René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week we played the #1 scenario of CCE.

After the game we wondered how the Germans can ever win this game if you take Exit VP's in consideration?

As the Russian player you can run your left hand side squads off the enemy board edge in more or less 3 turns (or maybe a bit more). As far as I can tell there is no way that the German player can prevent this from happening (on either side of the board) since he simply does not has enough squads to stop the Russians on both sides.

Therefore I am amazed to see people in this scenario fight over objectives, since even given the highest rated objectives on the board the Russian player can still win by "simply" crossing the board and exiting.

Are we doing things wrong or is the order of battle for the Germans with only 4 squads misprinted in the battlebook ?

Hope to hear from you.
René

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one german squad and a leader in the woods close to the german right side can fire a lot of opportunity fire as the russians try to cross that open ground to get out.

While I agree with you that fighting for objectives may mot be the most clever things thar ussians can do, getting out is not so easy either.

Also note that you need three move cards, not just three turns to get out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have to take the Hidden and Open objectives into play. A single hidden objective could give the Germans 10 VP just for holding the a single location. Also, once you start running your Russians off the edge of the board, there is nothing to stop the Germans from doing the same and they could still retain control of victory locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordCthulhu wrote:
You also have to take the Hidden and Open objectives into play. A single hidden objective could give the Germans 10 VP just for holding the a single location. Also, once you start running your Russians off the edge of the board, there is nothing to stop the Germans from doing the same and they could still retain control of victory locations.

The 10 point objective is not hidden, so that could not happen. Also, note that russien units exiting would cayse others to appear at their own board egdg, so the german has to somehow stop the russians. But they can do that, I think, at least they can hampet the russians so much that the germans can win on points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. I forgot that those were open objectives.

So, there are ways for the Germans to win, but it will take some clever play by the Axis side to do it. And, of course, it is your game, so if you think it doesn't quite work the way you want it to, you can always tweak it to your tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevdAssem wrote:
As far as I can tell there is no way that the German player can prevent this from happening (on either side of the board) since he simply does not has enough squads to stop the Russians on both sides.

How many squads do you think you need? Typical German deployment is Cpl. Winkler and one squad on his right flank (the Russian left). That is enough to make exiting along the road very difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
In our playings, it took the Russians 4 or 5 games to finally win that scenario. The cards allow, through available orders and events, so many possibilities that the scenario is precariously balanced, but balanced (at least from my experience and from the AARs I've read).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My very first game, I played as the Germans against a much more experienced player - and won. As is the case with Combat Commander in any game - anything is possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevdAssem wrote:

As far as I can tell there is no way that the German player can prevent this from happening (on either side of the board) since he simply does not has enough squads to stop the Russians on both sides.

Nope, i've played this umpteen times and I would say the balance is fair. The objectives still count and have to be taken, a successful Russian sprint down the road is usually followed by a couple of German units exiting along the same (now undefended) road.

Whilst the Russians have numbers and 'bigger' Mg's the Germans have the better quality. The small unit count means that a bad combat result for one side can have disproportionate effects on the result, but in the long run a fairly balanced scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OKy Guys,

Thanks for the answers.
Since we were having some trouble figuring out Opp Fire me thiks that this more or less solves the puzzled looked we had on this exit VP subject.

I had not taken into account that one squad plus one of the leaders is more or less enough to shoot at every hex the Russian is entering into (provided you have enough fire action cards that is)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevdAssem wrote:
OKy Guys,

I had not taken into account that one squad plus one of the leaders is more or less enough to shoot at every hex the Russian is entering into (provided you have enough fire action cards that is)

Rene,

I think you still do not understand it.

When you activate a leader and/or squad(s) to Op Fire, that one Fire Action allows them to take one shot at EVERY hex the enemy moves into (in Line of Sight and range, etc). in other words, the Fire card you play for Op Fire activates your units to fire for the ENTIRE enemy Move Order. Now, if he stopped moving and activated other units to move with another Move Order, you would have to have another Fire Card. Does that make sense?

So, if you have one fire card, and the Russians activate their squads to move, you can shoot at every hex they move into. Moving down that open road, the probability that they will be broken and stopped in the first or second hex is very high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
RenevdAssem wrote:

If the Russian is moving as a group as a result of a single move order, the German is then using OpFire and need only one fire action card to shoot at every hex the Russian enters that is in range and LOS of squad (and/or leader).

I only mention this as your statement makes it sound that you might be playing a fire action card for each OpFire shot. I apologize if I am mistaken in my understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi guys I can see that i have giventhe impression about using a card to activate every time I know that this is not true.

I know that when activated I can use the activated unit(s) to fire in every hex. Also I can see a sound card strategy for the Russian player to draw out German fire action cards whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
RenevdAssem wrote:
Also I can see a sound card strategy for the Russian player to draw out German fire action cards whistle

Germans have 18 Fire cards
Russians only have 13 Move cards.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, Richard!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 1 is a very balanced scenario. I've played it at least 10 times and both sides have won this scenario. The limiting factor for the Russians is the range of their weapons. The limiting factor for the Germans is the low number of units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.