California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that if you have a ship or installation on a system you can look at the planets anytime you want. That seemed to work well and kept it from being a memory game. The only issue was a system you left. We played that you only could look if you currently had a presence there.

Not sure if that was the intended rule of the designers. Guess it depends on how people feel about memory games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I am all for a quick game. If that means that anyone who could have looked at any time can look again, that is fine with me. It is either that, or if they cannot look again, they have to take detailed notes of what is where. That sucks the life out of the game for me. I don't have a very good memory, so I would prefer it not to be a memory game. So we have let people look as long as they have been to the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also played with the 'peeking allowed if you have a presence' house rule.

Everyone I have played with uses it at some point during the game. I feel it makes the game a bit more relaxed overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this comparison works or not, but when we play Starfarers of Catan, you can peek at the planets adjacent to you but once you leave you have to remember what they were.

I prefer Ad Astra played the same way, peek while you are there, but then remember once you leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Roberts
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that the various spacefarers have the requisite tech (beyond their memory) to know about other players installations and locations of ships (otherwise we would all have individual player boards!), we assumed that once a planet was revealed (presence or no) the planet remained face up. This also applied to exploratory 'peeks' - once you placed your ship in a system, you could reveal all or none of the remaining planets in the system to the other players as you wish.

As a variant, I have also been mucking around with relative distances. Three systems are placed in a rough triangle around Sol, these become the 'inner hub' and normal travel times apply. (note that newly built ships appear in deep space in the 'inner hub'.
The remaining systems form a larger ellipse around the 'inner hub' and become the 'outer hub'. Now one extra energy is required to reach this outer hub. Thus a newly created ship can travel to an inner hub system for 0 energy, or travel to the outer hub systems for 1 energy. A system to system jump within a hub costs 2 energy as normal, whereas a jump from the inner hub to the outer hub costs 3!

Planets in the inner hub are revealed at the start of play, whereas the outer hub planets must be explored as normal....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Noofy wrote:
As a variant, I have also been mucking around with relative distances. Three systems are placed in a rough triangle around Sol, these become the 'inner hub' and normal travel times apply. (note that newly built ships appear in deep space in the 'inner hub'.
The remaining systems form a larger ellipse around the 'inner hub' and become the 'outer hub'. Now one extra energy is required to reach this outer hub. Thus a newly created ship can travel to an inner hub system for 0 energy, or travel to the outer hub systems for 1 energy. A system to system jump within a hub costs 2 energy as normal, whereas a jump from the inner hub to the outer hub costs 3!

Planets in the inner hub are revealed at the start of play, whereas the outer hub planets must be explored as normal....

Very cool variant! I like it. Next time we play I'll suggest this.

How do you decide how many planets go around the inner and outer hubs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Roberts
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott,
Quote:
How do you decide how many planets go around the inner and outer hubs?

Well... We have been playing that the inner systems need at least one with seven planets, the rest at least three.
We play by alternating players playing one face down planet on different systems until all systems have at least three (inner hub planets are revealed face up). From then on the players place the planets where they will on their turn to a max of seven on any given system.

Please do try! I have been playing this way for the two player game and we really like it, tending to solidify our empires in the inner hub before upgrading our colonies to be freed up for exploring the outer hub. (8 card limit per round)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Peeking at any time when you're in the system probably works well, but I think it may slow the game down. Also, I always like some memory in a game, it makes for a fun surprise effect when soemone was sure a given planet was there and it isn't. Of course, if you dislike memory, playing that you can peek at anytime when you are in the system doesn't really change anything to the game.

As for the outer.inner hub idea, I'm skeptical. I'm afraid it can make energy more critical than it is. I must try it one of these days, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mostly played with the peek at anytime as long as you have a presence in the system. The logic behind it being if you have the technology to build ships to travel to distant systems, you probably have the computer technology to log all pertinent data of the planets you encounter once you are there. That being said, I think if you are going to follow that logic, you really should be able to peek anytime you want after you have visited a system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.