Subject: Balanced point system for buildings... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, having buildings in the beginning gives the players a big advantage. However, some people have trouble getting camels.

So what about changing the system of how you get points:

When you build a building you get points depending on which week you currently are in.

0 vp for each building built during week 1

3 vp for each building built during week 2

6 vp for each building built during week 3

So even though a player manage to build 4 buildings the first 7 round, he will score 0 vp for them, however, he will be able to use those buildings during the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
LupusX wrote:
Generally, having buildings in the beginning gives the players a big advantage.

Yes, but those buildings don't exactly come for free, and someone pursuing buildings very strongly will not participate meaningfully in the caravan and the souks during the first week, and sometimes not even in the first half of the second. If you introduce a timed award, buildings are no longer interesting to pursue as a strategy; and this will upset the balance of the game considerably.

Quote:
However, some people have trouble getting camels.

Sometimes it's a little difficult, true. But I've not found it problematic as there are ways to increase that number.

Quote:
So what about changing the system of how you get points:

And how does that affect the fact that you think camels are hard to obtain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't getting camels the universe is telling you to pursue a different strategy....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Oster
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that in a 4-player game getting the camels from the board is especially difficult, but that just makes the card deck with its various mitigating options, i.e 1:1 exch gold/camels, build building without camels, gain 3 camels, a much more attractive option than it is with a lower player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
And how does that affect the fact that you think camels are hard to obtain?

My thought was that if you don't get camels, you don't get buildings, and if you don't get buildings then you fall behind.
=> don't get camels = fall behind. Thereby the relevance for that camels are hard to obtain.
So by making buildings better near the end (inspired by the boats in Le Havre) those who builds later won't fall behind that much.

But if you don't agree that one generally falls behind without buildings, then my idea is pretty much pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.