Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no experience with any of Martin Wallace's railroad games so please excuse me if this is a foolish question...

I'm thinking of picking up Steam. If I do, will this expansion be compatible with it, or will it only work with Age of Steam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion was designed for use with Age of Steam. I haven't had much interest in playing Steam, and certainly have not played enough of it to do design work within its system. I suggest only picking this expansion up if you have a copy of Age of Steam or plan to get one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
That said, I'll bet it won't be long before someone posts some conversion rules for this (and any other AoS add-ons that haven't been created with Steam in mind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
bump

anyone tried this yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Galarneau
Canada
Trois-Rivieres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know it's an old thread, but I would be interested in knowing if there's some mod to play it with Steam... or if it playable out of the box with Steam... even if it wasn't design for it in the first place.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There still does not seem to be conversion rules posted in the Files section? Anybody worked out the details on how to use this with Steamyet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomGraham wrote:
That said, I'll bet it won't be long before someone posts some conversion rules for this (and any other AoS add-ons that haven't been created with Steam in mind).

Well, no, because any of the many AoS expansions which rely on subtle tweaks to cube production are going to be strictly broken by an attempt to use Steam rules. At best, people will end up duplicating all the AoS production rules and charts, in which case you're really not using Steam anymore.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
RandomGraham wrote:

Well, no, because any of the many AoS expansions which rely on subtle tweaks to cube production are going to be strictly broken by an attempt to use Steam rules. At best, people will end up duplicating all the AoS production rules and charts, in which case you're really not using Steam anymore.

B>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this expansion's cube production hardly seems a "subtle tweak." Isn't it more of a complete overhaul? The production phase is gone, and you draw three cubes and place one for the production action. What's so hard about doing that in Steam?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cigal wrote:
I know it's an old thread, but I would be interested in knowing if there's some mod to play it with Steam... or if it playable out of the box with Steam... even if it wasn't design for it in the first place.

Thanks

Apparently, it works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MULRAH wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
RandomGraham wrote:

B>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this expansion's cube production hardly seems a "subtle tweak." Isn't it more of a complete overhaul? The production phase is gone, and you draw three cubes and place one for the production action. What's so hard about doing that in Steam?

Either you stop playing Steam, or you end up inventing whole new rules. On the other hand, Steam players seem to have a really low threshold for 'works' which is pretty much 'hexes are the right size and no unfamiliar words are left in the rules'.

Certainly, there has never been any mention by Steam players of the huge differences arising out of the infinite-loans, for example.

B>

ps. Please pay more attention to what I'm actually quoting when replying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

I am not sure what you are suggesting here. Are you saying that you were responding only to RandomGraham's parenthetical aside rather than his main statement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MULRAH wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

I am not sure what you are suggesting here. Are you saying that you were responding only to RandomGraham's parenthetical aside rather than his main statement?

"many AoS expansions"

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
MULRAH wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

"many AoS expansions"

B>

Yes, that's you quoting yourself. As far as I'm concerned, this thread is about a specific expansion. The comment you quoted was about a specific expansion, and I stand by my response in regards to that specific expansion. If you want to talk about "many AoS expansions" other than this one, let's do so in another thread. Based on everything I've read, this expansion is perfectly compatible with Steam, especially because of its "subtle tweaks" to the production system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MULRAH wrote:
Based on everything I've read, this expansion is perfectly compatible with Steam, especially because of its "subtle tweaks" to the production system.

This expansion doesn't have subtle tweaks to the production system, it completely replaces it!

As I've said, the hexes are the right size, and that's what Steam folks seem to want.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it would help if I also quoted myself:

MULRAH wrote:

So we agree the production system is entirely different. I see this departure from Age of Steam as enabling the expansion to be more easily adapted to Steam. In fact, I'd say dropping this expansion's production system into Steam seems about as much of a departure from Steam as it is from Age of Steam. I don't really see the issue here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MULRAH wrote:
this expansion's cube production hardly seems a "subtle tweak."

MULRAH wrote:
this expansion is perfectly compatible with Steam, especially because of its "subtle tweaks"

I agree with MULRAH.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadly, it's really hard to get a similar experience from AoS to Steam because Steam has little or none of the shortages that AoS has. On a more specific level, maps which tweak production are simply untranslatable even in crude terms, fairly obviously.

Even if you get a map "working" in steam because the hexes fit, you're unlikely to get the map experience as the designer developed and intended it. For this you're better off playing AoS, but I do believe that Steam folks aren't interested in that experience, and mostly want a different-shaped map to play regular Steam on.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
MULRAH wrote:
this expansion's cube production hardly seems a "subtle tweak."

MULRAH wrote:
this expansion is perfectly compatible with Steam, especially because of its "subtle tweaks"

I agree with MULRAH.

B>

Well, since you are ignoring my sarcasm, I'll just ignore yours and consider the matter settled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Either you stop playing Steam, or you end up inventing whole new rules. On the other hand, Steam players seem to have a really low threshold for 'works' which is pretty much 'hexes are the right size and no unfamiliar words are left in the rules'.

Wrong; a gross generalisation in fact. You should know better.

thepackrat wrote:
Certainly, there has never been any mention by Steam players of the huge differences arising out of the infinite-loans, for example.

B>

Oh dear, you haven't played much Steam, have you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lot after the various initial plays to try it out, no. I, and everyone around me, found it bland and unappealing next to AoS. I'm keeping a copy around in case I want a small-footprint railway game for casual players or kids.

Steam cuts away some of the parts of AoS that I find most interesting and doesn't offer anything in return.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Broadly, it's really hard to get a similar experience from AoS to Steam because Steam has little or none of the shortages that AoS has. On a more specific level, maps which tweak production are simply untranslatable even in crude terms, fairly obviously.

Yet we both agree this expansion does more than "tweak" production, so I do not see how this commentary is relevant to this particular expansion.

thepackrat wrote:
I do believe that Steam folks aren't interested in that experience, and mostly want a different-shaped map to play regular Steam on.

All the more reason for Steam players to find something worthwhile in this expansion, albeit clearly without the intellectual rigor required to grapple with income reduction and finite loans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MULRAH wrote:
All the more reason for Steam players to find something worthwhile in this expansion...

They could just ignore it as unsuited for their game. Or they could use it as a justification for buying and playing Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MULRAH wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

Yet we both agree this expansion does more than "tweak" production, so I do not see how this commentary is relevant to this particular expansion.

Because this map was balanced under the conditions of Age of Steam, not Steam. As I've stated, Steam is a very different feeling game so it is highly unlikely than the designer's object will be realised by playing this map under its rules.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.