Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

18EU» Forums » General

Subject: Stupid question(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, some of the companies must sell for under 100. Many of the companies are worth significantly less than 100.

A normal round of auction might go:

Player A: Put the 12 up, decline to start an auction
Player B: Bid 100
Player C: 105
Player A: 110
etc. until auctioned for 130 or so.

If a traditional auction is started, the bids increase until all but one player passes

Player B: I put the 10 up, decline to start
Player C: Decline
Player A: Decline
** at this point, it converts to a Dutch auction
Player B: Pass at 90
Player C: Pass at 90
Player A: Pass at 90
Player B: Pass at 80
etc. until purchased for 50 or so.

Once it converts to a Dutch auction, when it gets to your turn you can simply purchase at the current cost.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Yes it is. Though I'd like to emphasize a point Chris made. In the example above the auctioneer put the '12' minor up for bid then passed. The other players bid on it, then the auctioneer bid on it. That first 'pass' doesn't matter in a normal auction, it means the dealer wants a decreasing auction, nothing more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
Yes it is. Though I'd like to emphasize a point Chris made. In the example above the auctioneer put the '12' minor up for bid then passed. The other players bid on it, then the auctioneer bid on it. That first 'pass' doesn't matter in a normal auction, it means the dealer wants a decreasing auction, nothing more.


The few times I've played, we usually say 'no bid' or 'open the 12 with no bid' rather than pass.

-Ron
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
RaDiKal wrote:
BFoy wrote:
Yes it is. Though I'd like to emphasize a point Chris made. In the example above the auctioneer put the '12' minor up for bid then passed. The other players bid on it, then the auctioneer bid on it. That first 'pass' doesn't matter in a normal auction, it means the dealer wants a decreasing auction, nothing more.


The few times I've played, we usually say 'no bid' or 'open the 12 with no bid' rather than pass.

-Ron


Thats a good way of doing it. Rarely does the auctioneer put a minor up for bid and immediately bid on it. It does happen near the end of bidding. If I have $105 left, I might put the most valuable minor up for bid and immediately bid $105.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or start at an amount equal to another player's total cash available (mean but legal)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
Rarely does the auctioneer put a minor up for bid and immediately bid on it.


Right. If you're willing to pay 100, why not wait and see if it comes back around to you at 90?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
If you're willing to pay 100, why not wait and see if it comes back around to you at 90?


If you have exactly $100 and it's a good railroad, you might bid $100 so any opponent must pay at least $105.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.