Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a fellowship of characters of my opponent has reached a site and I have a hazard card on my hand that makes the place more dangerous, when do I have to play this card?
Do I have to play it before my opponent chooses to enter the site, so he can consider if he still wants to enter the location this turn, even if it has gotten more dangerous or can I play the card right after he said he wants to enter the place and surprise him with the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: Timing of hazard cards affecting a location
You play all the hazards during his Movement Phase (and he choose to enter or not only in the Site Phase).
However, you may place one hazard per site "on guard" (face down, may be a bluff) and reveal it only if he opts to enter in the Site Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state, you can´t play a card that doesn´t affect the current situation just to get rid of it.
So how could you be bluffing, when I´m only allowed to play cards that affect the site (because everything else would have no effect there)?
Could you give some examples of bluffing cards, that you would be allowed to place "on guard" at a site, but would not make the site more dangerous for the player if he would still choose to enter this turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: Timing of hazard cards affecting a location
You may want to re-read the rules about "on guard" cards.
Cards "on guard" are not "played" (yet). You may even put a resource "on guard" (just to bluff).
IF you have put a card "on guard" AND the opponent enters the site AND the card is playable at that site... THEN you may reveal and play that card. In any other case (a bluff, or he does not enter) you take the card back in hand. That negates any use of "on guard" just to cycle your cards (since you'll now have one extra card and at the end of turn you'll thus have to discard just one; if you hadn't play a bluff "on guard", you would have had the exact hand size in hand and thus would have been allowed to discard a card of your choice to replace it at the end of the turn).
By the way, even if your hazard "on guard" IS playable, you are not forced to reveal and play it (if the opponent enters the site).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
However, you may place one hazard per site "on guard" (face down, may be a bluff) and reveal it only if he opts to enter in the Site Phase.

Slight mod, you can play 1 on-guard per mov/haz phase. If say 3 different companies all meet up at the same site, you can slap an on-guard for each company, then they join up in the site phase and would face all 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

Slight mod, you can play 1 on-guard per mov/haz phase. If say 3 different companies all meet up at the same site, you can slap an on-guard for each company, then they join up in the site phase and would face all 3.

I see. I remembered that the limit was "one on-guard per site", but I haven't been playing for years.
In our games it was quite rare to have different companies moving to the same site, so in 99% of the cases there was no difference between "max one per hazard phase" and "max one per site".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I second that.

You should however keep in mind, that you may only place creatures "on-guard" at sites, which contain at least one automatic attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Containerguy wrote:
You should however keep in mind, that you may only place creatures "on-guard" at sites, which contain at least one automatic attack.

Well, you can play creatures on-guard at any site, but can only reveal if there is an AA at the site. Of course, the pro-move if you can play 2+ on-guard, put a card that creates an AA and then a creature on-guard devil . At least I think that works. Too lazy to check for 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Well, you can play creatures on-guard at any site, but can only reveal if there is an AA at the site. Of course, the pro-move if you can play 2+ on-guard, put a card that creates an AA and then a creature on-guard . At least I think that works. Too lazy to check for 100%.

Yes, that works. "Fear! Fire! Foes!" or "Whole Villages Roused" are such cards, which create a nice auto attack at Free-hold and border-holds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.