Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dday is very different from RAF, but I think you'll like it.

It's really not difficult at all, but has a nice elegant design and a very good feel ... the struggle of getting off the beach alive really comes through in the game play.

Looking at the map w/ all the circles and shapes ... it appears intimidating, but it's really deceiving. About half way through the 'intro scenario' and you not only get it, but you rarely even have to look up the charts or rule book to play (at least through the beach landing portion).

I personally prefer Dday to RAF. It's not as deep as Fields of Fire, but it's a much tighter game design that works well. And the rule book is very well done IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have never played either game, know nothing of either game, don't know you or your tastes but no, you will hate this game, whatever it was.

Just a heads up, you're welcome.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of the feedback on the CSW Forum has been resoundingly positive about this game.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@@.1dd170dc

It appears that Butterfield really hit it out of the park with both RAF II and D-Day at Omaha Beach. That seems to be the consensus anyway based on my observations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oyvind Rolstad
Norway
Lillehammer
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb

This is quite simply the best solitaire game I have ever played-period!The game mechanics is easy to grip and quite innovative and elegant- and after playing but few turns you will have all the different elements of the game completely into your brain. Then you can consentrate fully on the tactical elements which makes the game a blast to play.
What sets this game so much apart from all the other solitaire war- games I have played- "Raid on St Nazaire" and similar- is the lack of complicated calculations and- not the least- record managing.No die- rolls!! The game take care of all that almost by itself thanks to the innovative game mecanics.

Buy it and play it! You can't get wrong- it can even be played by two persons- each taking care of one division.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not yet tried RAF, but will heartily endorse D-Day! It is a great game, easy system to learn, well-written rules and the game provides tough choices and tense situations. And the designer apparently lives on the internet because he is always available to answer questions and provide encouragement. I don't think you can ask for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a disclaimer up front: I haven't played RAF, though it is on my wishlist, so I cannot compare those two directly.

At first, the circles looked intimidating to me too. But all they really do is save you tedious line of sight checks - if you're sitting on a circle, you can get hit, and the circle itself tells you how likely that is to happen. I have to agree with the others here: once you have gone through a few turns, lots of rules get absorbed pretty easily and you won't have to resort to tables all the time, though of course the tables will always be there to jog your memory, should you need it.

I also like the tactical elements involved when attacking German positions. You won't have to depend on a die roll or card draw. Instead, it's all about the right combination of manpower and available weapons, making for very interesting situations - you'll know you can take out that Widerstandsnest, if only you could get that MG from across the beach over here...

As for your question: basically, the beach landings make up the first half of the (full) game. There'll be a lot of tight moments, running for cover and trying to break through the defenses. After that, the fight continues on the high ground. It does not become much more complicated in terms of having more tables and bookkeeping - instead, an additional layer of options, both for Germans and for the US, is placed on top. All of those are as intuitive as the beach landing rules and should sink in similarly quickly.

I've found that once the rules have been absorbed, they largely vanish into the background. You'll be able to focus on the actual game rather than bookkeeping.

I am playing on a table that is roughly 31 by 55 inches, and that gives me plenty of space all around the map. Strictly speaking, all you will really need space for apart from the map is a counter tray (or a few piles of counters) and the deck of cards plus discard pile, though some room for the reference charts is handy as well, at least while learning.

Hope this comes in somewhat useful for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Webnard wrote:
. Which I found in RAF, too. Would you elaborate?
Basically your units arrive on the beach in turns of historical accuracy. Where they land though can vary widely based on card pulls (i.e. the current can drift them way off course). Once they land they have to make it through this massive kill zone (think Saving Private Ryan). Again depending on the card pulls and where you move your units, entire sections of the beach can get wiped out, forcing you to adjust your strategy.

Quote:
Ok. This is good. What happens after the beach landing? Tons of charts?

No, definitely not tons of charts but there are more German actions. Basically the first half of the game you are dealing w/ static German units, the second half they can move/advance/ambush. Mr. Butterfield said in one post if I recall correctly, the 1st part of the game is less complex than Ambush, the 2nd half is on par with Ambush. I'd say that's pretty fair based on my experience, I'd even say the 2nd half is slightly less complex than Ambush.

Quote:
Two more questions: (1) what is preferable in DDAy? and (2) how much table space does it take?

I personally feel like i make more frequent and more meaningful decisions in DDay than RAF. At times for me, RAF feels a bit more like B17 where the game is playing you.

As for table space, it is exactly the same size map as RAF so if you already bought the plexi for RAF you are set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C hayes
Ireland
Co Waterford IRELAND
IRELAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Buddy Saw your input on the forum Got to ask D DAY or Fields of fire Whats your take on them Im interested in both What do you suggest Many Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, just break down and do the same as I did, bought D-Day at Omaha, RAF II, Field Commander Rommel, and Fields of Fire. I also have Ambush (great game), and RAF. You're guaranteed to find something you like, and whatever you don't you can use for the 2009 Wargamer Secret Santa, or for trades!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the way you think Shane. I have D-Day at Omaha, RAF II, Field Commander Alexander, Fields of Fire and Ambush. I enjoy them all for different reasons. The problem is figuring out how to play them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webnard wrote:
swoyak wrote:
Ahhh, just break down and do the same as I did, bought D-Day at Omaha, RAF II, Field Commander Rommel, and Fields of Fire. I also have Ambush (great game), and RAF. You're guaranteed to find something you like, and whatever you don't you can use for the 2009 Wargamer Secret Santa, or for trades!
I like the way you think!

Unfortunately, not everyone in my household sees my reasoning. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.