Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Glenn Beck loves America SO MUCH rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I am amazed by how Glenn is being vilified in the culture these days. It is easy to take things out of context and spin negativity out of them. Honestly, what can we really learn from this? It think all that we can really learn is that Glenn Beck has done at least one photo shoot in his life. I for one am shocked, SHOCKED to learn this about him. He is clearly the devils minion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's impossible to watch the tape of this photoshoot and not remember the time he cried on camera about his beloved country. Maybe you can tell the difference between these tears and those "real" ones, Wray. I sure can't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
For me, it's impossible to watch the tape of this photoshoot and not remember the time he cried on camera about his beloved country. Maybe you can tell the difference between these tears and those "real" ones, Wray. I sure can't.


I didn't see this guy crying about America. Still, this video appears to be a photo shoot for a book or something. I'm not certain why anyone would see this and then draw some other conclusion.

Now I did see Nancy Pelosi almost crying at the podium when she remembered the evil that protesters fomented back in the 60's. She was drawing a direct comparison between 60's radicals and the violence that erupted from some of the protests and the current trend of tea parties and anti-big government rallies.

Pelosi was dead on serious and I didn't buy it. This is a photo shoot and Beck does a much more convincing job. Perhaps that's why he made over $20 Million legally last year and Nancy had to do political horse trading and arm--bending with government contracts and public funds in order to get a few extra million for her hubby. She can't act, so she must steal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how you're always saying that Glenn Beck ISNT POLITICS, HE'S ENTERTAINMENT, yet you put up Nancy Pelosi as a simile rather than say, Jon Stewart.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Funny how you're always saying that Glenn Beck ISNT POLITICS, HE'S ENTERTAINMENT, yet you put up Nancy Pelosi as a simile rather than say, Jon Stewart.


I think the simile is adequate. He is just saying Pelosi ISNT POLITICS, SHE'S ENTERTAINMENT.

In all truth, that is a pretty apt description for almost every performance (i.e., public speech) I have seen her give.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
In fact, some might say he has built an entire career out of it.


Yeah, but RSP has turned into a bit of "Look what Glenn did now" lately and it's starting to make Tripp seem stable.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
DCAnderson wrote:
In fact, some might say he has built an entire career out of it.


Yeah, but RSP has turned into a bit of "Look what Glenn did now" lately and it's starting to make Tripp seem stable.


I would be in favor of a dedicated thread for YouTube videos of Glenn Beck doing dumb shit.


Can BGG support that many links?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
DCAnderson wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
DCAnderson wrote:
In fact, some might say he has built an entire career out of it.


Yeah, but RSP has turned into a bit of "Look what Glenn did now" lately and it's starting to make Tripp seem stable.


I would be in favor of a dedicated thread for YouTube videos of Glenn Beck doing dumb shit.


Can BGG support that many links?


We should probably get moderator approval first. And perhaps the opinion of some physicists. Wouldn't want the thread to spontaneously collapse and create some type of "Internet discussion forum singularity."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
CapAp wrote:
Funny how you're always saying that Glenn Beck ISNT POLITICS, HE'S ENTERTAINMENT, yet you put up Nancy Pelosi as a simile rather than say, Jon Stewart.


I think the simile is adequate. He is just saying Pelosi ISNT POLITICS, SHE'S ENTERTAINMENT.



What's terrible is that you had to explain it. I want the "old" CapAp back!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
How is Beck being able to turn the waterworks on and off by command for his shows.....


,,,,,Any different from a Chief Executive who can't speak 'off the cuff' and requires a teleprompter with a prepared speech?


We live in an era where we EXPECT 'theatrics' from our public celebrities *ahem* I mean, Public Servants....

A candidate actually saying what he FELT, at that minute, is a rare experience. To my knowledge, in the last 20 years, we've only seen this in Presidential Candidates five times....

Darilian
(Figure out the five for yourself! Bonus points for the first one to name them....)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
(Figure out the five for yourself! Bonus points for the first one to name them....)


Bonus points? If you're gonna make me rack my brain on a Friday night like that it better be the friggin' $64,000 question...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
How is Beck being able to turn the waterworks on and off by command for his shows.....


,,,,,Any different from a Chief Executive who can't speak 'off the cuff' and requires a teleprompter with a prepared speech?


We live in an era where we EXPECT 'theatrics' from our public celebrities *ahem* I mean, Public Servants....

A candidate actually saying what he FELT, at that minute, is a rare experience. To my knowledge, in the last 20 years, we've only seen this in Presidential Candidates five times....

Darilian
(Figure out the five for yourself! Bonus points for the first one to name them....)


This narrative that Obama cant say a word in public without a teleprompter is pretty weird. Seen any debates, town hall meetings or interviews? He is pretty eloquent. He wrote his own books, and writes lots of his own speeches, which is a RARITY. The guy is clearly trying to avoid gaffes, and to say he is unable to speak in public is silly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer66 wrote:
This narrative that Obama cant say a word in public without a teleprompter is pretty weird. Seen any debates, town hall meetings or interviews? He is pretty eloquent. He wrote his own books, and writes lots of his own speeches, which is a RARITY. The guy is clearly trying to avoid gaffes, and to say he is unable to speak in public is silly.


See, you made a mistake. You took the bait. Now someone will feel obliged to prove that you're wrong and is just about guaranteed to link to the "Obama's Teleprompter" YouTube video.

Rookie mistakes will get you killed, ya know.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
Darilian wrote:
(Figure out the five for yourself! Bonus points for the first one to name them....)


Bonus points? If you're gonna make me rack my brain on a Friday night like that it better be the friggin' $64,000 question...


