Thumb up
 Hide
157 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #213 - Jonathan Crummett (KSensei) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ukulele [+] [View All]
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a self-proclaimed GOTW, I now get to post a GOTW thread for a second time. Just think of the thumbs. (TWA eat your hearts out).

The new GOTW is somebody who I made friends with very early on this site and we have PMed and e-mailed each other pretty much every day since. He has a great sense of humour and a mass of enthusiasm which has gathered him a load of friends on here (not to mention well over 20,000 thumbsup ). And, of course, he is a chit-chat regular (but we can forgive him that).

He has been a nurse (don't deny it J, a nurse by any other name), a FLGS manager, a Resources Centurian and is currently a Programme Legionary. J, Monty, "you over there speaking all the Japanese", call him what you will. I know him simply as Johnahthahn.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the one, the only, Chit-chats own......

除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge

Applause....

KSensei wrote:
When asked where I am from I tend to tell people that I’m not from anywhere in particular. I was born in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, but I moved away from there before I could even remember anything about--or before I started to glow as others have joked. From there we ended up in Bozeman, Montana, but only stayed for a few years. Next we ended up on Summerville, South Carolina, where my sister was born. After that we were off to Butte, Montana (sometimes I like to throw Charleston, West Virginia in here, but we were only there for the Summer). This is pretty much why I claim not to be from anywhere. I actually did grow and go to school in Butte, America, as locals call it, but who really wants to be from Butte? Except on Saint Patrick’s Day. I like to joke that Butte was the reason I joined the Navy.

When growing up my gaming was pretty much limited to just RPGs. My friends and I played about every D&D setting that we could get our hands one--Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Al-Qadim, Spelljammer, Forgotten Realms…My walls in my bedroom were adorned with the underground city maps of Menzoberranzan. In the area of board games, it was pretty much Risk and other box store games.

I didn’t discover the wider world of board games until a few years ago--I’ll say about 5. I was driving down Front Street here in Missoula, Montana with my now wife, Ayumi. While stopped at a traffic light I looked to my left and saw a store called “World Games of Montana.” I instantly knew I had to go in. World Games had lots and lots of games open to try out. Ayumi and I would go in on occasions, usually after visiting the farmer’s market on Saturday mornings and sit down and have a quick game with each other. It seemed we would always play one of the games in the GIPF series, quite often GIPF itself.

My first purchase from the store was Betrayal at House on the Hill. I consider myself quite lucky for getting this game while it was available now. It was an instant hit with all my friends. I would invite them over as much as possible to play it since it offered so many scenarios. My coffee table wasn’t even big enough for the game, so the basement floor always had to go on a smaller, lower table that we would set up to the side. We enjoyed that game so much we even created characters based on ourselves--and gave each of us a “special power.”

My next purchase was Ticket to Ride (the one that the score track only goes up to 80) and it was all downhill from there. In the summer of 2006 I had to get another job to supplement my income, after I watched the entire World Cup in Germany, and managed to get hired at World Games. For that first year I worked with Smatt Read, who writes on the Gone Gaming blog with other BGGers like Gola, Tripp, and Koldfoot, to name a few. After that first year, he moved to Guinea with his partner Anne and I inherited the manager’s position at World Games of Montana.

Unfortunately the owner shut the store down at the end of 2008, but thanks to World Games of Montana I have hobby that I love for the rest of my life. Furthermore it has led me to this amazing community online here full of other people that share the same passion for board games.

And now for the customary 2 truths and 1 lie.

1. When working at the Naval Hospital in Bremerton, Washington I assisted in the deliver of a baby boy that had two thumbs on the same hand.
2. While performing a health inspection on the USS Patriot after she had returned from deployment I tried to back out of the ship’s Master Chief’s way and ended up falling overboard into the harbor.
3. I was responsible for the sudden violent, yet accidental removal of the lights and siren off the top of an ambulance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First!

Congratulations J. Just wait till I start posting questions. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Congratulations Jonathan! Enjoy your week in the spotlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray Monty.

Number 2, much like the Cake, is a lie.

Why do you hate seasons, but insist on living somewhere with so many extreme seasons? It's like hating fire, but living in a furnace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
Congratulations Jonathan. Enjoy the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bacon Woo hoo!! Another GotW ChitChatter! bacon

Now you truly deserve the Bag Of Awesomeness!!!

meeple Congratulations! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jonathan,

My wife wants to move to Montana. It's sobering that you are the ONLY person there on BGG. How do you manage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATS thumbsup

Question:

What is your most and least favorite game mechanic and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GRATZ! Jonathan so... '3' thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup from the "baby" on that eh? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Monty!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jonathan!

