Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've not tried a game of this yet - but i had a couple of questions:

1. Selecting your forces - I would assume you do this in secret (on paper would be easy enough) - but what do other people do?

2. Set-up - ? Again, it would need to be done in secret. a nice screen between the 2 sides of the board would be nice i guess, but a little impractcal. Drawing up your plans on paper would work but would be a little tedious.... maybe place one unit at a time until they where all on the board. any suggestions?

- any other helpful comments?

-----

Lastly - i like the idea of each side having a base they have to defend. If its taken it is worth 2 banners (but only while held) any thoughts on this? - Basically - i just like the idea of a target....

So each side would have one base tile they have to place as part of their set-up.

-----

Anything else want to talk about regarding this?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only ask if "have not tried a game of this yet" is referring to points-based CCA or the actual game itself?

That may seem an odd question, but I have seen a number of occasions where a person who is entirely "new" to a system enters through a door marked "variant." If folks want to play variants, that's fine. I just hate it if a person's only impression of a game system is based on...something not quite the game system.

A friend of mine--who had never played-- read the rules in preparation for a game weekend and started making "improvements" along the lines of "we'll all buy our own armies like (other system)," which, in his "vision" would have ended up with forces of 10-12 units and one leader. That may be interesting, but it's very different from what a "normal" game is like and there would have been several people getting their first intro to the game this way, so I resisted.

Note, by the way, that you have posted this question in "Rules." There is a thread called "variants," and if you have not looked back through the many postings there, you may find some of the answers you are looking for. You'll also find-- if you don't know it-- many listing for the CCA: Ancients site, which is very full, both of base game info, variants, additional scenarios, and point system ideas.

No offense intended if you're a veteran CCA person looking for something different. I just don't recall seeing your name before and if you haven't tried "pure" yet, I would encourage you to give that a go before trying the other way. If nothing else, you'll get more appreciation for units' strengths, weaknesses, and value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas havreglid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made my own point based system here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/362026

I play it regularly and use terrain variant 2. What sometimes happen is that the terrain is put in a way that looks unnatural. However it usually makes the gameplay more interesting and i think that is more important. Choosing forces is done by writing them down on paper. It is not that difficult really, it only takes a few minutes.

What points system are you using by the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,

yes, i have played many games of the 'fixed' scenarios... and i certainly am not trying to 'imrove' the game - i enjoy it a lot. i just saw the PBS sytem on the ccainciant site and thought it sounded okay.

this is the thing i am talking about:

http://www.ccancients.net/Variants/Point-Buy-System/index.ht...

- i should have been a little clearer. is this a rules question or a variant? i'm not sure if it's an official variant rule...

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To my knowledge there are no "official variants."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kowalskie wrote:
Lastly - i like the idea of each side having a base they have to defend. If its taken it is worth 2 banners (but only while held) any thoughts on this? - Basically - i just like the idea of a target....

So each side would have one base tile they have to place as part of their set-up.

Anything else want to talk about regarding this?

Malcolm,

It sounds like you and your friend are coming from the DBA/DBM or Field of Glory side of Ancients miniatures gaming, where PBS (point systems) and defending a camp are important features of tournament-style play.

There are two tournament-style systems for C&C:A out there that I've tried, including one that has stood the test of a lot of play online using the VASSAL engine.

These would be:

Don Clarke's "Scenario X" lists which are broken down from DBA lists. All battles have opposing armies composed of 12 units and 2 leaders along with some defender-placed terrain. Scenario X battles are very popular on VASSAL.

and

CC:A Detailed Army Lists and Point Buy System which seems to be broken down from Field of Glory lists. In addition to points, they introduce variants to the way some units fight. That can be a bit off-putting. Not so popular.

(These systems can be found in the Files section of the C&C:A page here at BGG.)

However, I think C&C:A is most fun as a scenario-driven battle game. The best scenarios are researched and play-tested to pose interesting battlefield situations and problems for players to solve and resolve. Opponents are not simply fighting a match-em-up, smash-em-up battle with some random terrain—like most tournament-style Ancients games—but are instead fighting both a battle against each other and trying to overcome some kind of scenario-given impediment or special circumstance (surprise attack, difficult terrain, arriving reinforcements, etc).

Consequently, scenarios are often UNbalanced contests. But the gameplay is so fast and fluid, that players usually switch sides to see if they can out-do one another from the other side. The banner count from the two games decides the overall victor or "best player" of the scenario.

I've played DBA/DBM and didn't like it. I have Field of Glory and all the lists but find three hours (often more) to fight a tournament-style
battle just too much investment in time for the return of fun. I always come back to C&C:A and have the most fun with the scenarios and Epic battles.

I know tournament-style play is popular with many—and particularly with miniatures players. And if you and your friend are really looking for something along those lines, I've had some good times with the two systems I've mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kduke wrote:
To my knowledge there are no "official variants."

There should be, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.