BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Hex Tiles for sale? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: hexes [+] [View All]
John V
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know a good source for blank hex tiles? I'm working on a re-theme of Hive that my wife would enjoy and I haven't been able to find anything online. I considered cutting my own out of wood but something ready made would be much easier. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
12th BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Heximania would make a great Hive re-make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Litko Aerosystems offers custom-cut pieces (which is where the link takes you) as well as a range of standard bases. Basically, you can have a couple of shapes, including hexes, in plywood of various strengths (3mm, 1.5mm, 0.8mm) as well as a selection of 3mm-strength acrylic.

I've gotten some custom bases from them and have been quite happy with the results as well as the time it took to cut and ship them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Home improvement stores sell sheets of 2 inch ceramic hex tiles.

30 tiles cost about $3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Solitas wrote:
Litko Aerosystems offers custom-cut pieces (which is where the link takes you) as well as a range of standard bases. Basically, you can have a couple of shapes, including hexes, in plywood of various strengths (3mm, 1.5mm, 0.8mm) as well as a selection of 3mm-strength acrylic.

I've gotten some custom bases from them and have been quite happy with the results as well as the time it took to cut and ship them.

I got some samples of the Litko hex tiles in wood and they're really nice. I was planning on upgrading some of my 18xx games by mounting the cardboard tiles onto the wood hexes...but the $$ to upgrade was more than I wanted to spend at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here a place with some already cut

http://www.woodnshop.com/CRAFT_SQUARES_RECTANGLES_OVALS_CIRC...

way at the bottom. Looks like they cut custom too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jimenez
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Gale Force Nine cut-to-order Econo hex bases is what you are looking for

http://www.gf9.com/store/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:

I would take "hexagon" with a grain of salt. I used one of the wood craft websites for a 100+ hexes for a project I was working on. They were all... custom. They had obviously all been done by hand. Yes, they were hexagon in the sense that they had 6 sides, and they were roughly the same size, but they were very irregular. I had no hope of using them for a tight hex pattern.

If you go with any of these places, I advise ordering a small number first to check for quality control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
Donald wrote:

I would take "hexagon" with a grain of salt. I used one of the wood craft websites for a 100+ hexes for a project I was working on. They were all... custom. They had obviously all been done by hand. Yes, they were hexagon in the sense that they had 6 sides, and they were roughly the same size, but they were very irregular. I had no hope of using them for a tight hex pattern.

If you go with any of these places, I advise ordering a small number first to check for quality control.

Same experience here. Got a couple of hundred useless chunks of wood. And note that they measure 2" from point to point, not side to side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
Donald wrote:

That's crazy! :p The amount of time to do that would be enormous. I guess they cater more to arts and crafts people.

Still, that's messed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess what you should have asked for were *regular* hexagons.

There's a neat jig you can make for cutting hexagons on a bandsaw or table saw. Google isn't turning it up for me. I think I saw it in an old minis catalog.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several places that do laser cut pieces these days.

Blue Panther seems to have nice stock and reasonable prices. I suggested he sell some sample packs so you can see the various shapes, material and etchings they can do. The guy said it sounded like a good idea, but I still don't see them on their website.

http://www.bluepantherllc.com/BP3_StockComponents.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
check out my DIY thread, Hive In Five
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.spielmaterial.de/english5/counters_hexagons.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leaxe wrote:

That's a great site, but if I'm remembering correctly, shipping time and cost across the Atlantic is prohibitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.