This should be a fun week.

Hmm. I'll go with #1 as the lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
STOP!

Woah, woah, woah!

You do realize dude's a Gunners fan right?

shake

Aw, I can't be mad at him, despite this glaring oversite in his tastes.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

My recent favorite question: What game that you have not played are you most looking forward to playing?

Cheers,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa, it's like a classic day in Geekchat! I feel like I haven't been on BGG in ages. Congratulations Jonathon! I'm pretty sure that the first time I ran into you I noticed your Samurai microbadge and thought, "I have to get that!"

I never noticed how much respect you have for Rudiger Dorn's games and I have to admit, you have good taste there.

I'm pretty sure that you've never taken an accidental dip in the drink, so that's the lie.

Questions:

Have you played with Dave's Minotaur? Of course I mean the game he designed.

This is a bit of a rhetorical question but, is there anything more awesome than this?

No.

I think I disappeared from BGG last year before you got married so, congratulations!

If you could have a visit from any gamer on BGG to your lonely corner of Montana who would you have come play you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JONATHAN!

JONATHAN!

JONATHAN!

Jonathan, congratulations! Chris, good job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hi J!

I made up this tribute avatar of you more than TWO YEARS AGO.
I knew you'd make GEEK OF THE WEEK, even then.
What the heck has taken you so long?

I'm good with these kinds of questions:

The rest of us merely had to understand and come to our senses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Congratulations, Jonathan.

I'd go with #3 as the lie because it's the most mundane option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going with number 2 as the lie.

Some questions that spring to mind apropos of nothing:

1. Where the heck are you? You were on my thread nearly as much as me and suddenly you have gone to ground. Shape up sailor. No I don't want to hear excuses about it being night time over there.

2. What game do you most look forward to playing with your children should Ayumi decide you will be having any?

3. If you could live in/at the setting of any board game, what game would it be?

4. If you could turn a board game into a movie, what game would you choose?

5. What is your favorite game on Yucata? What game would you really like to see added onto that site?

6. If a fellow BGGer visited Montana what US or Japanese dish that they might not be familiar with would you consider cooking for them? And what board game goes with said dish?

7. Do dogs in the US also carry guns? Does your Pug carry a gun? Why not? Is it some sort of communist?

8. So what is that small size FFG box called?

9. Have you ever put your thumb where it shouldn't go?

10. Have you and your wife ever thought about starting a ZZ Top tribute band? Do you think the Ukulele would fit?

11. If you had to get something board game related tattooed onto your body, what would it be and where?

12. If you could uninvent any board game, what game would it be?

You inspire me man. More questions to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

My daughter is farming, so I just had time to check in.

I'll have time later for questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SO, she's done...

I think #1 is a lie, you just dream of more thumbs.

So,

Where is my photoshop of the Through the Ages Card? (the joke is old now)

Would you ever Sell El Grande?

Do you play with yourself a lot?

How often to you go to Japan?

What's with ukuleles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
ii desu!

Congratulations Jonathan! Now the first thing to remember, when picking your successor, is to make sure you get another Chit-Chatter! Don't make the mistake that nikku did and just give it to someone deserving. This is our chance to completely take over this place!

Last night I made my weekly avatar switch. This was right after I read the beginnings of this post. I recalled that you play the ukelele. In your honor, this week's avatar is a pic of me playing my friend's cigar box uke. I seem to recall that you had only started playing it recently. Do you play any other instruments?

What prompted you to learn Japanese in the first place? Do you have many opportunities to use Japanese in Montana?

I'm going to say that number 1, 2 & 3 are the lies. You are a Chit-Chatter after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
boltongeordie wrote:
First!

Congratulations J. Just wait till I start posting questions. devil

Thanks a lot Chris. I feel very privileged to be chosen by such a great member of this community as yourself.

Do you worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
gwen wrote:
Congratulations Jonathan! Enjoy your week in the spotlight.

Thanks Gwen! I'd really like to get a game in with you and Philip again on BSW. I really miss that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scccooooorrrrrrreeeeeee!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Torpor wrote:
Congratulations Jonathan. Enjoy the week.

Thank you Philip! Same thing I said to Gwen. It's been a while since I've witnessed your piranha food impersonation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.