Subject: Space Hulk - Comparison of all 3 editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Gregory
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this question has been covered elsewhere, but I can't find a direct comparison of the 3 different editions of Space Hulk.

I managed to get myself a copy of the 3rd edition, which I haven't played yet and I am in two minds whether to keep it, or to sell it on to a friend and then buy a secondhand earlier edition.

While the whole world seems to have gone mad for the latest (3rd) edition, I have seen several differing opinions on whether the figures, rules etc. are better (i.e. more practical) or worse than the two previous editions.

What would be really useful is if some people with experience of owning and/or playing all 3 versions of the game can enlighten me as to the pros and cons of the previous editions versus the 3rd edition.

Many thanks,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Second Edition is considered vastly inferior by fans of the first edition. The rules for 1ed and 2ed are available, so you could play 3ed with those rules if you wanted, but you'd lose out on some of the stuff integrated with 3ed that was only available through expansions.

If you search through the forum you will find at least half a dozen threads detailing the differences between 1ed and 3ed, while people pretend 2ed didn't exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Ed has *alot* of support in the form of WD articles and the 3 expansions. 3rd Ed uses elements of the expansions, but will likely see very little support past that.

2nd Eds big advantage was the Terminator figures could swap out weapons. And the tiles had more variety, which is good or bad depending on outlook.

3rd Ed makes some odd rules changes, but is otherwise good to go. Its main drawbacks are the potentially fragile minis and tiles. And/or broken/missing components. 50/50 chance on that. Personal preffrence will factor in on if you like the new figures or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hey Nigel,

I myself was brought up on the 2nd edition (the one that people pretend doesn't exist), and I'd say that all three editions have there pros and cons (to me anyway- everyone of course has different opinions on what is a pro and what's a con).

1st Edition- This was obviously the first and most popular release of the game. It is almost identical in terms of rules to the newest 3rd edition except for special characters and certain weapons (which were only available through expansions released later). The flame thrower guy could also blow himself up as a suicidal attempt to take some Genestealers with him (this would have been vastly useful to me in the newest edition because I personally find the flamethrower the weakest of all the weapons and rarely get a shot with him per mission). This version also has the most basic production with all parts doing their job and little else (tiles sections were very plain looking with little detail, as were doors and models were simple and effective casts. The mission book contained 10 or so missions.

2nd Edition- This is the version apparently hated by everyone except me who was bought up playing it. It used quite different rules to both the 1st and 3rd edition including a complete rewrite of the Flamethrower's rules (making him useful in my opinion). Blips were also changed from 1-3 Genestealers to 0-6 meaning it was possible to have fake "0" reading blips. Other changes included special dice for resolving bolter fire and special bulkhead doors that could be used in certain missions to completely shut off Genestealer entry points. The timer was also removed much to the complaints of gamers (this also never bothered me as having now played with the timer I find I rarely if ever run out of time). Production-wise this was a big step up. Tile detail and quality improved greatly, with attracive and brooding details to rooms and corridors. The models changed with the edition but kept to being simple and perfectly sized and posed for the game board. This edition also had the best mission book with a total of 18 missions across three campaigns.

3rd Edition- The newest and most over produced version. The rules are almost identical to 1st edition rules with some also taken from 1st edition expansions and a few new ones thrown in. The blips and flamers (disappointingly) went back to their orignal rules and the mission book shrank back to 10 missions. This version has the highest quality components with tiles so thick you could use them to support your roof, the most beautiful tile art ever and almost gleefully over produced miniatures in a variety of poses. The models ARE fantastic looking, but they are also totally unsuited for moving and facing around a game board. The Genestealers climbing on things also annoy me- it's great and dynamic posing...but it does make some of them look like they're surfing on bits of metal as you move them about. I also worry that as attractive as the miniature objective pieces are they probably would have knocked a £5 off of the game by being card like in earlier editions. This version is an awesome creation, and although I may still go back to using the 2nd Edition flamer rules and the larger mission book 3rd's probably the best version to date. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greggers wrote:
What would be really useful is if some people with experience of owning and/or playing all 3 versions of the game can enlighten me as to the pros and cons of the previous editions versus the 3rd edition.

