Court of the Medici» Forums » Strategy

Subject: I must be dumb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John V
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But why would you ever play cards to the outer court? Isn't the point of the game to prevent yourself from being eliminated from the inner court? If so, wouldn't you want to strengthen your position in the inner court by adding more cards there? I've only played once so maybe I just don't get it yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is to win by having the highest total across all the cards played. I have won a couple of games by eliminating myself from the inner court to end the game when I was ahead points wise due to cards played in the outer court.

The Inner Court is the timer for the game, manging the timer is a part of winning and playing well - but not all of it imo!

If you are interested I would suggest also checking out Issue 11 of the Z-Man Games newsletter, which includes a short strategy article on this game. As well as the forums here on BGG!

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to protect points.

Keep in mind that all card in play on the table are "The Court". The points you score are for all cards in play on the table, not just those that are part of the inner circle.

Also, since you can mingle your cards and the enemy cards in a stack, no player owns a stack. You can kill your own cards and you may want to if a mixed stack can give you a power swing. It's all about the numbers.

Playing cards to the "outer court", is also the only way to start a new stack (aside from using the lady on an inner court stack to split it into multiple stacks).

Loading stacks with your own cards, makes them targets. Jokers can kill

Spread around, become bedfellows with strange folk.

Play a few hands solo and stack on the inner circle, and then start some blood letting and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In most of my games thus far, placing cards to the Inner Circle dominates the early game play. When the Inner Circle gets whittled down a bit, that's when the game really begins. During my turn, if I'm in a position where I can't end it favorably but my opponent might be able to, I'll try to place a high enough value card in the Outer Court so that I'd be ahead on points if he did end it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.