck on WWII squad-level combat.

Don't forget to get into ATS and LnL while you're at it. You wouldn't want to miss anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binko wrote:
Hey Kevin, I see that you are in Concord, CA. I'm just over in Livermore.

Isn't it nice having the info back when you mouse over the flag?

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Kevin Smith wrote:
Does anyone have a recommended product map of what to buy in sequence to get the best growing experience?

It's a little bit out-of-date now, but you might find this thread helpful:

ASL For $500 Or Less
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120595

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Schwarz
United States
New Baltimore
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way, and the way a firmly suggest, is to find a regular group of ASLers and play with them weekly if possible. get the ASLRB and BV, You'll need them in the long run, especially the RB.

Another good way to learn is PBEM by VASL. You can break up the turn in small pieces and have time to look things up while doing so. If you play a file almost daily it will "keep the game" in your head.

Welcome to the world of ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Beaudway
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW if you like ASLSK1 there is a new pre-order available on MMP's website for a ASLSK expansion pack. It has new maps, counters, scenarios and the complete ASLSK updated rules (i.e. rules for infantry, gund and vehicles). Something to consider...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.