Nigel,
Somewhere in either SH1/2ED or SH3rd ED here on BGG someone did compare all three, but it would be to hard to look right now. So, here are some of the things that are different:

- 1st & 3rd ED use the timer, albeit differently. 1st ED you got 2 minutes plus 30 seconds for every sergeant or captain in play. Third has just 3 minutes no matter the number of sergeants. 2nd ED didn't have a timer.

- 1st & 3rd ED use similar flamer rules, one template effects whole board section, 2nd ED used 12 flamer tokens, one per square and you could double up on a square. All three flamers handle flaming a bit differently. 1st ED Genestealers (GS) only roll once for damage. 2nd you could flame in a chain, up to 12 sq, and you could flame a sq twice. GS rolled for each flame token for damage. 3rd ED one flamer per section, like in 1st ED, but GS roll for damage every time they move along with the initial first damage roll.

- 1st & 2nd ED command point (CP) rules are the same, only dray once each turn. 3rd ED rules you can redraw if you don't like the first number. This can only be done if you still have a sergeant in play.

- 1st & 2nd ED Marines came with just storm bolters, no assault cannon, no thunder hammer, no lightning claws and no librarian in the base game. These were added in 1st ED through White Dwarf (WD) and then with the two expansions, Space Hulk: Deathwing Expansion (DW) & Space Hulk: Genestealer Expansion (GS). 3rd ED came with these rules and minis to go with the rules.

- 1st ED introduced Physic rules first in DW expansion (simular to 3rd ED) and then revised in GS expansion. 2nd ED removed the psyic rules. 3rd ED resurrected the physic rules using a mix of the DW & GS expansion.

1st ED is the only version that uses other races than SM & GS. GS expansion added Genestealer Hybrid & Chaos Terminators, and Citadel Journal added Eldar Harlequins and Imperial Guards. 2nd ED WD article did add Space Wolf Rules adding also the assault cannon.

- 1st, 2nd & 3rd ED all have their own unique board sections. 1st ED (w/ expansions) set the standard for the type and amount of boards. 2nd ED boards were more colorful and as I remember they were the same as the ones in the base game with a few exceptions. 3rd ED has set a new standard for aesthetics but may have lowered the standard for quality as many have had issues with delaminating of their board sections.

- 1st ED Space Marines (SM) & Stealers were GW's early venture into plastic figures. SM's were one-piece statues figures. You could buy Termis from GW's leads. The GS were three part one-pose figures. 2nd ED introduced new SM's that were multi part (5) models. You could turn the torso and place the arms in different attitudes. Again you could replace them with the excellent newer released 40K Terminators that have been released in the past years. 3rd ED went back to the one pose thinking, but these are more animated in their poses.

That is all I can remember of the top of my head. I am sure I missed a few other different rules so if anyone can fill in please do.

Brother Jim cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narlgoth wrote:

The Genestealers climbing on things also annoy me- it's great and dynamic posing...but it does make some of them look like they're surfing on bits of metal as you move them about.

I have to admit that this is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the problem with that is...?

I love the dynamic poses of the Genestealers. If you want to put it into context, imagine them taking advantage of the constantly changing structure of the Space Hulk itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Gregory
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd ED didn't have a timer.

Is this why everyone (apart from Brad who gets full marks for sticking to his guns!) doesn't seem very keen on the 2nd Edition? It sounds like it is a pretty crucial part of the gameplay and that the element of tension would be largely gone with out it. Anyone care to comment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd Ed had a number of changes and omissions other than the timer if you'd bothered to reade the points in the posts above.

For some the lack of the timer was a boon, and it seems in general everyone liked the 2nd Ed customizable terminators better than 1st or in some cases 3rd.

Its all the other rules changes that vex people.
And really, the diffrences are such that 2nd Ed should have its own entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

1st ed: Base game + Deathwing (heavy weapons) + Genestealer (psychic rules). Genestealer = crap.

