Starting Spell:
Control Bats

Victory requirements:
1 point in Great Treasure for 1 GT
2 points in Fame for 20 Fame
2 points in Notoriety for 40 Notoriety
plus 16 gold for starting gold and equipment

Strategy:
Snipe at the Rogue Headquarter to get a horse and some loot. Sell loot to hire natives and hit for treasure sites.

Adventure:
I took the rogues completely unawares, hidden in the dark. First I took a snipe shot at the archer because only he could prevent me from fleeing if necessary. He died before he knew what was happening. Next round my bow was turned to the Headquarters. An arrow found a weak spot and he toppled leaving all his possessions for grabs.

The next two days I robbed the rogues at the Inn of four of their horses. I finally got caught in the act after which I fled down the road towards the ruins. Being afraid of the dark and preferring to avoid the cave, I took my time searching for a hidden path. It was a lengthy search of about three days but I was rewarded with the Cairns treasure site right at the other end of the passage. Time to loot! The first week ended with me searching desperately for the location of the cairns.

Finally I found it! I managed to stuff away the Power Boots and Power Gauntlets before goblins surrounded entered the area. Fortunately I was hidden from their sight, but for how long... Next day they found me out with a tremendous spider on it's way. I had to run for it.

I neared the deep woods, my favorite place to be. Everything just seems to go easier in the woods. It appeared to host the lost castle including the Pool and the Lair, just wonderful! Unfortunately two heavy flying dragons heard my shouts of glee and settled down in the clearing. I quickly shut my mouth and stayed hidden, trying some snipe shots at them. No kills.

The day after I ran of beneath the dragons noses towards the lair. During the search for it a tremendous dargon showed up accompanied by a giant. Some giant bats were on their way. I took my chances looting the lair, ready to run from danger. I found the Imperial Tabard, the Crypt of the Knight, the Shield Lantern and some potions before the monsters found me out. Time to run to the Guard I passed to sell some stuff. End of week two.

I gained some fame by selling the guard the Tabard and some horses, using the money right away to hire them. The Guard were perfect for killing some of the beasties in the deep woods while I took some of them out hidden in the trees. First night in the forest it was party-time, two heavy flying dragons were killed together with three giant bats, without any scratches! Second night the Octopus and the Giant were butchered, clearing the Pool for some treasure grabbing. It took me another day, three giant bats and two heavy flying dragons to locate the Pool. Finally I snatched the Magic Wand, the great treasure I needed for victory!

The last days of the month were spend lazily trying to find the last treasures of the Pool and Lair. I panicked at finding the remains of the Thief, cursing me with Ashes. The wrong curse could have blown the game as the Chapel was way to far off. The Guards helped me looting the Crypt of the Knight. A tremendous dragon flying in proved to be a match for my guards. One fell before he was killed. A small defeat compared to a great victory of 3 great treasures, 71 fame and 115 notoriety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wietmarschen wrote:

I took the rogues completely unawares, hidden in the dark. First I took a snipe shot at the archer because only he could prevent me from fleeing if necessary. He died before he knew what was happening. Next round my bow was turned to the Headquarters. An arrow found a weak spot and he toppled leaving all his possessions for grabs.

This is not a strategy to be recommended when playing with Watchful Natives. An Ambush attack happens in the Melee Step when the WG selects a target. This is after she has a chance to run away in the Encounter Step. If the WG misses her Ambush die roll the following two things happen in this order:

1. The WG becomes unhidden
2. All of the Rogues in the clearing go onto the WG's sheet, attacking her in the current round.

There is no chance to run away, so killing the Archer first doesn't help with Watchful Natives. With 7 or 8 Rogues on her sheet, the WG is going to end up with at least one Rogue intercepting her maneuver, and for a Light-vulnerability character, any hit is curtains. Every Ambush die roll is a 30% chance of dying. If you decide to take a chance, you should target the RHQ first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herman van Wietmarschen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't know that. Thanks for the advise! I will have to come up with a new strategy then.
There is so much to learn about Magic Realm, it is really amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Woods Girl or Elf with Ambush used to seem cheesy to me...until I learned about Watchful Natives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreamteam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One way to improve the Woods Girl's chances of survival in this opening scenario is to hire 1 or 2 of the rogues first. Basic hiring cost = 1 for Rogue7 and Rogue6. After a couple of tries, she should be able to get them each at price x4.

So now she Hides and uses her Rogue lackeys to lure the rest of the band. All the Rogues attack the two hirelings, leaving the Woods Girl to calmly alert her bow and pick a target without any danger this round even if she should come unhidden. She aims at Rogue4 and he is a gonner 100% for sure. One of her hirelings targets the RogueHQ and will undercut if the HQ doesn't flip. The other hireling targets Rogue5.

There is still plenty that can go wrong. Both of her hirelings are almost certainly going to die. But the Woods Girl as dramatically increased her own chances of survival. Even in the case that the attack fails, the chances are good that she can run away successfully next turn (either the Rogue HQ or Rogue5 would have to survive the attack and flip, she would have to become unhidden, etc...). And if by some miracle one of her hirelings makes it to round 2 and she remains hidden... well... the rogue band will still be on her hirelings sheet which gives her all sorts of options.

This attack still has its risks, but the possibility that Woods Girls has access to horses early in the game (solves her armor problem, allows her to loot M and H treasures, and gives her a movement bonus to boot) makes it worth it IMO. She will also have a bit more potential cash for when she meets up with the Woodsfolk or Lancers. If she dies, you can pick the captain character and loot her light bow at the Inn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.