Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Two unfortunate events coincided recently--my boardgaming group mostly fell apart, and I got sucked back into Magic. My sister-in-law asked me to teach her how to play, I picked up a bunch of draft rejects off of Craigslist... and now I'm re-hooked. Damn it. (And then she moved away...)

This means that Magic Online looks really appealing to me right now--I can scratch the MTG itch without having to leave home. So, does anyone have a reasonable starter set of MTGO cards they might want to trade for real physical boardgames?

I only play casual, but I like having stuff to build decks with. Big, messy, lame collections welcome.

Any advice, if no trades? Is v3 really that bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
V3 is pretty bad.

Don't trade, play some pauper. There's a dozen cards that cost about a dollar or more, but for the most part, you can buy very playable commons for about a cent each at the right bots.

And remember, if you aren't drafting, you should never open a booster pack: The average value of the contents of a booster is about $1 on the singles market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, I love pauper and odd formats. I usually get suckered into making decks with crap rares, however and have fun doing so.

Drafting, unfortunately, is fun. I'll wait until they support free Cube formats, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Don't trade, play some pauper. There's a dozen cards that cost about a dollar or more, but for the most part, you can buy very playable commons for about a cent each at the right bots.

And remember, if you aren't drafting, you should never open a booster pack: The average value of the contents of a booster is about $1 on the singles market.

I agree with most of this:
Don't trade. It's a big waste of time, because people take forever for every little common.

If you aren't drafting, only buy tickets from Wizards. They are the currency used in MTGO. Like hibikir said, buying cards is like throwing your money away. Once you have tickets, you can trade them with other players and trading bots for cards, and you will get much more bang for your buck.

Cards are, for the most part, *very* cheap. If you can't get someone to trade you a free account, you can build your collection for cheap. One sweet thing is that you only ever need four of a card. You can use those same four cards in as many different decks as you want. Yes, commons tend to be about 128 for a ticket, but there are even cheap rares at maybe 32 for a ticket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good to know. I played when it first started, cashed out when I left the game, back during version 1.something. I didn't trade then, either--just used tickets. You couldn't get commons or rares that cheap back then--6 rares for 1 was the best rate going, and 32 commons. I did notice you can pick up common playsets on eBay for $4-5 for many sets, which is a good sign.

I'm happy it's more possible to play cheaply now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
If you aren't drafting, only buy tickets from Wizards. They are the currency used in MTGO. Like hibikir said, buying cards is like throwing your money away. Once you have tickets, you can trade them with other players and trading bots for cards, and you will get much more bang for your buck.

In fact, don't buy tickets from Wizards either. Deal with a major bot and you can buy credits on their site at 90-92¢ each via PayPal, as opposed to $1 plus tax from Wizards. Then, you deal with their bots to get the cards you want. It's almost as fast and convenient as if Wizards had included a singles store in the program!

I used to use cardbotmtgo.com a lot, but he doesn't sell credits (and the ticket seller I used to use didn't make the transition to v3), so I switched to marlonmtgo.com. mtgotraders.com is also good; instead of credits and tradebots, you put the cards in a shopping cart and get a discount for paying in cash instead of tickets, then a human opens a trade window within a few minutes to give you the cards you purchased. (They all have the same prices, as the major traders are all in a cartel where they share their sales data and use that to adjust their prices based on supply and demand.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, all the crap rares I like to play with are $0.10 or $0.12 at mtgotraders. This makes things more appealing...

How good are the decks in the casual and multiplayer rooms? Will I be able to have fun with a pile of odd jank, or do most people have pretty tuned decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
Drafting, unfortunately, is fun. I'll wait until they support free Cube formats, though...

Gee. Wizards support a free tournament format? I doubt it, dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
How good are the decks in the casual and multiplayer rooms? Will I be able to have fun with a pile of odd jank, or do most people have pretty tuned decks?

They vary. You won't come across too many killer decks. And no matter how bad your deck is, you can beat the random 8 year old or Johnny.

I think I generally win about 50% of the games I play, and I don't make net decks or buy expensive cards, although I do use the odd expensive card I have, like a couple Siege-gang Commanders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
In fact, don't buy tickets from Wizards either...

I didn't know about that...

I might have to think about making another deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is v3 really that bad?

V3 Is very good. My only beef is that the leagues are not up - other than that I enjoy it quite a bit.

Look me up if you are online - I'm more than happy to give newbies a bunch of spare Commons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Signed up, should I open my starter pack? Could I sell it for tickets? Are the 300 first cards they give you worth it?

My sign in is Jellytussle, if any BGGers want to look me up. (Obscure reference, anyone get it?)

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go spend $3 to make my old Spellweaver Helix deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go spend $3 to make my old Spellweaver Helix deck.

Really? Spellweaver Helix? Does your deck use some kind of reusable sorcery, like with buyback or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a fun UG one using flashback, with Roar of the Wurm Tokens, cheap land search, temporal spring, etc. Very effective in casual, very flexible. I built a fun janky WUB version with real cards recently using the random cards I had around, that is more control oriented. 4 each of Evincar's Justice (buybackable Infest for the weenies), Befoul, Slave of Bolas (creature kill+ get to do some damage), Covenant of Minds (MVP of the deck, puts cards in the graveyard and draws you a ton), Brilliant Ultimatum. I have Souls of the Faultless to buy me some time to set up. Enigma Sphinx and a couple of other fatties to finish.

The other day I had Covenant of Minds and the Ultimatum helixed together. Played the CoM, drew three, Ultimatum triggered, I chose to put a new helix and an Enigma Sphinx into play, the cascade triggered another CoM, which...

I would up with about 13 cards in hand, a couple of big guys on the board, and about 15 land out. Fun. It isn't a great deck, but can be fun to win with.

Anyway, so yeah, I'm a Johnny... (You should have seen my secret Alter Reality version of Deep Dog...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hanlon
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven's Crime and Life From the Loam make for interesting spells to play with Spellweaver's Helix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. I looked up some decks on MTGSalvation, and saw the Raven's Crime combos. That's pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Helix is the engine for all sorts of fun casual tricks. Have fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.