Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Conyers
United States
North Bend
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What a game, it plays easy but has that deep level of strategy hidden beneath it. The game has a nice feeling of theme, and it helps to understand how crazy the period was. The McClellan movie Richard III is on my re-watch list now. I am a theme heavy gamer and when I get into a game I like reading about it and just getting into the spirit of it. So, I'm interested in knowing the proper music that might go with this game.

Is there some classical 1400's music that would be listened to by the English folk during that time anyone could suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Music in the 1400's is definitely more medieval sounding than music of the Elizabethan era.

One CD I have is "Music from the Time of Richard III" by the York Waits: http://www.amazon.com/Music-Time-Richard-III-Waits/dp/B00000...

"Waits" were the equivalent of town bands. They sounded alarms during the night, but also did outdoor music and various official musical duties. The York Waits also have a number of later Elizabethan albums such as "Music from the Time of the Spanish Armada".

http://www.whitecottagewebsites.co.uk/york/cds.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything from the Middle ages I guess.
Myself, I'll cheat and grab some tunes from the english composers of the Renaissance. Tallis, Byrd, Tye, Dowland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Conyers
United States
North Bend
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for, can't get closer than the title "music of Richard III". The cover is priceless. I'm not going to go as far as those guys in trying to establish theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Conyers
United States
North Bend
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Per Rhapsody where I stream my music from it does say that "Tallis and Byrd were the first two composers of note in England" and that's the very early 1500's. The game is set very close to the period, although the music I'd imagine was made during the Tudors time. Well I guess the Tudor's won this thing in the end and there are Tudors involved in the Wars, so it makes my list. Nice violin work by Tallis on my initial listening of a Solfing Song. The religious stuff doesn't mix too well with my idea of the wars. But then again when you have the Church of York at war in the thick of it, there you go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stalingrd wrote:
What a game, it plays easy but has that deep level of strategy hidden beneath it. The game has a nice feeling of theme, and it helps to understand how crazy the period was. The McClellan movie Richard III is on my re-watch list now.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The Iam McKellen film is atrocious!! Do NOT watch that monstrosity! It is warmed-over, self-induldent crap. McKellen was as bad in that film as he was great as Gandalf in the WotR films.

Instead, go to the true source: Olivier. One scene from that movie will teach you more about film, directing, theater, acting and Shakespeare than ten lesser ones (and I do mean you, Pacino!) Trust me on this!

Just remember that Shakespeare's Richard III is totally ahistorical. The real Richard III was fars less dramatic and much less of a villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee a.k.a. "Loyal Lee"
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Music in the 1400's is definitely more medieval sounding than music of the Elizabethan era.

One CD I have is "Music from the Time of Richard III" by the York Waits: http://www.amazon.com/Music-Time-Richard-III-Waits/dp/B00000...

I haven't tried this yet (I have the CD), but that would be perfect! Great idea thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coomes
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For an interesting debunking of Shakespeare’s take on the villainy of Richard III I would recommend reading The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. It is a 1950s mystery novel where a laid up detective explores whether Richard was capable of killing the princes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
stalingrd wrote:
What a game, it plays easy but has that deep level of strategy hidden beneath it. The game has a nice feeling of theme, and it helps to understand how crazy the period was. The McClellan movie Richard III is on my re-watch list now.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The Iam McKellen film is atrocious!!

Ooh, haven't seen that one. The Ian McKellen one was good though. From the moment a drunk Robert Downey Junior stepped off the plane, I knew I was going to love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Conyers
United States
North Bend
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I take Shakespeare's RIII as one of his soap operas of the time, so I like the newer one just for the fun of it. That's just my take. I believe Downey gets killed early in a compromised position which was funny. Also Richard III charging the line in a jeep was priceless.

For a more realistic take I've been reading some books on RIII, although some stories about him could be suspect. Regardless, seems as if he was a pretty treacherous fellow. I'd imagine the Tudors played it up for all it was worth. Don't want to go back to that kind of guy do you? Perhaps Henry VIII brought back some memories though. I've never gotten into this era of English history, it's very interesting and I can see how Shakespeare naturally found story in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fionte
United States
Crossville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I wonder if a recording of William Walton's score from the Olivier film is available. While it would be anachronistic, musically, it would certainly contribute a dramatic feel to playing the game.

On a side note, it sounds as though Mr. Merchant was as appalled by McKellen's Richard III as I was by Baz Luhrman's Romeo & Juliet! yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in "authentic" Medieval music, then the aforementioned Tallis, Byrd, Dowland, et all, are technically more Renaissance than Medieval; at least, it's borderline. Music at that time was primarily controlled by the church and would have been something more akin to Gregorian Chant. However, if you want the sort of thing you might hear in a soundtrack to a movie about the Medieval era, I would strongly suggest the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams: "The Lark Ascendin," his "Symphony No. 5," or any of his choral works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.