1 , 2  Next »   | 

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Someone please help justify my purchase to myself. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't pay "an arm an a leg" for this but I certainly spent more than I have ever paid for a board game in my life. All I ask is words of encouragement for the fun I SHOULD be having within the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's your money that you earned and your family can eat then that's all the justification that you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can probably get much of that money back if you have to sell it. It's a good gamble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise man once say: he who no try, regrets. he who try maybe make mistake, but no regrets.

You'll be kicking yourself at Christmas when there's no more left and you gotta fork out double on e-bay. No more justification needed.

Alternatively, if you're not going to buy it, give the money to charity and give yourself a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
It can't be justified. Send it to me. You'll feel better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you hadn't purchased this game, a puppy would have died. Hopefully that helps you feel much better about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing says "I love you" like a new dice bag
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola has a retail price of $70, and we've played 80+ games with it. Less than $1 a game, $.50 a person.

Even Antiquity, with a $200 price tag, is cheaper than going out to the movies once a month for a year at $20 (and that's without snacks), and I'll have it to play as many times as I want, for as many years as I want.

Just fill in "Space Hulk" for Agricola or Antiquity; the concepts are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allos wrote:
I didn't pay "an arm an a leg" for this but I certainly spent more than I have ever paid for a board game in my life. All I ask is words of encouragement for the fun I SHOULD be having within the week.

I guess if you really have to justify the purchase to yourself then I'd go with the fact that you can always resell it if you don't like it.

I had been away from gaming for awhile and just happened to read one day that Space Hulk had been re-released - I had it ordered within 5 minutes of reading of the re-release. For me, it's that good of a game - I knew I had to have it.

There is plenty of variety in the game and you can try all kinds of scenarios. There are hundreds of missions available on the web created by fans.

Just throw on some Seventh Son or Somewhere in Time and kick some genestealer ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a fun game. And even at $100, the value for the components is excellent. If you're really worried it might not be your cup of tea, just make sure you do an extra careful job clipping out the figs so that you can resell the game if you decide you don't like it. I'd guess you'd have very little trouble reselling a lightly played copy for the original price, provided you were extra careful about not snapping any plastic. Some people might even consider that couple hours of work you did to be an added value over a brand-new copy. And you can play the first mission with just 5 Marines and about half of the Genestealers, so there's no need to clip and assemble every model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
So you need to clip and assemble the figures for a game that costs $100?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
So you need to clip and assemble the figures for a game that costs $100?

Yes, but you already knew that, didn't you? You probably also already knew that they're really detailed figs and that the only way you could safely ship them pre-assembled would be to include a specialized foam insert for even more $$$. And that would probably require an even larger, more expensive box to get everything packed in, which was hard enough with the figs still on the sprues in the original box.

Really, if you don't like Space Hulk, that's fine. The gameplay may or may not be worth the cost depending on your tastes. But the game is a better value for components at $100 than most other games are at $50, your clever comments notwithstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to know that GW doesn't just sell you a game, they sell you a hobby AND a lifestyle (as long as you can keep the money flowing)

Playing a mission out is the game; the clipping and painting is part of the hobby; talking about it here at BGG is part of the lifestyle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
And even at $100, the value for the components is excellent.

True, 3 boxes of Genestealers ~$75 and 2 boxes of Terminators ~$80 + ~$15 for a librarian

$170 for just the minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmchavis wrote:
True, 3 boxes of Genestealers ~$75 and 2 boxes of Terminators ~$80 + ~$15 for a librarian

$170 for just the minis

I don't consider that any justification at all, unless you're a Warhammer player looking for "cheap" figs. I'm comparing SH's components to those found in comparable board games from FFG and similar publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you did some research and know well ahead what the figures look like and potential problems and are fine with that then its a good buy. Just be aware that theres a 50/50 chance of something broken or missing that may need fixing or replacement. And since GW is very very good at replacing broken or missing components, its still a good buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Omega2064 wrote:
Assuming you did some research and know well ahead what the figures look like and potential problems and are fine with that then its a good buy. Just be aware that theres a 50/50 chance of something broken or missing that may need fixing or replacement. And since GW is very very good at replacing broken or missing components, its still a good buy.

Indeed !
Also, if your copy is one of the 50% fauty ones, maybe you will want to throw money away nearer Christmas time when GW release their new minis gulp

Regards.

Edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
tppytel wrote:
I don't consider that any justification at all, unless you're a Warhammer player looking for "cheap" figs. I'm comparing SH's components to those found in comparable board games from FFG and similar publishers.

