Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott S.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the old Buying and Selling forum to be extremely useful, and I'm very perturbed that it's gone. Here are a list of things that I used to do here that I now don't know where to do. Does all of this stuff now belong in the General forum?

-Discuss the best way to sell things
-Discuss the best way to package/ship things
-Make "want to buy" posts
-Discuss Ebay ridiculousness (or other interesting things)
-Find out where to buy things that are hard to find
etc. etc. etc.

So now what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussing eBay and asking where to buy hard to find items certainly fits here.

I think the rest can still have a home here as well.

The previous name was really pretty bad in terms of communicating the intent of the forum. Not being allowed to explicitly buy or sell in a forum called Buying and Selling caused a lot of confusion. The new name doesn't capture the full scope, but it is MUCH closer to expressing the intent of the forum than the other.

In short, feel free to use it as you always have with the exception of actually making any offers or announcing sales/auctions.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Discussing eBay and asking where to buy hard to find items certainly fits here.

I think the rest can still have a home here as well.

The previous name was really pretty bad in terms of communicating the intent of the forum. Not being allowed to explicitly buy or sell in a forum called Buying and Selling caused a lot of confusion. The new name doesn't capture the full scope, but it is MUCH closer to expressing the intent of the forum than the other.

In short, feel free to use it as you always have with the exception of actually making any offers or announcing sales/auctions.

-MMM

I appreciate your response, but I can almost guarantee you that if I post questions about selling, "want to buy" messages, or the like, people will tell me that this isn't the right forum. Those topics have nothing to do with "Discussing Retailers."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, the box on my home page is still titled buying and selling. I agree with Scott, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The front page module has kept the same larger title as it covers this forum, Hot Deals, and Geekbay.

I'm open to suggestions to improve upon the current name.

Discussing Selling and Retailers?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
The front page module has kept the same larger title as it covers this forum, Hot Deals, and Geekbay.

-MMM

Will there be a forum for non-retailers to advertise that they're selling their wares or seeking specific titles? The current methods of searching in the Marketplace are dreadful, and the new structure of this forum presumably prevents regular joes from announcing that they're selling something that may be in demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

Will there be a forum for non-retailers to advertise that they're selling their wares or seeking specific titles? The current methods of searching in the Marketplace are dreadful, and the new structure of this forum presumably prevents regular joes from announcing that they're selling something that may be in demand.

That would be the recently changed "Geekbay" forum that is now also included in "buying and selling" front page module

Geekbay Description:

"Post announcements of Geekgold auctions or Geeklist auctions here."

Since that forum is still on the same front page module, regular joes should still get the same announcement visability from interested users.

To seek specific titles, you can go to that game's BGG page, and the marketplace items for just that game will be listed.

As a side note,

Discussing Retailers description:

"Discuss game retailers, ebay sellers, the marketplace, and anything else related to buying and selling games here. Please, no offers or ads by sellers."

justscott wrote:

I appreciate your response, but I can almost guarantee you that if I post questions about selling, "want to buy" messages, or the like, people will tell me that this isn't the right forum. Those topics have nothing to do with "Discussing Retailers."

Point them to the official description of the forum

justscott wrote:
I found the old Buying and Selling forum to be extremely useful, and I'm very perturbed that it's gone. Here are a list of things that I used to do here that I now don't know where to do. Does all of this stuff now belong in the General forum?

-Discuss the best way to sell things
-Discuss the best way to package/ship things
-Make "want to buy" posts
-Discuss Ebay ridiculousness (or other interesting things)
-Find out where to buy things that are hard to find
etc. etc. etc.

So now what?

Its not gone. The current (possibly temporary) situation is that the forum for announcements of geeklist auctions and GG auctions is now called "Geekbay". Its in the same front page module with the same visibility as the buying and selling. The buying and selling forum was renamed (not deleted) to "Discussing Retailers." All those things you listed are still able to be posted there (despite the forum name) because of the description of that forum.

The admin talked about some of this a couple posts up:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4007674#4007674

The disconnect between the title and description is intentional at the moment, and I think the reason the admin is asking for a new more appropriate name is so as to make them match up. I belive a large reason why it was renamed was so that people don't assume from the forum title that its ok to post things like auction announcements in it (as they have been doing increasingly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about finding a list of online retailers? I found the FLGS of the world Google map, but where do I find a list of places where I can order things online and where they are located?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lil Red Head wrote:
What about finding a list of online retailers? I found the FLGS of the world Google map, but where do I find a list of places where I can order things online and where they are located?

Online websites? Well I would try the price comparison engines for boardgames, they list a bunch. I think there are some threads that list those, and some that online stores.

I don't have the links handy at the moment, but my favorite online store right now is:
www.boardsandbits.com (located in washington I think)

funagain has a huge selection but tends to be more expensive.

As for locations of them, I think you might have to check the individual websites.

Edit:

If you move the mouse over "HOME" at the top then click "BGG wiki" you'll see a list of wiki pages relating to BGG and board games.

One of them is a list of online retailers in differant countries including USA
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Index

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Maybe something like "Discussion of Buying and Selling [NO sales/auctions allowed, discussion only]" for the title of the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
facesnorth wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Maybe something like "Discussion of Buying and Selling [NO sales/auctions allowed, discussion only]" for the title of the forum.

Too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Too long.

Sure it's longer than any of the other forum titles. But on my screen there is tons of white space to the right of the forum names, and underneath are subheadings listing a lot more information. There's plenty room for a title of that length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the length would cause issues. I like the directness, but it needs to be balanced with succinctness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I'm pretty sure the length would cause issues. I like the directness, but it needs to be balanced with succinctness.

You could call the forum "Discussion of Buying and Selling" and then the first part of the subheading could be "NO sales/auctions allowed, discussion only."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.