Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Krupa
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it should be 500-1000 cards in the core set.This monthly expansions are to expensive. It is draining money - very unfair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Megamaniac wrote:
I think that it should be 500-1000 cards in the core set.This monthly expansions are to expensive. It is draining money - very unfair.

I think the monthly expansions are a fun idea and the price point is about right. I've been playing the base game alot this past week, and it is definitely fun stand-alone. My roommate and I each bought a starter set and split them so we could have more cards for two factions to increase the deck-building possibilities.

20 new cards every month incrementally injects just the right amount of excitement into deckbuilding. We've already "subscribed," to the Battle Packs at my local gamestore. 10 dollars a month for something I get a few hours of fun out of every week doesn't seem a bad deal to me.

Plus, just look at the actual cards when you get a chance. It may just be my Warhammer universe nostalgia talking, but they are beautiful and evocative (at least the vast majority are *evil look at Ghurka's Camp*). Some of the art is taken from old codices, which I find neat.

Anyway, doesn't hurt to try before you buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Megamaniac wrote:

This remark made me LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe he was just making a funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Krupa
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Megamaniac wrote:

This remark made me LOL.

You may laugh, but in Dominion you have 500 cards in your core set, another 500 in Dominion Intrigue. If it is possible for Dominion, why it is impossible for all those LCGs and CCGs. Stop the madnesss. It is like drug dealing, based on your addiction. If you don't see that your money are draining you are blind. There is not such a thing like LCG - it is all CCG. Nothing more but marketing.
I know it may look funny, but think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Megamaniac wrote:

You may laugh, but in Dominion you have 500 cards in your core set, another 500 in Dominion Intrigue. If it is possible for Dominion, why it is impossible for all those LCGs and CCGs. Stop the madnesss. It is like drug dealing, based on your addiction. If you don't see that your money are draining you are blind. There is not such a thing like LCG - it is all CCG. Nothing more but marketing.

Keep in mind that it is not the total number of cards that matters. It's the number of unique cards, since that is what drives up the design and development cost.

I am not sure of the numbers, but how many unique cards are in Dominion? 30 maybe?

How many unique cards are in Warhammer? 100+?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Megamaniac wrote:
wytefang wrote:
Megamaniac wrote:

This remark made me LOL.

Wow, you really think that it's a rip-off to have Warhammer: Invasion be in the LCG format than the old CCG format? Wow. There's no way that it's NOT cheaper to have the LCG vs. the CCG. Just how inexpensive do you want this stuff to be? Perhaps they should pay us to play the games? Maybe give players 1000+ cards right off the bat and then they could put us on a payroll to keep playing their games??

It would figure that a company comes up with a way (like this fantastic LCG idea) to create a much cheaper alternative to CCGs and then people will still gripe. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Wene wrote:
Megamaniac wrote:

Keep in mind that it is not the total number of cards that matters. It's the number of unique cards, since that is what drives up the design and development cost.

I am not sure of the numbers, but how many unique cards are in Dominion? 30 maybe?

How many unique cards are in Warhammer? 100+?

I believe Mike is right on the money on this one. You can't compare games which repeats the same 30 cards until you have a 500 card count with a game that has a little less than half the totalcard count but has at least 3 times as many different unique cards...they are on a different scale of measure:

Think of the different designs that went into 100 unique cards vs 30
Think of the sheer combination of card interaction when play testing 100 uniques vs 30
Think of the different artwork commissoned for 100 uniques vs 30.
There is a higher cardboard cost associated with 220 total count vs 500, but that is negligible when compared to the above costs wouldn't you agree?

I am not downplaying the game play of Dominion. However, I believe Invasion LCG is not on the same weight class as Dominion and as such it's rather hard to make apples to apples comparison in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Krupa
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. One expansion a month seems silly to me. It is only for dollars.
I agree that maybe 220 cards including many uniques in the core set is ok for that price, but this product is incomplete by definition. How long can you play with only one core set. Idea of this design is force people to buy expansions. I can't imagine myself playing Warhammer: Invasion core set only when there will be a lot of expansions on the market, becouse you need them to make this game "live" as they call it. I don't need more expansions to still have fun with Dominion becouse it was designed as stand alone game. In Race for the Galaxy expansions comes one a year and they really brings something interesting (single player in Gathering Storm for example) not only new cards with beautifull pictures.

