Hide
4 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Rules

Subject: occupying cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Carter
msg tools
When I first played Carcassonne the people I played with allowed any player to add to another player's city or road and place a follower on the tile just played, thus sharing the city or road and as the game progresses competing for it by trying to have the most followers on it when it is completed. I know that is not the correct way to play but what is wrong with that way? Does the game lose some tactical or strategic element? Does anybody else play this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, you lose the strategy big time. If you can claim a portion of the city at any time, it just becomes a race to who can get the most in the city or who is lucky enough to close it at the right time.

In addition, anyone could try to jump in and get a share of the easy points by allowing others to do the work.

If you play by the rules, then it becomes more of a brain burner about being the most clever to connect your independent fragment(s) of the city so that you can join in and also have the majority. You then get into a situation where you can block by setting up impossible ways to connect.

The game is definitely more fun this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if everyone can share elements of the board, then, in theory, everyone would tie at the end of the game (provided everyone had enough meeples).

It certainly loses the strategic element of placing tiles that will eventually connect up with someone else's city (for example) and taking it over.

Seems to me it would really kill what makes the game fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Yeah, you lose the strategy big time. If you can claim a portion of the city at any time, it just becomes a race to who can get the most in the city or who is lucky enough to close it at the right time.

In addition, anyone could try to jump in and get a share of the easy points by allowing others to do the work.

If you play by the rules, then it becomes more of a brain burner about being the most clever to connect your independent fragment(s) of the city so that you can join in and also have the majority. You then get into a situation where you can block by setting up impossible ways to connect.

The game is definitely more fun this way.

This is exactly correct. We played the game incorrectly, by accident, for some time, and when we discovered our mistake and began playing by the rules, it became more fun for us. We still have lots of shared cities, roads, and fields, but only when players can find a way to connect their already-claimed parts. It is definitely a better game played by the actual rule on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.