9 Posts

Stronghold» Forums » General

Subject: Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello, what is your name?
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For those who've played the prototype, what are your impressions on the game? Also, what impressions do people who haven't played the game have after reading the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My impression is that it sounds good but I wouldn't want to play it with 4. From the latest preview article on BGN I gather that not all options are open at any one time, so I suppose that limits AP somewhat, but if 2 players have to coördinate their actions because they might block the other's plans, I believe the game could go on forever.

I do want to play it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, It's a two-player game that pretends that it accommodates 3 or 4. I'd really like to play it, but two-player games happen very infrequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond the possible limited player gameplay, with all the rules questions about Stronghold here on BGG, I wonder if there aren't a few holes in the game?

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:
Beyond the possible limited player gameplay, with all the rules questions about Stronghold here on BGG, I wonder if there aren't a few holes in the game?

Opinions?

The game noone has played yet? tricky.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be wary of jumping to conclusions. I think you REALLY need the components in front of you to puzzle it all out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are certainly some holes in the rules, some points which aren't explained clealy, or could be misunderstood... A FAQ or a new edition of rules will be needed. But in the game ? I don't think so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
3 and 4 player works well, trust me Here in Poland on conventions we present only 3 and 4 player version (so we do believe it is very good variant) and peolpe really like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I've had a bunch of questions about the rules for this game, I'm still pretty excited about it. It wasn't on my radar until about Design Diary #4, then I went back and read the ones I missed and have been excited to read every one since then.

Can't say I'm crazy about the price, but I plunked down $70 for Through the Ages last year and have been extremely happy with that purchase. Of course, that game had been out for awhile before I got it.

Still, after my several readings of the rules, here are my thoughts:

-Tightness: this game will be a close one in most cases I think. A "blowout" will be like a 4 point victory. At least that what it seems.

-Choices: you won't have the same options every game, but you'll always have things you need to do and probably not enough time/units/resources to do them all.

-Balance: the Invader has to get his guys to the wall, but he'll also need to find other ways of tipping the scale in his favor. Likewise, the Defender has to defend the walls and prepare well to do so. However, he has to be able to shift units around as needed since there are several sections of wall to defend, and multiple ways to hit them all. The first few turns may be okay for setting things up, but by turn 4 or 5, the Invader is going to have to get stuff going or else the balance may tip too much. Defender's units will die, so his difficult job is to make sure a) a breach won't occur and b) he's got units ready to fill in the ones that perish.

-Combat: pretty straightforward. A few things modify it, but it should be pretty deterministic. That could also be a bad thing, but I think in this game since the defender is pretty certainly going to have a breach at some point, it's more about minimizing losses than it is about winning every combat.

-Machine fire: I like how the miss cards are discarded. Makes sense. The more you shoot at something, the more likely you should be to hit it. So it's up to the Defender to use the machine damage action to get miss cards back in those piles.

-Graphics: I'm no artist, but I like the style of the games and the look of the components. Hopefully the material they are made of are just as impressive.

Dislikes

-Phase cards: While I like how there are 7 different machines, equipment, rituals, and training and only 3 of each that come into play each game, I don't like how if the Battering ram isn't in the game that the Barbican will just sit idle. And I would hope that a situation wouldn't come up where a Catapult wasn't in the game, but Blood Stone ritual was. Similarly, missing the Battering Ram or Siege Towers means the Defender has 2 less actions (Gate Reinforcement & Siege Tower Excursion) to worry about.

-No Limitations on Defender: I realize the game is pretty tough for the Defender already, but I think I was expecting the Defender to have more limitations. Instead, he's got every action available every turn. Each one only 1 time, but still, mostly he will just be reacting to what the Invader does rather than planning out stuff he would like to do. Such is the nature of a castle defense game though. And there will surely be situations where the Invader will do something and leave you with a few things you need to accomplish, but only time enough for one of them. So it's not like the Defender won't have tough decisions to make.

-Rules: I wouldn't complain about rules questions, because those occur with every game. However, some of the typos and wording seems like they could have been cleared up before publishing. This is a rather minor dislike though, as it won't prevent me from getting the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.