Popular Tags: [View All]
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a two-player game of Ghost Stories last night, using power tokens and two neutral boards. Our boards were red and green, with blue and yellow being neutral. We seemed to get through the rules OK, with one exception...

When using a power token to use the power of the blue board (ask villager and exorcise ghost) when can you use these abilities. The rules say "any time during your yang phase", which elsewhere is meant to be any of the following:

A) Before moving
B) After moving
C) After actions / placing Budhas

I took this to mean that the green player (my friend) could do the following:

Spend the power token on the blue board before movement to:
1) Ask the villager on the tile he's on for help.
2) Try to exorcise a ghost on an adjacent tile.

And then, continue with his normal turn:
3) Move to a new tile
4) Ask villager or exorcise ghost

My friend seemed to think that this wasn't right, and that the power token should only be used after a player's own movement has occurred. I'm not sure I agree, especially after reading the rule that you can use multiple power tokens during the same turn, some of which are action oriented, and some of which (ie: red) are movement.

However, it's a little fuzzy from reading the printed rules. Anyone out there know what the official ruling for this is?

Thanks in advance!

(P.S. We lost a very close game on a die roll before losing our last chi tokens. So this uncertainty might actually have cost us the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a sense you're both right and wrong. The power you chose to activate must be used at the time it is usually used, you can't break the rules with it. E.g. you wanted to move AFTER asking for help/exorcising, which clearly isn't allowed. You play the Power Token whenever it would be appropriate to use the power you are activating. For example if you want to use the yellow "take a free tao before moving" power, you have to use that before you do your (optional) move. Likewise, if you want to activate red's Fly ability, you have to do that in your movement phase. Blues ability is clearly used after your (optional) move, since it affects the way you ask for help/exorcise. Green is special in this case, since it affects your entire Yang phase. Hope that helped :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That helps, and makes sense when you describe it like that. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.