Popular Tags: [View All]
Sascha Kutzmann
Germany
Krefeld
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, i am mighty interested in this game, i had a pretty big Horus Heresy CCG Collection but do not want another Moneypit, so just ONE question:

What is needed for starting this game? One Coreset per Player? one Coreset for 2? Enlighten me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with Magic, it depends on how you want to play the game. If you want to build a competitive deck, some people have said that you need 3 of each card. The way to do that is to buy 3 of each box (Core set + monthly expensions) because some card are present only once per box. The cards are set, so there are never more or less that 1 card per box for the "rare" cards.

This can quite pretty expensive, pretty fast.

Most players will want the Core set (39.99$) and maybe additonnal expensions one a month.(9.99$) Some will go for all the expensions, some for none, and some will only buy the expensions that look interesting.

(Also, aunt Jenny will buy little Johnny an expension box for his birthday, not knowing anything about what she is actually buying.)

The Core set contains 4 customisable decks. More than enough for a lot of plays, plus a few "draft" cards to extend the lifetime of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One core set contains everything you need for two players, but if you're anything like me, one of you will run out and get another one. There are not THAT many deck building options in the base set, but the preconstructed decks are a lot of fun to play with and very thematic.

The game itself is a lot of fun, and the faction interactions are interesting. No two match-ups play alike, but some are not terribly suited to play others out of the box (Dwarves vs. Chaos = Dwarves Win). I look forward to the eventual organized play.

The rules are difficult to get a handle on right away. I find it less intuitive than Magic, but more enjoyable when you figure everything out.

I've said this in another post, but I'll reiterate it: the art is fantastic!

It's also not a huge moneypit, either. You can have a good collection of cards splitting the core set with another player and picking two factions you really liked (after playing them all). Then you could split any of the Battle Packs you wanted. This would be 20 bucks each to get started and 5 dollars a month after. That's certainly a paltry sum by Magic standards. And you'd have every card for the factions you liked!

*Push*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this one, just go here and read my review - then you can decide for yourself (full disclosure is that I ADORE this game, it's excellent):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/443230/page/1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabool wrote:
As with Magic, it depends on how you want to play the game. If you want to build a competitive deck, some people have said that you need 3 of each card. The way to do that is to buy 3 of each box (Core set + monthly expensions) because some card are present only once per box. The cards are set, so there are never more or less that 1 card per box for the "rare" cards.

This can quite pretty expensive, pretty fast.

Not trying to rip on Mabool here but I have a couple of contrary opinions to share:

1. It's not Magic by any means - I wish people would move on and take this new game for what it actually is, a new game.

2. I wouldn't necessarily say that you'd need 3 of every card to be truly competitive. I can already see (after owning this and playing it a TON since GenCon) that there can be strong decks without absolutely having to have 3 of every card.

3. Finally, it's by no means "pretty expensive" if you DO want 3 decks. I use ThoughtHammer as my reference point but there are a ton of discount online retailers that are selling this between $25-27. So even if you DID decide that you absolutely had to have 3 full Core Sets, it'd run you about $75-85 with shipping. And you'd actually have 3 (& more) of every card something that would prove impossible with a normal CCG at that cost - especially Magic. This is an incredibly inexpensive game all things considered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
1. It's not Magic by any means - I wish people would move on and take this new game for what it actually is, a new game.

It is like Richard Garfield's Magic. Play creature, attack with them, have a nice duel. But I meant similar in that you ultimately choose how expensive it gets.

wytefang wrote:
2. I wouldn't necessarily say that you'd need 3 of every card to be truly competitive. I can already see (after owning this and playing it a TON since GenCon) that there can be strong decks without absolutely having to have 3 of every card.

Let me add to my statement. Some people have said that you need 3 of each card. I disagree.

wytefang wrote:
3. Finally, it's by no means "pretty expensive" if you DO want 3 decks. I use ThoughtHammer as my reference point but there are a ton of discount online retailers that are selling this between $25-27. So even if you DID decide that you absolutely had to have 3 full Core Sets, it'd run you about $75-85 with shipping. And you'd actually have 3 (& more) of every card something that would prove impossible with a normal CCG at that cost - especially Magic. This is an incredibly inexpensive game all things considered.

