Subject: My Favorite Intrigue Cards and Why rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Courtyard 2 (cost)
I was flabbergasted at the usefulness of this card! Many a time have I played a sole Smithy and yelled, "Crap! I drew my only Throne Room!"
Now with the Courtyard, you can quietly slip that Throne Room (or Market, or Festival, or Laboratory, or Swindler, or Torturer) on top of your deck again, no worries, and get an evil smile when you draw it next turn.
I believe that the Courtyard is better than the Smithy. And it's cheaper too.

Baron 4
The first few turns can look like this: "AAAARGH! I can't get any *#!% money!" Well then, the Baron is the man for you!
He's out there looking for little Estates (you know those useless, dinky, little things that are usually Chapeled, or Remodeled, or Masqueraded?), and he pays fat prices too: 4 coins! Now THAT'S a bargain!

Trading Post 5
Trash 2 cards and gain a Silver. Money with deck trimming. Hmmm... I like it! The Trading Post does have a problem with wearing out it's welcome in the middle game, but it's still a good card.

Tribute 5
Not my absolute favorite card, but it's fun.
With the Tribute, it depends on how the person to your left is playing: if he's getting lots of Action Cards, count on getting +4 Actions (useless unless you have other action cards in hand); if he's getting money galore, The Tribute can crank out +4 Coins. The Tribute is especially fun when your opponent reveals a Nobles, Great Hall, or Harem, because you get both bonuses, at the same time discarding your opponents stuff from the top of his deck.
But you'll probably say bad words when your opponent reveals 2 coppers, because all you get is a lousy 2 coins, and very expensive ones at that, though this doesn't usually happen.
The Tribute is random, but that's probably why it's so much fun to play. Plus the thematic idea is fun... "Pay tribute to me, scrawny farmer!"

Nobles and Harem 6
Actions and cards and money and points at the same time!? Oh yeah!

Secret Chamber 2
Another card that turns useless victory cards (and leftover action cards) into useful money. On top of that, when your opponent plays a Swindler (or a Saboteur, or a Theif), it's almost like choosing what he gets!

Bridge 4
Mining Village, Mining Village, Bridge, Bridge, Bridge! Duchy, Duchy, Duke, Duke!!! Don't think this can't happen!
Especially when combined with the Secret Chamber, Mining Villages and Bridges are a winning way to the Duke Strategy.

Duke 5
+1 point for every Duchy you have. Doesn't sound too upsettingly good, but just try it sometime whole-heartedly, without deviation: you'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Courtyard: I'm in agreement that courtyard is a fantastically under priced card. I'm sure that this is just because I've come to understand and value its resourcefulness. That ability to setup your next hand with an action card or coin that you don't need or can't use is just too satisfying. Not to mention the fact that you are saving a valuable, otherwise wasted, resource for your next turn. This seems to have immense value.

Bridge: I'm looking forward to the next time I see Bridge out there with one of the +2 action cards. Oh Bridge and Festival. That would be interesting.

One of my favorite combos is scout and cellar. Especially late in the game, I found myself cycling much of my deck, and swimming in coin. This is one I'm dying to find in a game where one of your favorites is present, the Baron. That just seems to make for a natural combo, perhaps with the Duke about as well. Too fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAAAHHH!!! I forgot the Scout! Yes, another favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smcclure415 wrote:

Bridge: I'm looking forward to the next time I see Bridge out there with one of the +2 action cards. Oh Bridge and Festival. That would be interesting.

I'm quoting myself, and that seems a bit pretentious. In any case. I got my wish and played Festival and Bridge today. It seriously didn't hit for me. I'm thinking there has to be card drawing as well.. a lot of card drawing. I may be doing something wrong. I'll have to keep at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smcclure415 wrote:
smcclure415 wrote:

I'm quoting myself, and that seems a bit pretentious. In any case. I got my wish and played Festival and Bridge today. It seriously didn't hit for me. I'm thinking there has to be card drawing as well.. a lot of card drawing. I may be doing something wrong. I'll have to keep at it.

Bridge and Festival... assuming that there is a Smithy or something like that. Sorry for not making that clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Favorite card from Intrigue is Upgrade. I have come to think it may be the best 5 cost card in both Dominion and Intrigue.

The key is to be able to cycle through your deck quickly.... that way you can continually upgrade all of your stuff.

Another surprisingly good card in practice is ... Minion. At first glance it seemed to be an overcosted silly card with entirely too much text. In practice it became a nice way to burn through your deck or +2 money for buying. Maybe I liked it so much, because there was Minion and Upgrade when I played it. And I just wanted to keep going through my deck to continue upgrading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
My Favorite card from Intrigue is Upgrade. I have come to think it may be the best 5 cost card in both Dominion and Intrigue.

The key is to be able to cycle through your deck quickly.... that way you can continually upgrade all of your stuff.

Another surprisingly good card in practice is ... Minion. At first glance it seemed to be an overcosted silly card with entirely too much text. In practice it became a nice way to burn through your deck or +2 money for buying. Maybe I liked it so much, because there was Minion and Upgrade when I played it. And I just wanted to keep going through my deck to continue upgrading.

I think Trading post is a better 5-cost if you can get it early.

Saboteur might be the "best" 5-cost in that if it's in play it's sort of imperative that you get it as quickly as possible an use it as often as possible to completely wreck your opponents games. Both their ability to play as well as the ability for everyone to enjoy the game.

Saboteur is awful and should never have been printed

Tribute is another 5-cost that has been more popular than upgrade when I've seen people play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Like the "Evil Overlord" combo.

Demand Tribute, and when you get extra actions play Torturer.

"Not Good Enough!"

Definitely fun to play :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Rosendal
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

I like upgrade better. You can buy two and play them, trash 2 cards and get two new. They whole, +1 card, +1 action is why I like it better.
Later, you upgrade your upgrade to gold. You keep upgrading, whereas trading post becomes a dead card after you have used it 4 times(7 coppers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qute wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

I like upgrade better. You can buy two and play them, trash 2 cards and get two new. They whole, +1 card, +1 action is why I like it better.
Later, you upgrade your upgrade to gold. You keep upgrading, whereas trading post becomes a dead card after you have used it 4 times(7 coppers)

Ah yes, but I've found that Upgrades also wear out in the end. They're better with a Steward or Masquerade so that you can trash THEM later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.