Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mosher
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow adventurers! Are you ready for yet another campaign diary?

This time the info is coming from the OVERLORD, so be prepared to wallow in your filthy dungeons as I overpower your puny league of half-witted and weak heroes!

Obligatory threats aside, my group is playing our first campaign of Descent after a handful of vanilla runs. I have all the expansions and I'm very excited to try out my stuff over a longer-term journey. My co-gamers are my father in-law and brother in-law (got really lucky with that wife of mine, I'd say), and it should be said now that I prefaced this game with quite a bit of warnings:

Me: "I've been reading about this game for a long time on BGG and the FFG forums, citing numerous examples of how to win, as well as how not to win. I want to warn you now that while I do not plan to take it easy on you, I have read some very specific advice for how to kick butts very early as the overlord (SK and Snipers, Eldritch upgrade, wha-bam!) and will be purposefully NOT choosing that combo to ease the play for the sensitivity of the heroes. Hope you guys are cool with that..."

Them: "whimper...yeah, okay." robot

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

Overlord:

Demon Prince Avatar devil

Alric and Merric Farrow in play from the getgo, get ready to watch your cities burn!!angry

Our heroes are:

Nanok of the Blade with Leadership (overlord's balancing suggestion)
Kirga with Rapid Fire
Zyla with Lucky
Runewitch Astarra with Inner Fire

Pretty excited about the hero line up, with each hero representing a different number of conquest tokens (Zyla from Tomb of Ice only has 1...!!!!1!!1!11!) so I had some interesting in-dungeon choices to make, and could feel the strategic blood flowing. Also included in Tomb of Ice are the Feat cards, and I couldn't wait to see how those played. So after some tiring (one hour) discussion on strategy and who will play who, the game shall commence!

Week 1:

After gaining my first conquest token (it feels good to get first blood devil) I sent my crony lieutenants to Nerekhall, where they camped out and waited for the impending siege of that ill-fated city. The heroes (much less versed in the game's goals and mechanics and just in general)-- upon realizing that they couldn't travel north immediately to protect the city under siege, having had no opportunity to purchase the necessary boat-- decided to check out the not-so abandoned roadways at the Thelsvan Highway. After stocking up at Tamalir with Rejuvination Potions and plenty of armor and advanced (laugh) weaponry, they venture into the darkness, only to find their first dungeon experience will present them with a pretty tough challenge:

Level 1: The Throne Room

Skeletons, skeletons, skeletons. I'm already regretting my decision to help out the players pre-game by not taking Sorcerer King for his sniper upgrade. No matter! The Demon Prince will someday be a king, if his name means anything, and we all know demons are cooler than magicians. David Blaine, eat your heart out.

This dungeon features (apart from vast skeletal minions) a Giant who can burn 2 wounds into all heroes within his line of sight by discarding a power card, and a normal beastman who essentially has the acrobat skill and can move pretty fast. In the center of the room stands a large throne surrounded by treasures, and provides a nice little lookout point for skeletons to shoot from, as I found out quickly enough.

The heroes hammered their way through this dungeon with minimal casualties. That is, I had three kills, but they only amounted to 4 CTs!!!shake. That little flying twerp Zyla is so easy to kill, but she's almost not worth the trouble. Nanok was wiping the floor with pretty much every monster who came within his constant guard order reach, so it didn't take long for the heroes to sweep this dungeon and continue through the door to the next level. With all the discussion and preliminary explanation and set-up, this first level was all we had time for. Looking forward to another evening of slice and dice with the heroes tonight, so stay tuned for more exciting adventures with... umm... these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gorst
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
bmosher23 wrote:
Demon Prince Avatar devil

Alric and Merric Farrow in play from the getgo, get ready to watch your cities burn!!angry

From the FAQ,
Quote:
Q: Exactly what cards and upgrades can the overlord spend his initial 15 XP on? Can he purchase lieutenants?

A: Avatar upgrade cards only. No lieutenants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mosher
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fixed for round two. thanks for the welcome input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.