There are no boardgame other then Space Hulk with the same quality of minis. So its rather difficult to compare value of components with something else. That aside so are the cost for Space Hulk on par with the comparable games from FFG. I find the cost of Space Hulk quite reasonable when the components are considered, so what is exactly the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Znail wrote:
tppytel wrote:

There are no boardgame other then Space Hulk with the same quality of minis. So its rather difficult to compare value of components with something else. That aside so are the cost for Space Hulk on par with the comparable games from FFG. I find the cost of Space Hulk quite reasonable when the components are considered, so what is exactly the problem?

I'd agree with that. You can't campair high-definition hard styrene produced domestically, to cheap, smaller scale low deffinition vinyl made in China.

The board sections may have the same origin as those in say, Descent, but are much higher a quality.

It all depends where you are in to world if you're comparing those prices though. Over here, Space Hulk is £60, Descent is £70-£80, Agricola is £50-£60 (without Animeeples), Dominion around £40. Space Hulk seems cheep by comparison.

Further, keep in mid that, in terms of real value of money, SH3 is the cheapest ever version of Space Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Slev, where on earth did you get yours fo £60 ?

Maybe the "cheaper" versions were the best of the lot !

The ones selling from between £90-150 seem to have the most trouble regarding the plastic minis, then ! My nephew wants £30 back and his friend should ask for £90 back and serves them right for being trusty teenagers

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My point is that if someone is questioning the component value of SH on BGG (which I'm not), then I presume they're asking in the context of board games. An argument by comparison to GW's pricing for their core games is irrelevant, as that's a completely different segment of the hobby with vastly different ideas about value. Most miniatures gamers would consider an army that cost several hundred dollars a bargain, whereas most board gamers would immediately start calculating just how many games they could have purchased for that price. Board gamers as a whole prefer to have a diversity of games and calculate value accordingly. FFG games and their ilk are the relevant comparison here, since they're an established part of the board game market. And, just in case I haven't been crystal clear so far, I think SH is a far better value for the dollar component-wise than any FFG title I've seen. As Slev stated, the minis are in a completely different league, the board pieces are beautifully varied and detailed, the rulebooks are attractive and well laid out, etc. But saying that SH is a deal because the same 30 plastic minis would cost you $170 in 40K doesn't convince a board gamer of anything except possibly that you're a madman for even considering paying that $170 in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmchavis wrote:
tppytel wrote:
And even at $100, the value for the components is excellent.

$170 for just the minis

While I do agree with the premise that $100 is a reasonable cost for the components of Space Hulk, this comment seems to me to be a little disingenuous.

The Terminators in the boxed set for instance are much more versatile than the ones in Space Hulk, both in poseability and in weapons layout so this price comparison doesn't seem to be very accurate. Likewise with the Genestealers - aren't the boxed set models set up so they can be posed as the player wishes (within limits, at any rate)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
While I do agree with the premise that $100 is a reasonable cost for the components of Space Hulk, this comment seems to me to be a little disingenuous.

Disingenuous? You don't think that for $70 extra dollars and no board game components it's not a fair comparison - that $70 better be buying something? I don't care how much extra versatility there is in that box of terminators, Space Hulk terminators have specific equipment - so that's what you'd use on the models, you're not going to equip them different than what's in the game.

$100 is cheap for Space Hulk, I've spent more on a bottle of scotch and I can tell you which is going to be around longer. Although Ardbeg tastes way better than genestealers.

The fact is that two months ago if you'd have wanted to put together a copy of Space Hulk you'd either have to buy a used copy of unknown condition or spend way more than $100 buying the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmchavis wrote:

Just throw on some Seventh Son or Somewhere in Time and kick some genestealer ass.

EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR. CASE CLOSED.

*Waits patiently for the mail to arrive*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

Indeed !
Also, if your copy is one of the 50% fauty ones, maybe you will want to throw money away nearer Christmas time when GW release their new minis :gulp:

Regards.

Edit: typo

25% in one thread, 50% in this one? Again, where can I find these facts? Or are you just throwing numbers around cause you´re pissed you had a broken one?

Quote:
Slev, where on earth did you get yours fo £60 ?

Probably the same place I did: the GW website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Allos wrote:
I didn't pay "an arm an a leg" for this but I certainly spent more than I have ever paid for a board game in my life.

The actual question is $100 is more than you spent for a boardgame and an expansion set, because that's what 3e is.

If you paid $80 for the base game and $50 for the expansion set, would that be better for you? (For some gamers with cash flow problems it actually would be!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.