I just can't trust designer who says that the core set is complete product and than releasing expansion every month for a 2-3 years. I must buy them to make game "live". I don't want only "dead" core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Megamaniac, perhaps this just isn't your game. The two games that you are comparing to it play nothing like Warhammer:Invasion. If the game is not for you, then it's just not, but the differences that you are seeing are not faults, they are just differences. FFG has been completely up front regarding how the game will be sold, and if that's not working for you, then I'd suggest you move on.

I guess I get a little tired of hearing the complaints about CCG's and LCG's "Well I'd play it if only.....". But it is what it is. What you want changed would change the very nature of what an LCG is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Megamaniac wrote:
I agree that maybe 220 cards including many uniques in the core set is ok for that price, but this product is incomplete by definition. How long can you play with only one core set. Idea of this design is force people to buy expansions. I can't imagine myself playing Warhammer: Invasion core set only when there will be a lot of expansions on the market, becouse you need them to make this game "live" as they call it. I don't need more expansions to still have fun with Dominion becouse it was designed as stand alone game. In Race for the Galaxy expansions comes one a year and they really brings something interesting (single player in Gathering Storm for example) not only new cards with beautifull pictures.

I've been playing off and on for a few months with just the core set, and I don't feel it has worn out its welcome yet. OTOH, I can't imagine myself playing Dominion core set when there are lots of expansions out, either: I don't do it much now, when there is only one expansion out. The difference between the games is not that they have expansions.

Complaining about spreading out the expansions might be a fair point. If they just designed the cards all at once, and then parcel them out, then that would be a bit annoying. It would still have some benefits, mostly in terms of cash flow (for publisher, retailer and customer). I suspect they do change around later cards, though--the feedback loop may be too long for field reports, but playtest results and simple inspiration can still be taken into account for an extra five months this way.

Personally, I kind of like the smaller sets. Only Anachronism split its card sets into smaller bite-sized pieces, and being able to target your buying is nice. I have had some Asylum Packs (for Call of Cthulhu, another LCG) go out of print before I got around to buying them, so now I have to wait for a reprint. But that's hardly a problem Dominion has avoided, and at least the cash flow benefits mean a reprint can be turned around that much faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Krupa
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Megamaniac, perhaps this just isn't your game. The two games that you are comparing to it play nothing like Warhammer:Invasion. If the game is not for you, then it's just not, but the differences that you are seeing are not faults, they are just differences. FFG has been completely up front regarding how the game will be sold, and if that's not working for you, then I'd suggest you move on.

I guess I get a little tired of hearing the complaints about CCG's and LCG's "Well I'd play it if only.....". But it is what it is. What you want changed would change the very nature of what an LCG is.

I don't want to hurt anybody feelings. Jennifer, you are right maybe LCG/CCG format is just not for me. Enjoy if you like it! Theme is great, artwork is great, collectible value is great also, I understand it. Maybe some day FFS comes with Warhammer Fantasy card game in another format that I will like. Thanks for reading. I wish you all have a lot of fun with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm too old to have my feelings hurt on a forum. Thanks for thinking of me though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Megamaniac wrote:

I just can't trust designer who says that the core set is complete product and than releasing expansion every month for a 2-3 years. I must buy them to make game "live". I don't want only "dead" core set.

Way to judge a game without playing it.

There is nothing dead about the game. It is not a board game. You could play the Core Set alone for years have new and interesting experiences because of the ability to customize your decks, creating alliances and using the draft rules.

The game is not "incomplete" by definition, it is incomplete by our definition. There is a difference there. The Core Set is meant to be a stand alone game giving you everything you need to play. If you want to expand on that with the upcoming Companion set (gives you two new races to play as well as a few new cards for the other four factions) you can do so. If you want the full experience of a customizable card game with a changing card pool then you can buy the supplemental Battle Packs. None of those are required to have fun and competitive games though.

It seems incomplete to you because it appears you assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) that a game should contain everything that will ever be printed at once. In which case Dominion is incomplete. Settlers is in complete. I'm not going to say you are wrong, it is an opinion, one which you have a right to hold, but understand that it is your opinion, and that the thousands of people who play AGoT or CoC with just the Core Set don't view the LCG as incomplete or dead, based on their experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.