Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my doctor put me on an anti-candida diet, I have had the privilege of drinking a green smoothie from time to time.

Just throw raw spinach, kale, collard greens, basil leaves into a food processor with an avocado, cucumber, and a tiny amount of water.

Starts out looking like this:

And turns into this elixir

Isaac, don't you want one now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I've seen something that looks like that, it was "coming out" not "going in"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm weird, but I actually like the taste of kale. Spinach too. That smoothie looks pretty tasty.

So you have a bit of a yeast issue, Randy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an aversion to all green vegetables so this is going to give me nightmare. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that glass broken? Germs. Germs lurk there.

Yes, some people are glass-half-full people, and others are is-that-glass-broken? people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Well, just as "anxiety" is the go-to diagnosis for conventional doctors when they don't want to work a situation anymore, candida is the fallback for alternative practitioners. Difference is that SSRIs don't do much other than make you mellow while fighting yeast with diet (whether merited or not) also helps with a host of other illnesses.
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Is that glass broken? Germs. Germs lurk there.
No, that's the way the glass looks. It's about the least functional glass I've ever owned. Square. Indentation that is completely unnecessary, and won't come clean in a dishwasher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
wmshub wrote:
Well, just as "anxiety" is the go-to diagnosis for conventional doctors when they don't want to work a situation anymore, candida is the fallback for alternative practitioners. Difference is that SSRIs don't do much other than make you mellow while fighting yeast with diet (whether merited or not) also helps with a host of other illnesses.

I got my Ph.D. studying yeast, although not Candida. But others in my lab were studying Candida albicans, so I'm pretty familiar with its virulence factors. I don't see how this diet is meant to help fight yeast at all, but I agree that it would improve your health and therefore your ability to fight illnesses in general.

So... how's it taste?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Looks good. I love veggies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
wmshub wrote:

I got my Ph.D. studying yeast, although not Candida. But others in my lab were studying Candida albicans, so I'm pretty familiar with its virulence factors. I don't see how this diet is meant to help fight yeast at all, but I agree that it would improve your health and therefore your ability to fight illnesses in general.
This concoction isn't specifically for the yeast. It's for antioxidants and general good health. The anti-candida diet means no yeast, no wheat, no sugar (not even fructose), no vinegar, and a bunch of other stuff. Basically, if it's got yeast in it or will feed yeast, you can't eat it.
Quote:
So... how's it taste?
Pretty much like thick water. I think I'll add ginger and garlic next time around to give it some kick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
amwiles wrote:
So... how's it taste?

"You can really taste the kale!"

Believe it or not, you can't taste the kale. I am not one who likes kale (whenever my wife cooks it and I come into the house, I ask if I tracked in dog poop). And you'd think that raw kale would be even worse. But since there is only a little bit (a few stalks, minus the thick part) it doesn't really add any flavor at all--just fiber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
This concoction isn't specifically for the yeast. It's for antioxidants and general good health. The anti-candida diet means no yeast, no wheat, no sugar (not even fructose), no vinegar, and a bunch of other stuff. Basically, if it's got yeast in it or will feed yeast, you can't eat it.

Actually thinking about it, probably the best "anti-yeast" diet would contain all those pro-biotic bacteria that can be found in healthy yogurt, such as L. acidophilus, L. casei, and L. rhamnosus. What the bacteria would be doing is to compete for the niche that the yeast are currently living in, meaning fewer yeasties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Even I wouldn't try that!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a nice soup if it was heated. I don't like food cold but otherwise sounds sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

Actually thinking about it, probably the best "anti-yeast" diet would contain all those pro-biotic bacteria that can be found in healthy yogurt, such as L. acidophilus, L. casei, and L. rhamnosus. What the bacteria would be doing is to compete for the niche that the yeast are currently living in, meaning fewer yeasties.
Yep, raw plain yogurt is OK and I supplement with probiotics which are slam full of those good bacteria. But you don't want to kill off too many yeast too quickly, as all those dead organisms in the body cause a temporary "illness" (first documented over 100 years ago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.