Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

"Starfleet WARS" seems to combine everything from everywhere, at the time of it's release, into one Game system! You'll see items that resemble one thing or another from just about any Sci-Fi genre that you can think of. I recognize parts in it from "2001", "Star Trek", "Star Wars", "Star Blazers", "Starship Troopers", "Battlestar Galactica", and just about any others that you can think of! They aren't direct copies(forget the 'lawsuit' "Jackie Chiles" wannabes), but the similarities are very striking in their resemblances. It was probably an attempt to meld ALL of those into one general arena, for the convenience of the players of these kinds of games. I do agree with them in this regard, since I have many 'orphan' Sci-Fi products that could be used in a 'system' such as they have provided.

The components consist of the following:
* a small cardboard box(6-inches by 9-inches) with a nearly BLACK & WHITE printed cover on the box top(depicting some 'Star Destroyers' & 'Starfighters' in combat ala "Star Wars"!)

* a 16 pages Rules Booklet(with a 'Ship Stats'/Ordering Catalog sheet in the center of this) and a 'Sample Play Chart' on the inside of the BACK page with a Listing/Order form on the very BACK

* [2]-Charts for ALL of the various Tables including:
1)Factor/Power Units
2)Firing
3)Damage
4)Particle Weapon *Special* Damage; Boarding; Energy Damping Beam; & Ranges

* a Ship Specifications Sheet(with enough room on this to allow (4) vessels to be kept track with)-you may wish to copy lots of these; and some "Simultaneous Movement" sheets; while you will need to provide an actual "decimal DIE +1 " that has 101 sides!(j.k.) although it has 'results' from 0~100(that's 101 'numerals' in MY book!?!

* You even get [5]-'minis'-"Starships" out of many of dozens and there are even "Starfighter"-'minis'(ultra-'minis'!).

As you've no doubt noticed, there isn't any mention of a gamemap or board and there isn't any! You have to use your tabletop, or floor, or what-have-you to conduct 'Battles' upon. There were/are "deep space" hex-maps available for use with the likes of this and many others, with various HEX-sizes to accommodate the actual SIZES of whatever you happen to have and need!

There are [5]-'Races' that are 'detailed'-(not too deeply) within this:

@ the 'Terran Federation'(Earth?)
@ the 'Entomalian Empire'(Bugs?)
@ the 'Avarian United Worlds'(Birds?)
@ the 'Aquarians Alliance'(Fish?)
@ and the 'Carnivoran Republic'(Meat-eaters?)

There is quite the room available for elaboration on these, and no doubt many with the restive imaginations could concoct plentiful backgrounds upon each and every one of this. That is just ONE extraordinary element of it all, from which they will allow someone to provide with anything in mind. Basing whatever else you could add into the 'mix' here and presenting that in some feasible or closely related basis, shall assist on furthering the entire GAME as an end result.

Here's the "Outline of Tactical Play" as shown in the 'Rules Booklet':

1) Determine vessels involved, the opening range between ships and what each side must do to win the battle.(Victory Condtions)
2) Determine available power units in each ship.
3) Allocate power units to offensive factors(lasers), defensive factors(shields) and speed factors.
4) All ships are moved simultaneously.
5)Take ranges, determine targets from each of your ships which will fire. Not all ships need to fire each turn.
6)Fire all weapons within range.
7)Compute hits
8)Compute loss of power units on each ship that was hit.
9)This completes one full turn. Repeat steps 2) through 8) until one side a) is destroyed b) retreats c) or has satisfied it's victory conditions.

Pretty 'quick & easy' to get 'down & dirty', if you ask me, unlike some others that I won't point out, but it's a matter of intricate tastes for some and "ease of play" for others. They even point out that these can be used for the following scales: 1:1200; 1:2400; 1:4800; 1:9600; or any other scale!

One other additional item that they should seriously consider on producing along with these, and that is for a "Planet/System" GROUND-based series of "minis"! There are plenty around in which you could be using those on this aspect, while having their OWN would help keep it within whatever manifestations for this it were that these should entail. Giving even a basic or generic depiction about all manner of buildings, industrial structures, BASE defense installations and the like, are what were deemed as being applicable in this instance. At the very least, then maybe make copies of the Planets from the likes of that TSR "Buck Rogers" just as a DISPLAY sort, in order to delineate portions from those on which to conduct interactions for this.

I would heartily encourage any others, along with myself also, on creating and design from 'scratch'-(as most likely), for anything that YOU can produce, and submit your photo imagery with such, as well with some detailed written explanation regarding yours.

The 'site' to obtain VESSEL "minis": Monday Knight Productions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a neat and fun fast-play system. You could slam it for ignoring Newtonian physics and what-not. But at least games could be played and finished fairly quickly—and it felt like you had finished a Star Wars-type space battle.

And the minis were extremely cool. Though they seemed to rely a bit on a few select franchises for general inspiration, overall the extended lines of shipd, from the tiny fighters all the way up to the super-dreadnoughts (which were some honkin' thick and detailed hunks o' lead!) were wonderfully detailed and aesthetically pleasing. Even the Entomolian ships, which came across sometimes as ambitious failures from a visual stand-point, were at least interesting to look and you could appreciate the idea of an asymmetric design sense.

...Have the rules been republished or the minis re-released or something? These rules and models are 30 years old! Why the sudden interest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The LINK at the very ending for this is "pro-active" if you 'click' on that, as they are still producing many of these, if not with more in addition to what had been available way back then!
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the system and minis have progressed quite a bit since I was playing way back when! They're still short the Aquarian fleet materials for the Galactic Knights game, but all the minis still look great!

Folks should know that the bottom sides of the models have nearly as much crunky detail as the top sides!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mighty Greedo
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of "quotes" in this "review". I couldn't help but "curl" my fingers in mid-air while "reading" it.

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Greedo wrote:
Lots of "quotes" in this "review". I couldn't help but "curl" my fingers in mid-air while "reading" it.

G
so-o-o-o-o-o... as you're "curling" your digits here, then ANYBODY *shot* 1st! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
so-o-o-o-o-o... as you're "curling" your digits here, then ANYBODY *shot* 1st! surprise

That's what was missing from a GROGnards post: smilies, color, and font styling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
If you checked into that "Monday Knight Productions" LINK within the REVIEW, then you may be able to obtain, newer, more updated materials about them there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.