Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just curious if there were any ideas floating around about what the MSRP is going to be for this game. I ask, mostly, because Funagain has their Essen Preorders up and they have this guy listed at $75 US. It doesn't seem TOO far off for me, but it seems a little high based on the amount of bits when compared to Agricola or Le Havre (I use those as examples for obvious reasons)

And yes, I know bits do not a price make, game does, but I'm just comparing it to Uwe's other recent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised when I saw the same thing, though after Le Havre and Agricola, I shouldn't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Jankowski
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering the same thing.....I know prices for games in general have been going up, but WOW....$75 at Thoughthammer...and thats already discounted! My game purchases these days are definitely getting to be fewer and fewer these days cry (but I'll still get this one!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't Le Havre less expensive than Agricola? Which would make sense, since there was both less cards and much less wood in Le Havre. Loyang has lots of wood and a fair amount of cards, although overall clearly less stuff than Agricola. It would seem reasonable for Loyang to have the same price as Le Havre.

In the end who am I kidding- I'm buying this no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this one will have more more wooden components (and in the form of vegimeeples) than Agricola. Quite a few cards also. Maybe that's the reason?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read somewhere about 44 (?) euros. This might easily be $70.
BTW, Le Havre was more expensive than Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
verandi wrote:

This would be the reason the price is high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Some information from the publisher:

In the German market the three games have a similar price. Price differences in the shops, especially in the US, can have several reasons:
- They buy more copies of Agricola so they get a better price for it.

- Loyang has no US-distributor by now. The first copies are distributed by Heidelberger, and so the additional shipping costs have to be considered

Why isn't Loyang cheaper as Agricola, although it has less parts?
- Hall Games is not Lookout Games. I don't have an Agricola to refinance the losses if I produce too much copies. So I have to reduce my financial risk by starting with a modest amount of copies - and this increases the production costs per game.

- We had to decide if me make a cheaper version with wooden discs or cubes instead of the veggimeeples and sell the veggimeeples as an Extra package. In this case the price for the veggimeeples would have been much higher (because we would have produced less) and many of you would have paid for wooden discs they never need.
So we decided to produce the game in the nice "fan-version" - even if it looks more expensive than Agricola and Le Havre, if you compare the amount of tiles. And even if this means that we maybe sell less copies, because we know it IS a lot of money for a game.

We know that not everyone will be happy with this decision - but this isn't possible anyway, isn't it?

And here's an information for Essen attendees: The estimated price for a copy of "At the Gates of Loyang" at my booth is 37 Euros (approx. $54).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
verandi wrote:

This would be the reason the price is high.

And leaves me completely OUT of the buying picture. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I was wrong but I was thinking that Zman Games would be the U.S. distributor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm too excited about this game to wait for the second print run. Can somebody please pick me up a copy from Essen? kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralph, thanks for the detailed reasoning. It's very refreshing to see such honest and straightforward information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good decision to go with the veggiemeeples etc. That's going to sell a lot of copies right there (probably to me, in fact )

I understand your hesitance, but I don't think you're going to find you're stuck with unsold copies. This is going to sell like hotcakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The exchange rate of $ is getting worse last days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you find a US distributor soon!

I was expecting a $70 price tag, because the size and complexity of the game (regardless of number of bits) looks to be comparable to both Agricola and Le Havre. Same designer, same weight, same sort of thing in general, similar pricing.

I hope they're in stores here by Christmas, I really want a copy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
Some information from the publisher:

In the German market the three games have a similar price. Price differences in the shops, especially in the US, can have several reasons:
- They buy more copies of Agricola so they get a better price for it.

- Loyang has no US-distributor by now. The first copies are distributed by Heidelberger, and so the additional shipping costs have to be considered

Why isn't Loyang cheaper as Agricola, although it has less parts?
- Hall Games is not Lookout Games. I don't have an Agricola to refinance the losses if I produce too much copies. So I have to reduce my financial risk by starting with a modest amount of copies - and this increases the production costs per game.

- We had to decide if me make a cheaper version with wooden discs or cubes instead of the veggimeeples and sell the veggimeeples as an Extra package. In this case the price for the veggimeeples would have been much higher (because we would have produced less) and many of you would have paid for wooden discs they never need.
So we decided to produce the game in the nice "fan-version" - even if it looks more expensive than Agricola and Le Havre, if you compare the amount of tiles. And even if this means that we maybe sell less copies, because we know it IS a lot of money for a game.

We know that not everyone will be happy with this decision - but this isn't possible anyway, isn't it?

And here's an information for Essen attendees: The estimated price for a copy of "At the Gates of Loyang" at my booth is 37 Euros (approx. $54).

Thanks, Ralph! Don't misunderstand, I'm going to buy it regardless. I was actually more curious if it was a case of Funagain raising the price for their own profit margin. I would have guessed it at $55-65 anyways, so as I said, I didn't think the price was too off.

I completely understand all of the points you made, and quite frankly I'm just excited for the game (so is my wife! Yay!).

I'll have to see if there is anyone going to Essen that's willing to pick one up for me. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks Like the first print run will be a good buy. The vegimeeples alone make it very tempting. Now I will just have to convince my wife that this is a neccessary buy for our collection. But, honey, we already have Le Havre, and Agricola. We have to buy this one to complete the harvest collection shake

Convinced her. Pre-ordered it last week. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always a decent chance that German retailers will carry some copies of this at a price similar to what it would cost at Essen - and sometimes less. In November, keep your eye out at places like milanspiele.de. It just takes a few games in an order to make it economically feasible. That's how I got Le Havre at a decent price early on.

Addendum: I see that Milanspiele.de indeed plans to carry it for 37.50 euros, the same price as Le Havre. As part of a larger order, it should come to below $60 including shipping, which is still pretty steep, but better than $75.

I think I'll still sit tight and wait for a local edition. And if none shows up... I guess I'll wait to play someone else's copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I guess that means it's time to bug a publisher to release it in the U.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

Are we able to pre-order from Hall games to pick up at Essen at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.