I prefer to use MSRP, but my point was that it depends on what you want to spend on the game. 3 of every Magic card ever printed for 80$? That would be a deal. But 220 Magic cards for 80$? That's reasonable. The scale of MTG is both a downfall and a selling point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note. Of course this game will bear a lot of resemblance to MtG, since it's the grand daddy of them all. The part you might focus on is the grand daddy part, however. Mechanically it's like comparing Wright brothers' prototype with the first jet plane. They both fly, true....but resemblance start to fade by a generation or two. I'm not saying this because almost as much time has elapsed since Mr. Garfield came up with his innovative game and there hasn't been any great update (looking at Magic 2010) to its system. The propeller system has history and recognition...but I think we should make way for the jet age.

To the original poster. If nothing else will push you to try this game. Check this out:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/warhammer_lcg/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabool,

I totally agree with Ruvion - he worded it much better than I could. The issue is that while a Lamborghini is still a car, it's really not much like the original Model T Ford.

And in Magic, you play a Wizard who creates creatures via Magic to directly destroy your opposing Wizard. In Warhammer: Invasion, your Race is defending it's own Capital/Country while attacking others en masse, not in a series of 1v1 battles. Players are akin to Generals organizing armies (similar to the Warhammer Fantasy Battles system, a tiny bit). To me that's quite a bit different. Then you have how the resources are generated (cleverly) by the cards themselves and where they are played while still allowing those actual cards to be a part of the gameplay itself while generating those resources. M:tG's resources come from specific cards that rarely do anything in the game. M:tG has the concept of Summoning Sickness while there's nothing like that in W:I. M:tG focuses on five colors while W:I focuses on Races not colors (small, but important distinction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have enough cards with just one copy of the CoreSet to make up 4 complete decks. The problem is that there are currently little to no deck building options due to the fact that the game was just released and no expansions have come out yet. As soon as the expansions start heading stores then all of your deck building options will sky rocket (personally I'm trying to horde as many dark elf cards as I can as the only other race that interests me at this point are the dwarves). So my recommendation is to purchase one copy of the CoreSet and try to find people to trade with if you want to optimize your deck. Personally I would just wait for the expansions to come out ($9.99 suggest MSRP so CoolStuffInc will probably sell them for around $6.99 a piece). To answer your money question, I don't feel that the game is much of a money sink compared to traditional CCGs. After buying the Core Set you only have to spend $15 a month to have 2 copies of every "rare" card (and you're only allowed 3 copies of a single card per deck) and 6 copies of all the common ones. Take into account that you could trade some of the "rare" cards you don't want to get the third copies of the ones you do and the price commitment to the game looks pretty small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Neal
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DerKutzi wrote:
Hi, i am mighty interested in this game, i had a pretty big Horus Heresy CCG Collection but do not want another Moneypit, so just ONE question:

What is needed for starting this game? One Coreset per Player? one Coreset for 2? Enlighten me

Been some good discussion here on this, but since the OP has yet to answer I will chime in again:

Watch the Videos on FF website, if they don't push you, you sir are an immovable object!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
(PUSH)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, we agree. It's similar to MTG, with a few differences:

wytefang wrote:
And in Magic, you play a Wizard who creates creatures via Magic to directly destroy your opposing Wizard. In Warhammer: Invasion, your Race is defending it's own Capital/Country while attacking others en masse, not in a series of 1v1 battles. Players are akin to Generals organizing armies (similar to the Warhammer Fantasy Battles system, a tiny bit). To me that's quite a bit different. Then you have how the resources are generated (cleverly) by the cards themselves and where they are played while still allowing those actual cards to be a part of the gameplay itself while generating those resources. M:tG's resources come from specific cards that rarely do anything in the game. M:tG has the concept of Summoning Sickness while there's nothing like that in W:I. M:tG focuses on five colors while W:I focuses on Races not colors (small, but important distinction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three MAJOR differences:

1. Three zones
2. No lands
3. Persistent damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
niftykracker wrote:

The game itself is a lot of fun, and the faction interactions are interesting. No two match-ups play alike, but some are not terribly suited to play others out of the box (Dwarves vs. Chaos = Dwarves Win). I look forward to the eventual organized play.

Chaos is a harder nut to crack, but Chaos vs. Dwarves != Dwarves Win. This match up requires a specific kind of "strategery" to pull out the win. One which if you have a background in M:TG may not be readily apparent, (not to say you won't but it will require contemplation since the faction does not line with a single color on Magic's wheel, but has elements of three or four of them). If you have a background in AGoT LCG, specifically Lannister you'll pick it out quickly and then it is just a matter of tweaking it a touch. (Hint, Lannister is the House with the most Gold and most Draw that wins games in a more indirect way than through massive military domination.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.