Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Four of us were playing Italy. Alan and I were tops on plant capacity, but Jarrett was gobbling up all the garbage plants with no competition. Bill was playing a mixed strategy.

We're in step 2 and it's time for building. Alan and I are in first and second place, Jarrett in third, Bill last. Bill builds a few cities. Jarrett, using his vast cash reserves, builds every remaining "15" spot and ends up with 18 cities. Alan and I both have cash to spend and plants to power cities, but no locations to build at. Thus, the game ends immediately. Jarrett ends up winning (which was actually not his plan --- he thought he was trying to end up not last).

So, have you had a game end like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes many times.

It is pretty easy for a player to surge early, build to the required number and end the game. It is much harder for him or her to also have the power plants to back it up.

The winner is the player who can power the most not who has built the most so it is important that you watch what everyone's total capacity is and stay competitive. If you let a player get ahead on power plant capacity and have the money to over build you gave the game to him or her.

The high capacity, middle game power plants should be auctioning for fairly high to prevent someone from being able to do this. 150% to 200% of face value is not unusual in the games I have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
No, I haven't had a game end like that.

However, with a quick look at the maths, I'm not sure why you would be surprised.

With four players, there would be 28 cities on the board, giving 56 building spaces during step 2. Jarrett built to 18, leaving no spaces at all, so 38 spaces were divided between the other three players. That means at least one of you had 13 cities connected when Jarrett built, and Jarrett had no more cities than either Alan or Mark before building. The other 38 spaces were all taken up by Alan, Mark or Bill just before Jarrett's build. Unless Bill was way, way behind, the worse of Alan and Mark can't have had more than 13 cities connected. So, Jarrett also had no more than 13 cities connected before he built.

It looks to me that he was most likely able to build at least 5 new connections in that turn, which means he was sitting on 75 elektros before he even starts paying for the pipes.

That means the rest of you have allowed him to accumulate a vast sum of money without taking steps to counter that income. If you didn't notice that sheer quantity of money accumulating... well, I guess you need to start paying more attention to what others are doing. Sure, money is hidden, but that sort of difference is noticeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that in this situation, he was not the only player to have a bundle of money.
It would seem that other players with similar bundles of money were anticipating an opportunity to spend, but missed the window.
All they were left with was a bundle of cash.

I haven't had this ending happen to me, but I have seen games where players were richer than normal.
It's a bit rare that player 1 has the higher plant capacity, *and* the cash to close the game off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
bluebehir wrote:
I believe that in this situation, he was not the only player to have a bundle of money.

In which case, the sudden ending should have been even less of a surprise. The remaining two players should have been left thinking, "Darn, I was going to do that."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
It would seem that other players with similar bundles of money were anticipating an opportunity to spend, but missed the window.
All they were left with was a bundle of cash.

Yep, that was pretty much it. Both Alan and I had a good amount of money. The serious issue (looking back) was letting Jarrett have the monopoly on garbage --- none of us challenged him on auctions, especially since oil and coal were still fairly cheap. That allowed him to save up the mound of cash.

That being said, I'm used to quick endings in Power Grid, but I had never seen a game end due to lack of building space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.