Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago is a treasure hunt game for 2 to 4 players with a modular board and attractive game components.

What you get:

1 attractive looking, variable game board with 3 pieces, to build up to 32 starting islands.
3 (very nice) stone statues
3 wooden palm trees
4 wooden huts
4 x 1 wooden player ATVs (All Terrain Vehicles)
4 x 15 player compas roses
4 x 22 site markers (LWBs)
21 cardboard amulets
39 treasure cards
52 clue cards
3 manuals in german, english & french
3 big overview cards in german, english & french

Besides the lovely components, I also like to emphasize the gerat box inlay. Good Work!

Rules:

I didn’t like the rules as much as I did the game components. The reader has to switch often between the manual and the setup / overview card in the beginning. Nothing complicated there, but could have been solved better from my point of view. Though the rules are very easy and nobody will have to read them twice.

I won’t go into too much detail, as the rules can be downloaded here on BGG, but that much from my side:

- There are up to four treasure hunts simultaneously.
- A player may lay down a clue card to a treasure area to reduce the possible sites where a treasure could be hidden. At the other hand, a player may choose to move his ATV to either gain amulets or raise a treasure.
- Once a treasure has been found, the gold will be distributed between the involved tomb raiders. The longer a search did last, the more gold the players can try to bet on. But be aware of the cursed treasures! Without amulets one might even loose gold in the distribution phase!
- After each time a treasure is raised, three amulets are swept ashore in the viewing line of the three randomly placed stone statues and may be collected by the players.

When the treasure card deck runs out, the player with the most gold wins.

Gameplay:

Since Tikal one has been very suspicious about new treasure hunt games, haven’t we? Tobago though has not this huge downtime per player, as the possible moves a player can make is much more limited. Still it’s a tactical game, and even my first two games have been pretty close, so be prepared to watch people think about their next best move. But, as luck is also involved in the gold distributing phase, AP won’t be that much of a concern.

Conclusion:

Boy I like this game! I’ve played it twice against my wife, and It’s a such refreshing game between all the Dominion, RftG and other good two player stuff going on. I personally also do think this one could be a nice gateway game for all the people sick of teaching Ticket to Ride to new players!

So be aware of the curse, or you might get addicted to ;-)

Greetings from Switzerland and sorry my limited english,

Bernhard

Edit: Inserted my own image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your limited English didn't limit you at all. Good job!

What is your opinion on number of players, time, age range & game weight that would be good for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witt
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting game. Thank you for bringing this game to my attention

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
When can I hunt down an English copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
victoryzine wrote:
When can I hunt down an English copy?

The game is language independent... so all you would need are the rules in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
tada wrote:
What is your opinion on number of players, time, age range & game weight that would be good for this game?

I've only played it against my wife (2P is fine), and so the game is quite short. I guess it's playable in less than 45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
The game is language independent... so all you would need are the rules in English.

And like the german or french, the english rules are in the box also ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O Connor
Ireland
sligo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, im sold. Like the concept, the rules, look of the pieces and the game play time. This might be ideal for our game evenings. Strikes me as simple enough to be an introductory game to non-gamers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

It sure looks like a winner.

Just wondering if one player can play as a "two-player" game , is this possible or are there hidden clues that players distribute on the board ?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon, the only hidden information is each player's hand of clue cards, and their secret peek at their "share" of the treasure as it's being raised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.