Subject: No disadvantage for being flanked? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Pruden
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have watched the "tutorial" videos and have a concern about the rules. Do I understand correctly that the flanks of most units are coded red, thus subtracting 3 dice from ranged combat only? Shouldn't ancient warfare units organized into blocks (legions, phalanxes) be more vulnerable and less effective in close combat from the flank?

BGFW gets this right, and it adds to the right "feel" of that game. What am I missing about AL here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, it looks like you are correct. I missed that

http://beta.arcanelegions.com/downloads/arcane-legions-rules...

but, the rules are quite clear

Gray indicates a bad side for all combat purposes.
Red indicates a side that is good for rolling defense dice and attack
dice but bad for rolling ranged dice.
Blue indicates a side that is good for rolling defense dice, attack dice
and ranged dice.

Interesting.

I was initially quite excited about this game, but, the more I read...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacks from the rear are killer. Left and right flank - I'd say 75% have red sides there, if not more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Swart
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
backwinder wrote:
I have watched the "tutorial" videos and have a concern about the rules. Do I understand correctly that the flanks of most units are coded red, thus subtracting 3 dice from ranged combat only? Shouldn't ancient warfare units organized into blocks (legions, phalanxes) be more vulnerable and less effective in close combat from the flank?

BGFW gets this right, and it adds to the right "feel" of that game. What am I missing about AL here?

I assume they wanted to simplify the game. But your right in most cases a unit being flanked mean't defeat. Even more so if it's right flank was hit. (non-shielded side)

Also range combat in this game is overpowered, but again, this is a fantasy game with historical overtones. I really like AL, but I will be changing a few things for my gaming at home.

Making units fighting CC from their right recieve a -2 dice, and from the left a -1 die. Also changing the range penalities from -1 to -2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe it will be posible to construct units with grey flanks from the tool on the website (once it finally gets uploaded...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
maybe it will be possible to construct units with grey flanks from the tool on the website (once it finally gets uploaded...)

Awesome idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think missile attacks to be overpowered. They are deadly as they should (finally) be - a thing that usually happens SO rarely in fantasy miniature games.
For what concerns flanking, it may be a problem, but in our games hitherto no one has even noticed this issue, occupied as they were with other things during the battle.
However, nohting that a good house rule cannot correct if you really need flank penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Hutcherson
United States
Montgomery Village
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a disadvantage to being flanked.

You throw 3 less defense dice if attacked from a gray side.

A unit being attacked on a bad side (gray) rolls three fewer defense dice, to a minimum of 0.

Most infantry have a Blue front (all ready melee, ranged, defense dice thrown), Red l/r Flank (all ready melee and defense dice) and Gray rear (-3 on defensive dice rolled).

I beleive the only reason the l/r Flank are not penalized is that the attacker is not going to be able to put its full weight into the attack (only half of his unit base will be in contact with the defender)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
most flanks from behind are gray and from the sides are red
and yes ... ranged seems a little overpowered to me at the moment!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.