Subject: What's your favorite Science Fiction Board Wargame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sci-fi [+] SYFY [+] [View All]
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
SFB is more or less my favorite, too, although I'm itching to give Starmada: The Admiralty Edition a try. It's a bit lighter, and so should make it easier to hook other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Great discussion topic.

Quote:
What's your favorite Science Fiction Board Wargame?

The original Milton Bradley edition of Axis and Allies.

The Japanese create an army composed of men who feel neither heat nor cold and never suffer from hunger or thirst. They push through Manchuria, march across the entire length of Siberia, drive over the Ural Mountains, and then advance another 900 miles from Yekaterinburg to Moscow to win the war for the Axis powers.

Doesn't that qualify as science fiction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Starship Troopers
Stellar Conquest
Freedom in the Galaxy
Holy War
Ogre
WarpWar
Hot Spot

And others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No question for me:

Imperium (GDW edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta say:

Ogre/G.E.V.
Imperium
Renegade Legion: Centurion – Blood & Steel
Space Marine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
O-K! First off, then: (right 'click' & OPEN)
- Ogre, and more along with Ogre Miniatures for all that involves
- Marine: 2002 with its much better feasible realizations or implementations
- Starfleet Wars as well for Starfleet Wars: Observer's Directory & Identification Manual & Starfleet Wars: Book 2 + the 'site' for "minis" MondayKnightProductions
- Starship Troopers based on the BOOK
- Federation Space it's "Star Trek" Campaigns
- Fortress America it's "Fortress America"!
- Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game it's "Buck Rogers"!
robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I actually have a 'favorite' science fiction wargame. I'm not a real fan of science fiction anyway. I do like Pete's response though. And yeah Pete, that's science fiction all right!
I did like BattleFleet Mars some. I also liked Starship Troopers, though I think the movie is better. And the game doesn't play well solo. We also played a lot of Freedom in the Galaxy years ago. But that may have more to do with the popularity of Star Wars than the game itself. Nothing quite like destabilizing an entire planet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Federation Commander: Klingon Border is pretty solid and I'm FINALLY soloing a game of Federation & Empire and this its actually pretty good.

I previously traded away a copy of the newest version of F&E as too complex, but just recently ended up with a copy of the original 1986 version as part of a multigame trade. It's rulebook, at 45 pages, is much shorter than the newer version's 90 pages (IIRC) and it is very playable. It's long, though, and after several nights I'm on turn 4 (of 34!). Granted, I'm still learning the system, but so far it has hooked me enough to be looking at the expansions.

The game is pretty clunky, with lots of information that has to be kept by paper and pencil, but for some reason it isn't bothering me as much as I expect, in fact I'm rather enjoying the economic phase of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, apart from enjoying Ogre and a little Freedom in the Galaxyback in the day, I haven't really played any SF based wargames. Oh wait, also Dragon Magazine's Planet Busters.

I need to, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GM Davis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
StarFleet Battles
Freedom in the Galaxy
Starship Troopers (1976)
Federation Comander
and Federation & Empire

(shill on)
For those interested in a new map of F&E I made one that you may download. Each nation is color coded, none of that black, blue, grey and red stuff.I also have colored fleet charts I will up load as soon as I can get my desktop working again. Watch out, this is a BIG map
(shill off)
Edit: The map can be found here on BGG in the F&E files

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot:

Dune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Amoeba Wars was a classic space combat game with huge Amoebas!

More of a question really, but would Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) be considered a space war game? Not sure if it fits, but it does feel like one.

Knight Hawks, board game of ship to ship combat which I remember enjoying. Originally a part of an rpg system Star Frontiers, this was a stand alone board game for spaceship combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Godsfire is another classic that melded politics/economics/interstellar combat and the hallucinogenic-inducing spiraled planets per hex map you ever did see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my life will be empty until I play Twilight Imperium. I like Ogre/GEV, and Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner if that counts. Does Dune count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Succession Wars was always fun. As was Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator. I've always wanted to play Federation & Empire, but never found the time. And, of course, Starship Troopers and Space Hulk were always fun.

More recently, StarCraft: The Board Game, has been a hoot to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! How could I forget the entire Renegade Legion series...

Renegade Legion: Prefect
Renegade Legion: Leviathan
Renegade Legion: Interceptor
Renegade Legion: Centurion – Blood & Steel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GM Davis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
ftarzanin
I think I have the 86 version. Is there still a stacking limit of six vessels per hex? That sort of turned me off a bit as I like the idea of HUGE battles.

No stacking limits in the 2000 version

Edit: But they do have the 10 unit combat limit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order of preference...

Star Fleet Battles: Commander's Rulebook
BattleFleet Mars

AH, the good olde days....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GM Davis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I forgot SPI's Starforce

This is another game I am redoing. I really dislike some of the old graphics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

I've got all these, had them since they first published. But have only played Ogre & Warp War. Hot Spot seems clever and Holy War has that funky map with wonderfully weird theme. Think I'll read the rules again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Fleet Battles, by a parsec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I played a lot of BattleTech in college. Wish I could get it to the table again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Fleet Battles is it for me. Having grown up on Star Trek reruns, the Saturday morning cartoon version, and all of the subsequent movies I immediately fell in love with the game. I kept up with it for a while, but then it became too much with all of the non-Trek stuff it was adding, not to mention the fact that I now had a wife and kids to take care of instead of a "monster" game. I still think it is among the very best of Sci-Fi games set in the Star Trek universe.

For those new Star Fleet Battles fans who are wondering why a certain starship and crew are not mentioned in the game, it is because of the licensing agreement between Franz Joseph Designs and Amarillo Design Bureau, the current publisher of the game (the license agreement was in effect with the original publisher, Task Force Games, as well). The U.S.S. Enterprise is listed among the Federation's active-duty heavy cruisers, but nary a word will ever be said about her most famous crew.

The game's greatest strength is it's flexibility. It can be played solo against various monsters and challenges, it plays very well face-to-face (the starship vs. starship duel is the very heart of the game), and it can be played with multiple players controlling fleets of starships, too.

So, shields up, arm the phasers and photon torpedoes, and engage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azhanti High Lightning, Snapshot, Bug Hunter Sniper!: Sniper! Companion Game #3, Armored Assault, Space Master: Star Strike and Dragonstar Rising. And Web and Starship, War in the Ice, Fifth Frontier War, Invasion: Earth and Brilliant Lances/Battle Rider.

If I had to pick just one of them, probably Dragonstar Rising with Azhanti High Lightning a close second.

I also like Battlestations, but prefer it as a straight boardgame with less emphasis on the RPG elements.

Edit: Do we consider Car Wars a science fiction board wargame? Because that would be pushing for a spot in my top two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.