Popular Tags: fun [+] [View All]
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been watching Roger Moore's "The Saint" with my SO. I recommend it purely for the main character, if you can forgive the ridiculous plots / locations. The constant innuendo is cracking us up. See if you can match these (delivered by rogue-ish Roger Moore in a tailored suit):

1.) "I like a woman who's old enough to have had a little experience... and young enough to want a little more." (We almost fell off the couch, and had to reverse the scene and watch it again).

2.) The police question an actress about The Saint's whereabouts: "Was he with you all evening, madam?"

Actress: "Men typically are with me all evening, inspector."

3.) Dialogue with Julie Christie during her 1963 guest star episode (which was a pleasant surprise for us - love Julie Christie)

JC (just entering her hotel room with The Saint): Have you been enjoying our little date?
Saint: Ah yes, I've been enjoying every minute... (incorrigible eye contact)... and I'm about to enjoy it even more.
JC (slightly raised eyebrow): Oh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
June: "Ward, you were a little hard on the Beaver last night..."

(sorry - I guess this is 1950's TV innuendo. Thread Fail.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack, if you liked those, I recommend you check out Roger Moore's appearance in the James Bonds films... or, in fact, absolutely anything he's done anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
He also had an interesting guest spot on Alias as a secret agent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a lot of that in "The Avengers" with Diana Rigg and Patrick Macnee. Well actually it wasn't so much innuendo as surrealism. Rigg pushes on a bicycle pump aimed at a kneeling man with a huge nose, who opens his arms and exclaims "Leap Into My Fervid Arms!" (Thereby identifying a perfume.) Or Macnee is undercover as a butler and recites the company motto in sync with the other butlers: "Better Brighter More Beautiful Butling."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild Wild West is out of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about "Gilligan's Island" and "Marianne's SWEET, Creamy, Dreamy Coconut PIE!" blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Jack, if you liked those, I recommend you check out Roger Moore's appearance in the James Bonds films... or, in fact, absolutely anything he's done anywhere.

Seen 'em all, but it's been a few years. I bet I'd find more to enjoy there after watching The Saint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that The Saint starts off with a stagger but once it figures out its voice I think it is a fine show. I love how every hotel bar looks the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
I think that The Saint starts off with a stagger but once it figures out its voice I think it is a fine show. I love how every hotel bar looks the same.

The first two episodes are so desperate and low-budget, it has to be seen to be believed. Then suddenly there are highs and lows for the rest of the first season. Lots of experimenting. In one episode he's tricking a New York mob boss into blowing himself up. In another, he's on a 100-mile nature hike in a Marxist rendition of The Taming of the Shrew.

We've noticed the quality varies by location. All the stuff they do in France and England is pretty good. America, meh. Mexico or Italy: terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Macewan
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

We've noticed the quality varies by location. All the stuff they do in France and England is pretty good. America, meh. Mexico or Italy: terrible.

Which is odd, because they are all filmed almost entirely at the same place - the Elstree Studios. This gave them access to loads of existing sets from previous films, which they could mess about with. There was very little actual location filming away from that area, and much of that which did, didn't actually feature Roger Moore. Keep an eye open for a genuine opening shot on location where you see The Saint (a look-alike) from behind in long shot, which then switches to a close up of Roger Moore in a set based location - once you know about it, it's funny to spot. They also use a fair bit of stock footage from other ITC productions - there is one bit of a white car that goes over a cliff that has been used in at least three series I've seen.

I've been watching some re-runs over here recently (on ITV4 - but I'm stuffed now as I lost it on the 30 Sep channel reorder), and IMO it's managed to keep it's charm. The character of the Saint is great, and somewhat surprising for a TV series of that era. Whilst he is clearly the hero, often he seems more motivated by a chance to rip off a big chunk of money from someone, than by doing 'the right thing'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066701/

You are familiar, no doubt, with The Persuaders. Pretty much a parody, it was made as a vehicle just to get Roger Moore and Tony Curtis on the same show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cal Mac wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

Which is odd, because they are all filmed almost entirely at the same place - the Elstree Studios.

Not that odd, really. The farther the series gets from its natural home, the more the characters seem like hopelessly weak caricatures and the more the plots tend toward face-palm inducing sillyness. In other words, it goes from being good fun to just being dumb.

But Roger Moore soldiers on, no matter the setting, which is why I'm always happy to watch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.