I'll give Joe Lewis shouting out "You lie!" the nod for one of the five Dar is referring to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys make this thread the Glenn Beck video thread, I will put Vicks under my eyes and tape it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
perfalbion wrote:
wargamer66 wrote:
This narrative that Obama cant say a word in public without a teleprompter is pretty weird. Seen any debates, town hall meetings or interviews? He is pretty eloquent. He wrote his own books, and writes lots of his own speeches, which is a RARITY. The guy is clearly trying to avoid gaffes, and to say he is unable to speak in public is silly.


See, you made a mistake. You took the bait. Now someone will feel obliged to prove that you're wrong and is just about guaranteed to link to the "Obama's Teleprompter" YouTube video.

Rookie mistakes will get you killed, ya know.


Pay no mind to the Purple Avatar....!!

Go on, Steve...about Obama's 'Eloquence' (insert sneer here)

*LOL*

Actually Steve does have a point, that the 'Obama is lost without a Teleprompter' is a bit of a myth. But then again, so is the "Glenn Beck is so full of crap because he cries on demand."

The fact remains, We, the American People, DEMAND that our Politicians 'look good' on TV. Look at Al Gore, back in 2000. Gore was always getting hit hard for being a 'robot' (re: high falutin intellectual type) - and lost to a guy who just exuded a 'common man' feel.

There are times when I think Chad is right, in that many of us make decisions 'reflexisively'- and when it comes to personalities we see on TV, this certainly seems to be the case. I think that, many times, we'll see someone on TV, make an instant 'judgement call' on the person, and then look for pieces of information to build up and justify the decision that we made based on a 30 second spot on Television.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the types of personalities that 'appeal' or 'repel' to other people are 'grouped'- that there is a link between personality types that like Glenn Beck, for instance. As well as a common personality type that hates the man.

Thats why I really DON'T like to have my first exposure to a politician to be seeing them on TV. I really prefer to read what they say first, then watch them. Because, I'll admit, my appeal for John McCain came out of watching him on TV debating Bill Bradley- and I spent several weeks finding articles in the paper and the like that I would use to 'reinforce' how I felt about him, while (probably) denying or ignoring the pieces (mostly about his temper and the like) that would cause me to question him.

Having admitted this to myself, I try to compensate at times, mostly by not watching John on TV, but by reading his speeches and trying to get pieces about him from his opponents.

But its a scary realization- that for many people, that first 'look' we get at a candidate might be the most important. Which is all the more important then for a candidate to look 'polished'.

If true, its not necessarily a good sign for American Democracy....

Darilian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
DWTripp wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
Darilian wrote:
(Figure out the five for yourself! Bonus points for the first one to name them....)


Bonus points? If you're gonna make me rack my brain on a Friday night like that it better be the friggin' $64,000 question...


I'll give Joe Lewis shouting out "You lie!" the nod for one of the five Dar is referring to.


PRESIDENTIAL Candidates, Tripp!!!! shake

No, not Joe Lewis. whistle

Ok, a hint.
One was a Democrat, two were Republican, and two were Third Party Candidates.

Darilian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As my son would say, "that was retarded."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Perhaps that's why [Beck] made over $20 Million legally last year and Nancy had to do political horse trading and arm--bending with government contracts and public funds in order to get a few extra million for her hubby. She can't act, so she must steal.
The 20 million Beck makes seems to be a reoccurring theme in your posts these days, DW. Is something bothering you?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Any different from a Chief Executive who can't speak 'off the cuff' and requires a teleprompter with a prepared speech?


You're better than this. Obama has given plenty of talks with no teleprompter and done very well. This is one of the loonier right-wing attacks, and not what I expect from you.

I agree with the rest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are curious - this was done for a magazine photoshoot (GQ)...

http://punditfight.blogspot.com/2009/07/jill-greenberg-makes...

The final product is pretty scary. Funny though - I'd long since known about that pic, but I never knew what it was for or why it was so dramatic. This behind the scenes was cool to see; thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I don't think Obama is a great speaker even with a teleprompter. Many of his pauses seem to in the wrong places.

Of course, when I tried to think of someone whom I considered to be a good speaker, I could only come up with comedians. Really, speaking aloud is a crappy way to deliver any real information, but it does provide a good avenue for entertainment. Even thinking back to good teachers/professors that I've had, the ones that kept me coming to class and awake were the ones that threw humor into the mix.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

But its a scary realization- that for many people, that first 'look' we get at a candidate might be the most important. Which is all the more important then for a candidate to look 'polished'.

If true, its not necessarily a good sign for American Democracy....

Darilian

America might be a litle more spectacular, but I do not think any democracy is spared nowadays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The great divide is the Political Class vs. Joe P. Citizen.


Bunk. Joe P. Citizen expects government to do things that are necessary for him to live the life he wants to lead. What that specifically is varies by person, which is why we're a representative democracy and our agenda changes over time. If Joe P. Citizen were truly "anti-Washington" or "anti-political class" then the incumbency rate wouldn't come anywhere close to what it routinely runs to.

The problem is, the issues that we're facing are monstrous and it's hard to get your head around everything that goes into them if you spend enormous amounts of time reading and studying. Health care, social security, market regulation, infrastructure spending, fiscal policy, etc. - none of these are simple issues. But everyone wants to treat them that way and pretend that simple solutions or small tweaks will work all the time.

Except that they often don't and won't. Tweaks presume that the fundamental systems in place function. That's a questionable proposition for things like Social Security funding, Medicare funding, fiscal policy, tax codes, etc.

So it's nice that this is your opinion, but reality doesn't seem to bear you out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.