8 Posts

Automobile» Forums » General

Subject: Starting player disadvantage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wong Stewart
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hi guys, I personally feel that whenever the starting player go 1st, will suffer getting most black marker, as such it is always use for last action gone for closing the factory or request for pass to get the 1st executive decision to close factory, that is really a waste of the action to the starting player...anyone else care to share ur experenice of the starting player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the first turn, before anybody else, the starting player gets to choose where he goes in the turn order. I fail to see how that is a disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting player has first choice of role. He can choose a role to go last, or close to last, if he wants. If he chooses the first role, then he goes first on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are referring to the first round's starting player (not character selection), I have become fond of taking Sloan for this very reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wong Stewart
Singapore
flag msg tools
ekted wrote:
The starting player has first choice of role. He can choose a role to go last, or close to last, if he wants. If he chooses the first role, then he goes first on purpose.

i was most of the time going 1st in the 2 to 3 turn..no one wan to pass 1st, i was actually accumlate taking black marker unless i choose to close factory which i hav 1 less action to do others action, hmm...maybe is just me feeling that way is abit unfair if to retain as a last factory on the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Going first - I mean not being first to chose the character - means you will be able to close the factory in a management phase. A refund and getting rid of a half of loss cubes is more than enough for not to regret being first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going first would only really suck if you don't close your factory down for the first couple of turns. If you go first it's pretty much a given that you have to close that factory a.s.a.p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe what the IP (Wong) is trying to say is that whoever puts down the first factory is going to collect more black cubes. However, on turn one they are not so bad, only $10 apiece and at some point (either turn one or two) you are going to shut down that initial factory and get rid of half your loss cubes (rounded up).

Now, I actually like to take Durant on turn one, put down the early mid-price car factory and, later in the turn, get a second model type going (either luxury or economy class cars) and sell some through distributors. Durant and Howard are the only two characters that will put you in position to produce two different type cars on turn one. Of the two, Durant comes with a white cube, which gives you a bit more flexibility for which model later in the turn.

Some people prefer Chrysler on turn one, which gives you the advantage of building last (more modern factory, one more white cube, get to see how many cars everyone else builds) but the trade-off is you are likely to go late (perhaps last) in selecting a character in turn two, which could be a big disadvantage when playing with a full table of five players.

The main advantage of Ford, by the way, is not so much the extra factory, but the fact that you are guaranteed to go first in the Exec Decision phase, which means you don't have to waste one of your regular actions on a "Close Factory" move since there will always be one available in the Exec Decision phase, assuming you don't need to make adjustments after seeing everyone's production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.