2nd ed: Dunno. Crap.

3rd ed: Base game + Deathwing. Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greggers wrote:
2nd ED didn't have a timer.

Is this why everyone (apart from Brad who gets full marks for sticking to his guns!) doesn't seem very keen on the 2nd Edition? It sounds like it is a pretty crucial part of the gameplay and that the element of tension would be largely gone with out it. Anyone care to comment?

Well, the timer, the "new" flamer which it almost an alternate version of the assault cannon, but mostly the fact that you could use the CPs only in the SM phase, making the game much more luck-based and shallow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Omega2064 wrote:
And really, the diffrences are such that 2nd Ed should have its own entry.

I second this motion. Give 2nd Ed. its own entry!! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
baba44713 wrote:

Well, the timer, the "new" flamer which it almost an alternate version of the assault cannon, but mostly the fact that you could use the CPs only in the SM phase, making the game much more luck-based and shallow.

Once again-
people seem to view 2nd Ed' as less equal to the others when it was basically the same game with a couple of different rules that people took issue to because they couldn't get over the nostalgic 1st Ed'. I feel that the 3rd Ed' rules being a combination of ideas from 1st Ed' and its expansions reflects this.

On the point of 2nd Ed' being more luck based... nah. All three Ed's have extreme amounts of luck- I'd say they're about equal in fact. Being able to use command points in the Genestealer turn is merely a rule- it doesn't reduce the buckets of dice you will still be rolling every game. If anything CPs in the GSs turn simply bring a little balance to the game as marines can now repair jams and drop Overwatch for On Guard- increasing their chances of survival, but not reducing luck.

As I said before, I feel the timer's absence is a minor complaint against 2nd Ed' as I have still not seen it run out while using it in 3rd Ed' games- the Marine player is always done with their turn way before.

It's probably worth pointing out that I like all three versions- all of which have their little pros and cons. I think I feel about 2nd Ed' like many feel about 1st Ed', I grew up playing and loving it- it's a little insulting to never hear anything positive about it. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narlgoth wrote:

On the point of 2nd Ed' being more luck based... nah. All three Ed's have extreme amounts of luck- I'd say they're about equal in fact. Being able to use command points in the Genestealer turn is merely a rule..

Oh come on..

You can't just wave off the tactical implications of evaluating the trade-off between using CPs during the SM phase or keeping (and potentially wasting) them in the GS phase, not to even mention how largely it impacts the Genestealer player's tactics. By your logic you can do away with the concept of CPs entirely or even reshape the entire thing in a roll-and-move game and everything will still remain unchanged, because all we are talking about are *merely* rules because it all comes down to throwing dice.

Subjective opinions are one thing, but objective misconceptions are something completely different. I have nothing against people digging the 2nd edition, in fact if anything the CP management in 2nd ed makes the rules much more streamlined and much less prone to issues and problems. But PLEASE do not claim with the straight face that they play "about equal" just because in both versions you get to roll dice, geez...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was saying spending CPs in the Genestealer turn was merely an equaliser, I can see it's a strategic option open to 3rd Eds' marines that wasn't there in 2nd- I'm saying it makes ultimately little difference in a game so heavy with luck.

In 2nd Ed' when that jam result came up it might have well been a death mark for the marine- chances are he wouldn't still be alive by his next turn as there would be nothing for him to do other then stand there and be attacked. This streamlined system (as you so well put it) made 2nd Ed' exceptionally hard as once your luck was up it was game over (man!).

3rd Ed' now lets you spend command points in the 'Stealer turn which does give you more options- but not so much as to reduce the luck of the game but simply as a way of that jam not counting as certain death. Now (assuming you had any points left) you can repair jams mid stealer turn and even drop it altogether for "on guard" as a last ditch attempt to stay alive. Regardless of your option choice it still comes down to luck of dice as to whether that choice ultimately works or not.

It sounds like you're saying that being able to spend CPs in the 'Stealer turn completely changes the level of luck when it doesn't.

Maybe I'm not making any sense to you, but I know what I mean!shake
Anyway I'm leaving it at that. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.